This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Convos Tarot of Marseilles by Otto Spalinger

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Diana
Sage

Convos Tarot of Marseilles by Otto Spalinger

Post by Diana »

The Convos TdM is little spoken of and little used. There are good reasons for this I think, but at the same time I believe it deserves a lot more credit than it's given. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/convos-marseille/

This deck was designed by a Swiss artist, Otto Spalinger. https://www.spalingerkunstart.com/sonstiges

I met Otto Spalinger at an exhibition once and he told me the story behind the deck. I found the info that he'd told in a post I'd written that was buried deep on Aeclectic.

Otto Spalinger had previously done some artwork for AGMuller (a Swiss company). They contacted him to ask him whether he would draw a new Tarot of Marseilles that they could put on the market. Otto wasn't into Tarot when they contacted him. He accepted their offer (they paid him a most ridiculously low fee - nearly fell of my seat when he told me.)

Otto then got to studying the Tarot and based his deck on the Conver. However, there was no point in copying the Conver 100%, as this deck already existed, so he added his own special touch in the actual drawings. He also told me that he had to be very careful due to existing copyright laws. (I wish people would stop copyrighting the Tarot of Marseilles. It's very vulgar :evil: ).

Anyway, not being an esoterist or such-like, he decided not to add anything strange or odd to the deck (like adding eggs à la Camoin or head-scratching additions à la Rodez-Sanchez). He sort of stuck to tradition.

Otto did a fine job I think. Most people seem to like his deck in spite of its weaknesses. But is little used all the same. Maybe not many people own it anyway. And possibly the rather short and squat figures are not so appreciated, but he has not strayed into any wild imaginings and he didn't design his deck due to an ego-trip.

He earned at the time he told me about 1 dollar for each deck sold. AGMuller pockets the rest.

I remember Otto as a charming person and a gentleman. At the time he told me he remained interested in the Tarot of Marseilles which he had discovered through his work and really grew to respect it and have a certain reverence for it. I can't remember how much time AGMuller gave him to draw it - it was either two or four years.

Am pleased to own a signed deck. It's very special to me. "A Diana de Otto, 7 avril 2005, avec mon coeur". :D (He's Swiss German so his French is a bit wonky.)
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Amoroso
Sage

Re: Convos Tarot of Marseilles by Otto Spalinger

Post by Amoroso »

I like this Marseille, especially all that orange and gold. The paltry remuneration + royalties suck tho.

Seems like it's OOP?
Start strong
End stronger
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Amoroso wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 11:13 I like this Marseille, especially all that orange and gold. The paltry remuneration + royalties suck tho.

Seems like it's OOP?
I think I'll use it more often and see how I work with it. Can't be much different to other TdMs in usage.

It is OOP. But one can find used copies sometimes. There's one on Amazon now for 40 dollars.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
arlecchino
Seer

Post by arlecchino »

i really love this deck! i think the best part is the faces, they are so expressive and funny. XIII's teeth and the moon's surprised eye made me laugh out loud when i first opened it (that's never happened with a tarot deck before).

i found it on ebay in december for $10 (the box was destroyed and it still smells a bit cigarette-y)
testpattern
Seer

Post by testpattern »

I love the pips. The colors and media feel very mid century. The faces feel a little crammed, and I don't love the squashed everything. It almost looks like it was warped to fit in Photoshop on some cards. Others seem drawn to fit the broader canvas. So I don't know. Maybe the compression was just done with the eyeballs.
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

I went looking through his other artwork on his site and fell in love with several of his paintings. They are out of my budget but -not- overpriced. If he ever offered prints for sale, I would grab one of those to help patronize him. It made me wince to think of how inadequately he was paid (both upfront and in royalties) for the Convos tarot itself.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”