This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Cult of Weimar Tarot by Joan Marie Incontro

All members are welcome to post their original full reviews of any deck.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Nemia
Sage

The Cult of Weimar Tarot by Joan Marie Incontro

Post by Nemia »

The Cult of Weimar Tarot is a collage deck, focusing on the years of the Weimar Republic, i.e., Germany between the two World Wars and especially Berlin. In those years, Berlin was the dance floor of Europe - a dance floor on top of a vulcano that would soon break out and bury beneath it the avant garde art, the open and tolerant culture, the crazy sub-culture and everything else. Walking through Berlin today, you can still feel the heartbeat of those years vibrating beneath the many historical layers.
21 M The World SMALL.jpg

I was excited when I saw this deck for the first time, and I knew I had to have it. I spent many wonderful years in Berlin and explored its history and culture. The idea of seeking the archetypes, motifs and stories of the tarot in the Weimar atmosphere is creative and challenging, but also very apt. Aleister Crowly spent some years there, and interest in the occult was high. The art of the time, dominated by Expressionism and experiments in all genres, adds another interesting perspective - as do the many social challenges of the time and the down-to-earth character of the "Berliner as such".
19 M The Sun SMALL.jpg

Accordingly, I had high expectations, and the deck is no disappointment.

It adheres to the Classical structure of tarot decks with 78 cards. The suits are Wands, Cups, Swords and Coins. The cards are dark, surrounded by black borders and inner borders in unobtrusive dark colours: dark brown thicker frames for the Major Arcana, and thinner frames for the minor cards (metallic for Wands, dark red for Cups, very dark blue for Swords and brown for Coins). The colours are a bit more muted in print than on the website but very clear. The card stock is smooth, matte and very easy to shuffle. It doesn't have a plasticky feel to it.
01 Ace of Coins SMALL.jpg

The card backs are fully reversible and show a simple geometric pattern, reminding me of Bauhaus tiles or textiles.

The card numbers are in Roman numbers on top; the minors have no suit name, only a number but they're easy to recognize. The card titles on court cards and trumps are given in an interesting, spiky, asymmetrical font in capital letters at the bottom of each card.

The images themselves are collages of old photographs and other graphics. They're composed quite often like a stage, with the person in the foreground shadowed (of highlighted) against a background scene. In spite of the overall darkness of the scenes, the use of light and shadow is very clever and dramatic - there are pools of light that make the dark corners mysterious and sometimes threatening. Every detail on the cards has been chosen with care, and it's a pleasure to recognize some of the landmarks of Berlin in the background. What could be more suitable for the Chariot than Potsdamer Platz, the busiest place in Europe in those years?
01 ACE of Swords SMALL.jpg

The very well-thought out website gives the background stories to the people, places and motifs on the cards. Some of them are chosen so well it took my breath away. The fragile, dangerous beauty of Anita Berber appears on more than one card: as androgynous youth with monocle and skeptical face in the 10 of Swords, but also as dreamy, smiling beauty in the Star. She is actually the star of this deck with her chameleon-like ability to convey so many different facets of the human condition.
04 of Wands SMALL.jpg

Her partner and husband Sebastian Droste is similarly versatile: androgynous and brooding as Knight of Coins, sharp and dangerous as King of Swords. Together, Droste and Berber seduce us on the Devil card.

Earthy, world-wise Margo Lion is amazing as World and even better as Temperance, with her feet on the ground and butterfly wings sprouting from her shoulders. This is probably my favorite card.
14 King of Cups SMALL.jpg

There is a strong emphasis on theater and dance in the deck, and it's possible that the artist gravitated towards it naturally either because she is herself connected to these art forms, or because of the tarot's origins in staged processions, or both. (Or none.) This gives a visual and atmospheric unity to the deck and a strong narrative bond - when reading with it, it's easy to interpret the cards as scenes from a play.
08 M Strength SMALL.jpg

It's a coherent, intelligent and beautiful deck that manages to transcend the specific historic place and time that it conveys so well - and that's the test for every tarot deck. Even if you don't know anything about Weimar Germany and the period between the two wars, you'll still be able to read with this deck - you'll enjoy it less, though.
17 M The Star SMALL.jpg

Some figures I had expected did not appear: Walter Benjamin, the melancholic philosopher and flaneur, Albert Einstein, the genius, Bruno Taut, Kandinsky, Brecht... and some other key figures at the time. Especially in the court cards, I'd have loved to see them. But it's unreasonable to expect from an artist to pull out of her hat just the persons that I or anybody else associate with the Republic of Weimar. The mere fact that there are so many to choose from shows that the artist had good reason to create a tarot deck that reflects this period. Besides, the deck may well have disintegrated visually and conceptually, stuffing too much into one deck. The way it is, it's coherent, intelligent and very beautiful.
03 M The Empress SMALL.jpg

And the best: it feels fresh and relevant, but at the same time transports the spirit of its time to ours. I think that's what the artist set out to do, and she succeeded. When I moved into my first shabby room in a poor area of North Berlin, with no hot water and a coal oven, I might have found this deck in one of the cupboards, covered in dust but vibrant and alive as soon as I touch it....
07 of Wands SMALL.jpg
BreathingSince72
Sage

Re: The Cult of Weimar Tarot by Joan Marie Incontro

Post by BreathingSince72 »

What a wonderful review! My grandmothers’family on my father’s side migrated to the states from Germany in the late 1800s. Interestingly they had lived in a place called “Berlitt” which we now know as Berlin. The history of this deck intrigued me and it may be one I’ll have to add to my collection.
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Lysergicka
Seeker

Post by Lysergicka »

A fascinating deck to spotlight Nemia. I have not crossed paths with it, and the pack seems unique and vibrant.
Thanks for the review. I know someone who will adore this work.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Lysergicka wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 11:33 I have not crossed paths with it, and the pack seems unique and vibrant.
The first edition is now out of print (although I have a couple of decks stashed for give-aways)

I am currently working on releasing the second edition. There are some slight changes to the cards, all-new packaging and a (hopefully-I'm still writing it) 100-page booklet.

Hoping to have the Kickstarter opened in July.

01 ACE of Swords v2.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Wonderful news! It's a very special deck with a very special energy. Please keep us updated. I'm very curious how the new version will look.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I thought of you, Joan Marie, the other day when I was reading this article from The Guardian :

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... elebration
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 07:04 I thought of you, Joan Marie, the other day when I was reading this article from The Guardian :

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... lebration
Clearly I have captured the zeitgeist! 😉
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I just updated the cards from the 2nd edition of this deck in the library of decks and I saw the link to this review Nemia did a long time ago.

It was nice to see again.
The second edition is currently on Kickstarter.
I've made some improvements from the first edition. You can see the whole story, pretty much, here:

I'm so happy to be bringing this deck back.

Return to “Full Reviews”