This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Jindra Čapek Tarot deck and book set

This section is for short reviews of your favourite decks.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Papageno
Sage

The Jindra Čapek Tarot deck and book set

Post by Papageno »

I recently discovered an obscure, or perhaps simply overlooked, Tarot deck by the distinguished Czech artist, Jindřich Čapek, more popularly referred to as Jindra Čapek.

His art is simply breathtaking.

For the sake of preserving bandwidth and to provide you with the best images along with a comprehensive biography about Jindra Čapek, here is a link to his website:

http://jindracapek.cz/cv_en.html

Preface and explanatory text is authored by Vlasta Dušková

The English language edition is popularly referred to as the Reader’s Digest Tarot, simply because it was published by (drum roll)………Reader’s Digest in 2011.

Now don’t let that fool you, because I suspect some people might dismiss this off-hand when they see the caption, Reader’s Digest.

If it makes you feel any better think of The Wallace Foundation and Lila Acheson Wallace, heir to the Readers Digest fortune, whose endowment in 1967 funds fresh flowers in perpetuity to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC.
The floral arrangements at the Met's Great Hall (main entrance) are legendary.

This is a gorgeous boxed set that includes a substantial hardcover book with full-page color plates of the 22 cards.

This is a Major Arcana only deck.

The cards measure:
5.5 X 3.27 inches or 13.97 cm X 8.30 cm (approximately)

The full-page color plates of each card are supplemented by clarifying text along with smaller color images of corresponding Astrological/Zodiacal symbols and a symbol from the Minor Arcana.

The astrological/zodiacal artwork along with the (non-scenic) Pip symbols are also by Jindra Čapek.

The hardcover book is beautifully printed and of very high quality.
The card stock is rather flimsy, although very well printed.

ISBN 978-1-55475-081-8

There is also a French-language edition, different publisher and author:

Tarot de Marseille, Jindra Čapek, Emilie Porte, Boxed set + Book
Éditions France-Loisirs, 2008

The box design of both editions display identical art but the depictions are different, although the color of the boxes are also the same.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
fire cat pickles
Sage

Re: The Jindra Čapek Tarot deck and book set

Post by fire cat pickles »

I was just posting an example of this deck earlier today on my FB group as a "Card of the Day". I had been unsuccessful at finding anything else about it short of doing a reverse image search after finding it on pinterest (God, I hate pinterest!) Thank you for the the ISBN number :)

If anyone is interested and has money burning a hole in their pocket:
https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/is ... 554750818/
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

fire cat pickles wrote: 25 May 2020, 21:50 I was just posting an example of this deck earlier today on my FB group as a "Card of the Day". I had been unsuccessful at finding anything else about it short of doing a reverse image search after finding it on pinterest (God, I hate pinterest!) Thank you for the the ISBN number :)

If anyone is interested and has money burning a hole in their pocket:
https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/is ... 554750818/
you may not have to burn a hole in your pocket.

I just found this listing, although I have no idea about the veracity of the listing, although the description states "fulfilment by Amazon", which theoretically offers more protection:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

I'm going to pass for now, but a word to the wise, I would take a screen shot of this if one buys it, where it says "book and cards", I've already been burned once. I ordered from amazon recently and only got the book (it was the Runic Tarot). I was pretty certain it said "book and cards" when I ordered. I got a refund, but I was displeased, to say the least!

Return to “Quick Takes”