This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Beautiful Creatures Tarot 2nd Edition

This section is for short reviews of your favourite decks.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Genna
Seer

Beautiful Creatures Tarot 2nd Edition

Post by Genna »

Author J. R. Rivera Art Jasmine Becket-Griffith

Much of the artwork was not painted for this deck, and it is painted in the certain style of Becket-Griffith´s with large heads and big eyes; very beautiful for those of us who adore Jasmine Becket-Griffith´s style. She has done some Majors especially for this deck, and four cards are new since the first edition; especially the Lovers´card that I rather liked as was. THe new one is an angel pointing angrily at a mortal man and a female spinx who are in loveThe Devil, called Habit is very good, a girl holds on to a cat who has clawed her up very bad (I think she needs a cat psycologist), The Tower is The Decadence and shows Pandora with her box. There are many goddesses, witches, ladies from the 18th century, Alice in Wonderland, faeries, butterflies,cats, ravens, dragons and flowers. Rivera is doing something new with the court cards. Jasmine Becket-Griffith has painted one star sign for each court card (Knight,Queen and King). The Pages are Flower fairies. There are 2 extra cards; The Supernatural and You are one.

The thick colour illustrated book is very good and tell a story about every card and the meaning upright and reversed. I find it easy to work with now but you need to be able to see the RWS cars in your head when you read the card title (I think so, anyway). The Majors are numbered, Strength is 8 and Justice 11. The suits are Wands, Cups, Swords and Pentacles. Rivera has won a lot of awards and it was very popular with the publics award and readers award. The gilding is violet. EDIT; There is no explanation for eight of the court cards in the book. I´m disappointed; I bought the deck partly for it´s astrological court cards.

Unfortunately, the cards are not glossy but matt, and the box has three loose little parts to keep cards in two packs. I use a bag. Otherwise it´s nice and sturdy with magnetic lid.

It´s a charming deck to work with if you are very familiar with the RWS system. There are many interesting spreads in the book. I think this might become one of my favourites. It seems like Rivera maybe thought about young girls when he made this deck, but I advice beginners to keep a RWS deck nearby and look up the RWS card for each Beautiful Creature. And I think it is a lovely deck for all sexes and ages, if you love Jasmine Becket-Griffiths art as I do. The problem is that the art is produced with no Tarot in mind.

Love and Light, Genna.
ohanaoracle
Seeker

Re: Beautiful Creatures Tarot 2nd Edition

Post by ohanaoracle »

I love this deck! Jasmine is incredible and I only noticed one (?) image repeated in her other decks // the Alice in Wonderland Oracle with painting the roses red. I wish I had the 1st edition but it's so expensive to try to get it now that the 2nd is out! I have a run through of the 2nd on the YouTube for anyone who'd like to see all the cards before buying:

Return to “Quick Takes”