This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Simplicity Tarot by Emilie Muniz

This section is for short reviews of your favourite decks.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Nemia
Sage

Simplicity Tarot by Emilie Muniz

Post by Nemia »

People who read Benebell Wen's blog regularly may have seen it already - there's a new review! I have always admired Benebell's ability to write reviews that give a real feel of a deck, and this is no exception. I don't own the deck (and can't afford an Etsy deck right now anyway) but I'm sure I'm not the only one impressed by the Simplicity Tarot.

Benebell says this is not a beginner-only deck, and experienced readers can also work well with it. It's certainly not dumbed-down - it's clear, beautiful, with a lot of airy white negative space, with key words, and a simple white border. Ethnic diversity - some gentle play with gender stereotypes (the Charioteer is a beautiful black woman) - they're important and I'm glad to see it.

The court cards are RWS - this deck is for RWS aficionados, and there's nothing wrong with it.

The shop offers also bags and spread cloths and I confess, I love such matchy-matchy environments for readings.

the only thing I dislike are the curlicues on every card. They're a bit too heavy and emphasized for my taste and just hang around. I'd prefer a deck without this decorative element. I'm not principally opposed to decorative touches that unite a deck visually, I love the Star Spinner circles in the corners, but in the Simplicity Tarot, I feel it's a bit heavy-handed, especially in light of the name and is otherwise pared-down look. But this is really personal taste.

Looking at it again - if the Morgan Greer and the Dreaming Way Tarot had started a family together, this deck might have been one of their offspring :-)

Otherwise, it's an attractive deck. After Benebell wrote her review, I guess it won't fly under the radar any more and I'm glad for it. Isn't it strange that sometimes there are hypes around decks, and others seem to make no waves at all?

I have to add - I'm really curious if the artist, Emily Muniz, will create a second deck and how that will look! I have a feeling she has a lot more to say and I'd love to see it.
Nemia
Sage

Re: Simplicity Tarot by Emilie Muniz

Post by Nemia »

I noticed it only now - Emilie Muniz contributed to the Buttonsoup Tarot. The Ten of Swords, a very beautiful and expressive card. So if you have the Button Soup Tarot, look it up!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Simplicity Tarot by Emilie Muniz

Post by Joan Marie »

Nemia wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 15:49 I have to add - I'm really curious if the artist, Emily Muniz, will create a second deck and how that will look! I have a feeling she has a lot more to say and I'd love to see it.

Emily recently (like yesterday) posted on Facebook that she has completed the final card (Strength) for her next deck, Fox Crystal Tarot.

She says "Coming Soon!" so we'll keep an eye out for that.
BTW- This makes me think that in World of Decks news I need to start including the artist's name in the listing.

Fox Crystal Tarot.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “Quick Takes”