This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Mary Packard - Tarot de Marseille

This section is for short reviews of your favourite decks.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Papageno
Sage

Mary Packard - Tarot de Marseille

Post by Papageno »

Many people will no doubt consider this an act of heresy 😱 punishable by being burned at the stake like an accused dark magician or sorceress of old.

I present the Mary Packard edition of the PIERRE MADENIÉ, Dijon, 1709 Tarot de Marseille.

No, this is certainly NOT anything akin to the esteemed edition by Yves Reynaud.

However, for those who just want to take an occasional break from the Haute Mondial of the prestigious Salon Privé editions of Marseille decks, and just want to have something frivolous and pretty to read with, the Mary Packard printing fills the bill for me.

Here’s a picture of the card back:

.......updated April 9, 2020, No Pictures of the cards .....lost them in my imgbb account. oh well, you can Google them.
I really don't feel like taking iPhone snapshots of them.

I love the card backs and the slightly grungy images that look as though they’ve been smudged by residual ink from a woodblock printers press.

The original images have been vigorously cleaned up and the outlines are obviously redrawn, bearing only a superficial resemblance to the authentic historical reproduction by Yves Reynaud.
They are, however, still recognizable and the overall essence and integrity of the images is reasonably intact.

The Packard version can only be described as something of a frilly fantasy deck, like something one might imagine being used by aristocrats at the court of Louis XIV or in the hands of the ancient and noble Italian family of Borghese, perhaps a copy survived the centuries and came into the possession of a Russian Imperial Grand Duke or Duchess, or resided in the library of a British Lord.

Ya know, sometimes you just gotta lighten up and have a little fun with all this.

FYI, be sure you purchase the English language edition unless you're fluent in French.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: Mary Packard - Tarot de Marseille

Post by Charlie Brown »

I don't see any problem.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

I hadn't seen that deck before. A similar one, if you haven't already seen it, is the Mamanmiyuki. A Japanese woman redrew the Madenié. I have the mini, but there was also a full size at one point. These are my scans on AT.

(Often the little Mamanmiyuki winds up in my bag and travels. My favorite TdM, the Yves Madenié, stays at home on the reading table.)
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Rose Lalonde wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 06:59 A similar one, if you haven't already seen it, is the Mamanmiyuki. A Japanese woman redrew the Madenié. I have the mini, but there was also a full size at one point. These are my scans on AT.
I've never seen that edition before, thank you for posting that AT link, but then again I was never an aficionado of the Marseille decks and tradition until very recently. I used to avoid the Marseille discussions on AT completely.

It's interesting, her color palette imparts a very organic feeling to the images.
Her choice of brown instead of black for the Batons and Swords, and the various shades of green applied to the trees of The Hanged Man, and then carried over to the Queen of Batons and the King of Denier.

The backs are charming, I love the little bunnies.

If you were on AT (everybody was back then), then you might be aware of the 1980 "Angel Tarot", printed by Angel Playing Card Mfg. Co., Ltd, Japan for U.S. Games Systems.

Now there's an odd little deck for you, charming and quirky, definitely a very unique perspective on the Marseille tradition.
Even the arrangement of the Batons and Swords are unique, but they do work in their own way.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Charlie Brown wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 06:55 I don't see any problem.
Neither do I :D, obviously.

It's really interesting how many independently printed variants there are on the TdM.
As I just pointed out to Rose LaLonde, I used to avoid the Marseille discussion threads and never saw any value in those editions other than for their historical value. I remember back in the day when the TdM people were clamoring for a copy of the Dussere, Dodal.

Still, I suspect there's at least 500% more RWS clones and variants out there than there will ever be in the TdM and Thoth worlds combined, It's mind-boggling.
However, it's nice to see the emergence of viable hybridized variants with real integrity.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I really love the card backs on both of these decks.

They both have a real warmth, a real charm.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Joan Marie wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 11:11 I really love the card backs on both of these decks.

They both have a real warmth, a real charm.
Yes, it's the warmth or lack thereof, of the color palette and technique that can make a huge difference in the perception of the artwork, and subsequently the way in which you approach reading with any particular deck.
I recently looked at a few decks online that were conceptionally brilliant, but they left me feeling cold and bleak, it's all very subjective.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Have you considered the TdM circle?
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Charlie Brown wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 15:52 Have you considered the TdM circle?
do you mean the TdM study group threads here?
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

Papageno wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 08:46If you were on AT (everybody was back then), then you might be aware of the 1980 "Angel Tarot", printed by Angel Playing Card Mfg. Co., Ltd, Japan for U.S. Games Systems.

Now there's an odd little deck for you, charming and quirky, definitely a very unique perspective on the Marseille tradition.
Even the arrangement of the Batons and Swords are unique, but they do work in their own way.
I had not come across that either, thanks. I see that it's been out for a long time, but I managed to miss it.

Not to raise the stakes ;) , but if I go full-on-whimsy, there's also the Tarot of Musterberg from Curio & Co. Their items have fictional backstories, so the story of its use at a turn of the century amusement park is not true. However the charming lwb is framed as the amusement park's handbook of cartomancy for employees. The card descriptions are surprisingly alright, referring back to the art.

musterbergQS.png
musterbergQS.png (267.55 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

If I hadn't decided some time ago that my collection was quite big enough I'd be terribly tempted by The Tarot of Musterberg.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

I'm actually quite fond of the Packard TdM Madenie. I like the large-size Cards, and the Box with the full gear (Pouch, Cloth, Book). But I did NOT like her version of the Visconti-Sforza - the rosy cheeks added on all the characters really put me off. While the Visconti Tarot is perhaps my all-time favorite (I have several versions), I could not deal with the Mary Packard one.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Papageno wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 04:11 Many people will no doubt consider this an act of heresy 😱 punishable by being burned at the stake like an accused dark magician or sorceress of old.

I present the Mary Packard edition of the PIERRE MADENIÉ, Dijon, 1709 Tarot de Marseille.
Why would this be considered an act of heresy by some? I looked at all the cards on a youtube video and they seem just fine to me. Is there some controversy here that I'm not aware of?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Diana wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 06:26
Why would this be considered an act of heresy by some? I looked at all the cards on a youtube video and they seem just fine to me. Is there some controversy here that I'm not aware of?
there's always controversy, but that's all very subjective.

While researching my decks I discovered that Robert Place actually wrote the foreword to the book that comes with this set.
Chas. Brown and Michael Bridge-Dickson don't seem to have an issue with this edition, you don't seem to have an issue with it.

Scholarship aside, I liken these to the Visconti decks, at least in terms of the card proportions.
I'm impressed by the way the publishers were able to use a classic TdM and re-package it effectively with a very attractive face-lift, in a manner of speaking. I think the end result is both fun and dignified.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love the understated beauty and elegance of a really well produced museum reproduction, box, packaging and all.
That's just a different type of refined chic.

Someday I will create a deck for me, myself and I alone, with those same proportions, hand-painted, even the backs, each card individually.
and no I won't post pictures because this will be for my eyes only (thank you, James Bond), besides it'll be a zillion years before I ever complete such an ambitious project.

There's a vintage Soprafino deck (Majors only) that Meneghello produced in that manner, very stately looking, luxuriously proportioned cards with red lacquered backs or something. They had the right idea except that it should have been produced as a full deck IMHO. It's selling now for megabucks, no thanks.

Getting back to scholarship, I actually decided to find out how the Ignaz Krebs deck, got named Tarot Rhenan.
For the longest time, it was like, Rhenan, Rhenan what the hell is that about?

The deck was published in Austria, Ignaz Krebs came from Fribourg in Breisgau, which was part of Austria until 1805 and is now part of Germany.
It was de rigueur back then to publish tarot decks with French titles, hence Google Translate provides you with Rhenan = Rhine.

It's like being back in school. :roll:
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

The original meaning of the word heretic means "able to choose".

Middle English: from Old French heretique, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek hairetikos ‘able to choose’ (in ecclesiastical Greek, ‘heretical’), from haireomai ‘choose’.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)

Return to “Quick Takes”