This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

My existing decks review

This section is for short reviews of your favourite decks.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Myperception
Sage

My existing decks review

Post by Myperception »

Since pandemic happened back in last year March, and our country had been lockdown on and off, my company also implemented work from home on rotation basis, it's causing alot of of impacts towards my normal day routine. Now, finally have a more time to catch up some interest that had been left behind due to busy schedule.

I was surveying some new deck online, searching for a deck that I feel like wanted to own. It's been around 2 years that I didn't add some inventory to my decks. But I am still yet to find an eye catching deck... Weird part was, I have a strong feelings that I need to buy a new deck, however, I still failed to pick at least one... these few days, my eyes were almost popping out after spending too long hours to searching the decks online :lol:

Let me share a little of my my existing decks review here :-
China Tarot (by Der Jen) - She was a famous artist from Taiwan, well known in women portrait. Unfortunately she passed away on 2012 of aged 37yr old. To me, it's a deck that worth keep as art collection, more than a reading deck.

Chinese Tarot (by Jui Guo Liang) - This is more to a taoism influence and chinese legendary deck. It's a very fun deck to me, if a person interested in Asia culture & beliefs, taoism teaching, and china legendary stories, it will be a good and fun pick. There are 4 words description on every cards, it served as a quick reference while reading.

Golden Botticelli & Golden Tarot of KLIMT - Both was given to me as a gift in 2014. It's been 7 years, I did use it to practise my weekly deck back in 2019 I think, but after then remain kept in my drawer. I like the art details for both, especially those gold hint. Anyway if I have time and motivation to study more history about these 2 decks, more background knowledge I gain, probably I will use it more often. Again, both were perfect quality art piece for me.
* Golden Tarot of KLIMT majority nude human body drawing, if reading for people in face to face, maybe other deck can be a better option.

Rana George Lenormand, Rider Waite Smith Tarot, Everyday Witch Tarot - These 3 are very colourful drawing decks, I used these more often. Very fond of the vivid colours of human characters, actions, environment etc shown in every cards, it manage to grab my interest to read the card spread like reading story books.

I am a little worried to have the "hunger" to hunt for new decks, will I become a Deck Lust ?!! :lol: I hope I won't ! LOL......

Anyone would like to share which is your favourite decks? or anyone would like to share your opinions or suggestions on which deck I can possible buy it? or any recommendation?

I think a new deck will help or easily draw your interest back to card readings, right? I am getting abit lazy, undeniable..... no good, I need to change, this is a bad habit :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Re: My existing decks review

Post by Rose Lalonde »

Myperception wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 05:18...I think a new deck will help or easily draw your interest back to card readings, right?...
I don't own any of the decks you're reviewing except the RWS, so I'm no help on a deck suggestion, but I do agree with what you said about a new tarot, assuming the deck is one that makes you feel enthusiastic about working with it. That happened to me in 2016 when the new deck I got reignited my interest and became my go-to reading deck, and even now it still has more to teach me.
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

I'm sorry I didn't read this thread earlier but it caught my eye at last and I put a lot of thought into it.

I'm one of the most useless people I know for recommending decks to other people, especially for general reading. So much of what I've been doing for the past 9 months is more academic or esoteric and like you in the past, I've been reading mostly with gifts from friends. Shopping for "what do I like?" tends to put me into choice paralysis.

But I looked at the decks that you talked about liking and it dawned on me they had a lot of traits I'd noticed in something I'd seen on Benebell Wen's website. So I went looking for her "These are my personal favorites" and sure enough!

Here are Top 5 Decks [Benebell Wen] Can’t Live Without (2019) and if I was going to pick one of these for myself?

... I would still have a hard time selecting one (other than I don't need another RWS-clone deck) but I ~might~ favor BW's own 31 card oracle deck just because it different from what I own and something new to explore but classical wisdom in its own way.

And its a free download so you could customize from there. Even better! So that is my suggestion possibly? Chinese Oracle Bone Divination Cards 2.0
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

Hah, coincidentally that list Loracular links to suggests the Tabula Mundi, which is the same deck I was referring to in my post above when I mentioned one that reignited my interest. (But I'm not actually suggesting it for you, myperception, since you mentioned liking a lot of human figures in tarot decks at least, and TM's minors don't have them.)
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

I would say Shadowscapes Tarot is Must have for it's artistic value & wonderful insight it provide even I only use it for personal readings & not to read for others you can get good idea about it via android app as it include deck n book! :mrgreen:

also Luv Mucha Tarot for Art sake imo it works well as rws clone bit on feminist side & read wonderful in general

similar to Golden Universal Tarot that works perfect as flashy Gold foil rws substitute for public readings! :mrgreen:

Return to “Quick Takes”