This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

How Do You Keep Your Decks?

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Dr.Dunbar
Seer

How Do You Keep Your Decks?

Post by Dr.Dunbar »

Greetings friends. I was curious to find out how most of you keep/store your cards. Do you keep them in the manufactured box that they came in? Do you make your own boxes? Do you wrap them in silk? Do you keep them in a cloth bag? Also, I was wondering if any of you have noticed a difference in readings when you have moved your cards from one storage medium to another. Did your readings become less accurate or more accurate, or was there no change at all? I'm a firm believer that every tarot deck has an energy and if you take care of your cards that energy becomes stronger over time and use. Thoughts anyone? Sorry in advance if this has been addressed already in this forum. :)
Diana
Sage

Re: How Do You Keep Your Decks?

Post by Diana »

I keep my cards in their original box. When the box gets too old or falls apart, I chuck the box away and put an elastic band round my cards to keep them together. I have a drawer where I keep my decks. Not very neat but they're well cared for.

In my universe, the cards are just pieces of paper with ink and don't imbibe anything. The Tarot, like all wisdom, does not inhabit cards, at least not the ones I own, but is within. Sort of like the kingdom of god. You know "the kingdom of god is within you". So when it comes to the Tarot, I reckon it's the same.

Silk is actually not such a nice business. They boil the silkworms alive. I read a lot about it when I was an animal rights activist.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

My first 2 decks I made a little drawstring bags for out of velvet.

Subsequent decks remain in their original boxes. Most of the boxes are pretty good quality, but some of the tuck-boxes get a little shabby or come apart, but so far I've kept them together. I keep them in a little cupboard.

If a box gives out, I'll probably make another little bag for the deck. But I agree with you, I'm pretty careful with my cards and boxes out of respect for the cards. When I'm done using them I like to put them back "home" in their box or bag all nice and straight and snugly packed. It feels right. Leaving them out feels uncomfortable to me, and I'm not like that about anything else. Just my cards.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

In my little world, there are The Tarot Commandments. (the exact number has yet to be determined)

Thou Shalt Not Separate The Cards From Their Original Box
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

That's funny! I have just re-organized my collection! again.... :shock:

I have now twelve open boxes (actually cardboard baking trays but pretty nice) and keep my decks in theme groups: abstract and modern art, angels and Christianity, mythological, celestial, Inner Child and fairy tales, Thoth-inspired, RWS "clones" etc

Most of my decks have their own bags - sewn, crocheted or embroidered, even some bought bags. Until yesterday, I kept the boxes in a separate place because it's easier to take the decks out of a soft bag than from a tight cardboard box. I also didn't want to damage the boxes.

But now, I have made enough room for the decks to put the boxes next to them. I also put the books for each deck next to them. I put some incense with the decks, I like them to smell nice.

The reason for this re-organization is that on March 21, I'll start my fourth (!!!) year of my tarot calendar, and I have exhausted the groups of decks I used before. It's a new start, and it really makes me very happy.

My study turns more and more into a tarotorium. (most of my tarot books are on my Kindle, some in my bedroom, but it was highly satisfying to distribute them on the shelves!)

img_20200318_061817.415.jpg
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

TarotShelvesSmall.jpg
TarotShelvesSmall.jpg (149.64 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
I keep mine on a bookcase in my studio. This is an old photo, and there are more and they're somewhat untidy now and really in need of reorganisation. They stay in their boxes, stacked by types such as Limited Editions, historical, Lo Scarabeo, Il Meneghello, US Games, large box/book sets etc., and I keep cards I've made bags for in boxes saved from gifts. I had a bag-making passion a few years ago and made use of the collection of fabrics and old beads, lace and embroidery saved from when I used to make different things a very long time ago.

I look on them as little art galleries in boxes and treat them as art prints and handle them carefully.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Oh, how wonderful to look into other peoples' precious tarot spaces!

I have by now re-established my little altar (that was on a more cat-exposed place before and was ravaged regularly by those beasts!). I made the picture before I added also the old Balinese statue of the Moon goddess, a statuette that I love - it was my mother's and I loved it as a child. The altar is on a shelf in the same book case as my decks. I put it inside a cardbox box that used to hold my tarot collection when it was small :-) Let's hope the cats will leave it alone now!

img_20200319_210255.171 (2).jpg

I hope the black madonna will bring mercy to the world.
angelblue
Seeker

Post by angelblue »

I have a sandalwood box I inherited from my grandma when she died. It used to have her jewellery in and it's perfect, makes me feel like she's guarding them
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

Love this post!
I keep things in the box if it's good quality, (Hay House do wonderful boxes) but I love looking after decks by finding suitable things to make them bags. I am clumsy, so tuck boxes are not the best for me. These are the bags I make- I add padding and make them oversize so I can put things in. Thinking of adding little pockets for herbs and crystals next time! I like making them into little stories, almost, and I'm fussy about the fabric.

I'm one of those scandalous people who have no qualm about altering decks, so I don't mind getting rid of boxes if they don't serve the purpose, so long as I have a better replacement!

I do use silk sometimes, however as I'm veggie I buy used silk scraps on Ebay from people's old craft projects, and dye it myself. I prefer using natural fibres if I can, rather than silk-substitutes, as I'm uncomfortable with creating plastic waste. I know there's never one easy answer to these things though! I also for some reason prefer the idea of letting decks 'breathe'. Generally I use cotton, or linen.

These are a mix of things, pic 1 from l-r clockwise: Storyworlds cards, Cosmic Tribe, bit of Crystal Visions and Celestial, Wildwood (I imagine that as a canopy of trees and a starry sky)
and pic 2, Crystal Visions from thrifted cloth, Druidcraft (with yarn I spun and knitted myself), Lisa Hunts Ghosts and Spirits, US Games Marseilles, Celestial.
20200323_161334.jpg
20200323_161337.jpg
Raven
Seer

Post by Raven »

I love my decks! I collect them and use them. So, I like to use little bags for them which I will sometimes put back in the bigger kit boxes with their respective books. They are like my children.

I have them all over the house.

What I love to do, is to perfume the boxes or the bags. My very sacred Sacred India Tarot, I keep wrapped up in a perfumed silk scarf inside a beautiful sandalwood box.
Attachments
IMG_0729 2.jpg
IMG_0728 2.jpg
IMG_0727 2.jpg
IMG_0726 2.jpg
"Forgive those who don't know how to love you. They are teaching you how to love yourself."

"Ah, kindness, what a simple way to tell another struggling soul that there is love to be found in this world."

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
- Hamlet
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

jobarghest wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 16:43
I'm one of those scandalous people who have no qualm about altering decks, so I don't mind getting rid of boxes if they don't serve the purpose, so long as I have a better replacement!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

although I must admit those are really beautiful bags.
Congratulations to those of you who are proficient with needle/thread/crochet hooks and sewing machines.
(this coming from someone who can barely sew on a shirt button.)
Dr.Dunbar
Seer

Post by Dr.Dunbar »

jobarghest wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 16:43 I'm one of those scandalous people who have no qualm about altering decks, so I don't mind getting rid of boxes if they don't serve the purpose, so long as I have a better replacement!
I agree! I actually make all new boxes for my cards so that they are more personalized. It makes them feel more "mine" if that makes any sense. I also just started making these boxes on Ebay, so if anyone needs a quality custom made box for your cards and wants to help out a starving artist at the same time, please stop by my shop...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DunbarDesignStudio

:D
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Dr.Dunbar wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 18:08 I also just started making these boxes on Ebay, so if anyone needs a quality custom made box for your cards and wants to help out a starving artist at the same time, please stop by my shop...

Your boxes are splendid. I would certainly buy one if I needed a box. I wish you much success. I'll promote you wherever I can. I've finally relented due to the covid-19 to join facebook (I still hate the thing though - as soon as we're no longer confined I'll probably delete my account) and I've joined a couple of Tarot groups to while the time away. I'll tell them about you.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I just re-united my decks with their boxes. I thought it's easier to keep them in their bags (I make bags for most of my decks) but actually, that was a mistake. Now I have them in their box and then in a bag :-)

I love seeing how everybody keeps their collections. For me, it's like a museum, all these wonderful series of artworks. Even my family admits that my collection looks quite pretty!

And now I'm off to have a look at Dunbar's design boxes!

Here is an example bag. I call this shape a cruciform wrap and I have made many different models. I think I invented this kind of tarot wrap :-)

constellation closed.jpg

Constellation tarot, closed

constellation open.jpg

And when I open it, I can use it as reading cloth.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Dr.Dunbar wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 18:08 I agree! I actually make all new boxes for my cards so that they are more personalized. It makes them feel more "mine" if that makes any sense. I also just started making these boxes on Ebay, so if anyone needs a quality custom made box for your cards and wants to help out a starving artist at the same time, please stop by my shop...

There used to be discussion threads on the ye olde AT forum about making your own custom boxes, but the work involved is ridiculous, especially to get them precision perfect.

Your boxes are certainly just that and the color/design schemes are exquisite. A very professional presentation.

Actually, in the long run, purchasing one of your custom boxes is also more cost-effective, instead of investing $ in the tools and materials trying to do it all on your own.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Nemia wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 18:47
Here is an example bag. I call this shape a cruciform wrap and I have made many different models. I think I invented this kind of tarot wrap :-)

And when I open it, I can use it as reading cloth.
;) that's ingenious!
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Dunbar's boxes are beautiful and look totally professional. I'm impressed!
Dr.Dunbar
Seer

Post by Dr.Dunbar »

Diana wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 18:14 Your boxes are splendid. I would certainly buy one if I needed a box. I wish you much success. I'll promote you wherever I can. I've finally relented due to the covid-19 to join facebook (I still hate the thing though - as soon as we're no longer confined I'll probably delete my account) and I've joined a couple of Tarot groups to while the time away. I'll tell them about you.
Thank you SO much! I'm just chomping at the bit to get started on a box for someone (who will actually be my first Etsy customer). I love how everyone has a fun and personally unique way to keep their cards. It's nice seeing what everyone is doing! :D
Dr.Dunbar
Seer

Post by Dr.Dunbar »

Papageno wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 19:04 Your boxes are certainly just that and the color/design schemes are exquisite. A very professional presentation.

Actually, in the long run, purchasing one of your custom boxes is also more cost-effective, instead of investing $ in the tools and materials trying to do it all on your own.
Thank you, Papageno! Yes, I've definitely mastered the craft at this point, having made boxes for all of my decks, each one fits like a glove. :D
Dr.Dunbar
Seer

Post by Dr.Dunbar »

Hi everyone! I've now added my handmade custom one-line monograms to my Etsy store. They make great gifts and are not expensive. Hope you will stop in and check it out:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/789205425/ ... ve_1&frs=1

Hope everyone is doing well and getting some extra Tarot readings in with all the at-home time we're getting. ;)
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

I love the idea of perfuming them! I keep meaning to use different oils to suit the decks, but haven't yet got round to it with my chaotic approach to life. :lol:
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I keep my decks together with incense, I love the scent :-) When I kept the decks in closed boxes, the scent was even more intense, but even in open boxes, the incense makes itself felt.
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

Papageno wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 17:49
jobarghest wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 16:43

:lol: :lol: :lol:

although I must admit those are really beautiful bags.
Congratulations to those of you who are proficient with needle/thread/crochet hooks and sewing machines.
(this coming from someone who can barely sew on a shirt button.)
Honestly I'm like chaos personified with a sewing needle :lol: The cool thing about these type of bags is most of the actual sewing is done inside-out, so it looks deceptively tidy when you turn them the right way round at the end! I use this tutorial, but with an extra padding layer
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

jobarghest wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 16:50
Honestly I'm like chaos personified with a sewing needle :lol: The cool thing about these type of bags is most of the actual sewing is done inside-out, so it looks deceptively tidy when you turn them the right way round at the end!
thank's for the tutorial, although it's entirely lost on me.
I basically understand the "concept" of the process, but it's nothing I'll be attempting anytime soon LOL :lol:

but I don't carry Tarot decks around with me and only use a bag out of necessity if there's a deck that came without a box.

you...."slice n dice" people :roll: ....honestly.

admittedly that bag you have featured is VERY handsome indeed, almost like an evening clutch.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Nemia wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 16:48 I keep my decks together with incense, I love the scent :-) When I kept the decks in closed boxes, the scent was even more intense, but even in open boxes, the incense makes itself felt.
...........more intense!? OMG... and YOU, YOUNG LADY......you're another one :lol: .....Ok, I get the whole "incense" routine thing......I despair.
The Tarot Commandments count is up to three: Image Thou Shalt Not Slice and Dice Thy Tarot Decks Thou Shalt Not Incense or Perfume Thy Tarot Decks

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”