This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Trick or Tarot by Duck Soup Productions

This section is for short reviews of your favourite decks.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
uscss.Nostromo
Seer

Trick or Tarot by Duck Soup Productions

Post by uscss.Nostromo »

I just received my Trick or Tarot Deluxe by Duck Soup Productions/Douglas Thornsjo.

http://www.tarotbyducksoup.com/

This is a wonderful Tarot deck which is a heart warming whimsical delight.

I would like to emphasize that whimsical in this context should not be interpreted to imply that this deck is either childish or amateurish, It is decidedly neither.
This Halloween themed photo collage Tarot is extremely well conceived and executed, and buyers have an option to purchase a companion book which I highly recommend.

The LWB that come with the deck is useless as most LWB's are, but the companion book is as equally well thought out as the deck itself and devotes a praise worthy chapter of approximately 47 pages called "A History of Shadow" detailing various European Halloween traditions that is culled from a variety of colorful source materials filled with delightful illustrations, stories, anecdotes and poetry.

The book is titled, "The Trick or Tarot Bogie Book" and is dedicated to the actress Carolyn Jones who played Morticia in the original 1964 TV series The Addams Family.
The preface/introduction recalls wonderful memories of his childhood Halloween celebrations and he concedes that Halloween is his personal favorite of all the holidays, and we can see this evidenced by the laudable quality of his Trick or Tarot.

Admittedly this genre of Tarot is way out of the norm for me, but after many hours of scrutiny and comparison I decided to go for it and I'm so glad that i did. It's a fun deck, yes one might even call it a frivolous deck, but it's a damn fine Tarot deck, and can you read with it?..........definitely YES.

Douglas Thornsjo put a lot of love into this and it shows. Bravo Duck Soup Productions :thumbsup:
spending a Night on Earth with Jim Jarmusch enjoying Coffee and Cigarettes
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: Trick or Tarot by Duck Soup Productions

Post by Charlie Brown »

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I have his Tinker's Damn, which is extremely well thought out and provocatively idiosyncratic. My friend as his companion Trick or Treat Lenormand deck, and I quite like that.
I believe in Crystal Light.

Return to “Quick Takes”