This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Heaven & Earth Tarot Kit - Lo Scarabeo

Share your own or your favourite Video Reviews here.
*Please do NOT post unboxing videos here, just reviews. Unboxing vids can be posted here
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Papageno
Sage

Heaven & Earth Tarot Kit - Lo Scarabeo

Post by Papageno »

Heaven & Earth Tarot Kit

Artsist: Jack Sephiroth
Text: Jaymi Elford

Publisher: Lo Scarabeo, October 2020

Purchase from:

https://www.llewellyn.com/product.php?ean=9780738767314

https://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Earth-Tar ... 731X&psc=1

This is one of the few decks that I’m aware of that actually credits the artist first (my personal cataloging preference).

The artwork is very dynamic but not overwrought, but that’s just IMHO.
The crepuscular atmosphere is well executed and not contrived just for the sake of evoking a “dark” or “ominous” mood.

The color palette is vaguely (I emphasize vaguely) reminiscent of some of Picasso’s monochromatic Cubist paintings,
but art experts will form their own opinions.

Some of the imagery is inspired by the Thoth Tarot as evidenced by the Hanged Man and the Nine of Cups. Many of the card titles are also Thoth inspired, but are concise enough to simply imply the suggested meaning/keyword without being overly dramatic, and work well graphically with the beautifully designed title banners in the lower border of the cards.

The stylized font is elegant and appropriate to the overall style of the artwork; while some reviewers have noted that the titles are a tad difficult to read,
I personally welcome this as an attribute rather than a hindrance.

This deck suggests a hybrid of Waite-Smith and Thoth, but the overall focus/energy of the imagery, to my mind, is solidly RWS, even taking into consideration the replacement of the Pages for Princess cards and the aforementioned Hanged Man and Nine of Cups.

Astrological, elemental and other symbols are evident but discreetly included, unlike some of the earlier decks of the 70’s and 80’s where they threw in everything but the proverbial kitchen sink to the point of being ridiculously intrusive and distracting.

The artwork showcases the artist’s skill at presenting the imagery from the most advantageous and revealing perspectives and vantage points, which add a tangible sense of depth and dimension.

……..and yes, of course I ordered this, but you figured that one out already :lol:

YouTube reviews:

[media] [/media]

A very polished presentation of the Heaven & Earth Tarot Kit and matching bag.
The bag is sold separately, it is NOT included in the boxed set.
There is no commentary, but this video is beautifully produced from a technical and aesthetic perspective and offers the best visual guide to the card images.

[media] [/media]

This video provides a detailed description of the companion book, which is all too often overlooked in many un-boxing videos.
The camera angle unfortunately doesn’t provide optimal viewing of the cards.

[media] [/media]

Here's an interesting side-by-side comparison of the Heaven & Earth Tarot, the Darkness of Light Tarot, and a standard Rider Waite-Smith deck.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Papageno
Sage

Re: Heaven & Earth Tarot Kit - Lo Scarabeo

Post by Papageno »

I just received this and the artwork exceeds expectations :D

Here is a very useful video that explains the symbols on the title banners:

Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Return to “Video Reviews”