This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Maria Celia Tarot by Lynyrd-Jym Narciso (Paraluman)

All members are welcome to post their original full reviews of any deck.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Nemia
Sage

The Maria Celia Tarot by Lynyrd-Jym Narciso (Paraluman)

Post by Nemia »

Filipino artist Lynyrd-Jym Narciso is an interesting, talented and prolific creator of tarot and Lenormand decks. You can buy his decks through his Paraluman Studio]website or via Etsy. There is an app on the market (which I don't know). He was active on AT and it was a privilege to see his decks emerge.

I want to review Narciso's Maria Celia deck, one of the most charming and vital modern interpretations of the Tarot de Marseille tradition.
The name Maria Celia is inspired by the word Marseille.

After the meteoric rise of RWS-style tarot decks with narrative scenes on the minors, the TdM tradition was overshadowed for many years by tarot innovations, but in the last few years I observe a rising interest both in new editions of classical decks and artistic re-interpretations. There are good books that teach you how to read a card with card symbols (pips) and additions like flowers.

I can recommend Yoav Ben-Dov’s “Open Reading” which was written with his own deck in mind. His method works for every pip deck, and there are other popular books available. You may add your own favorite book about reading with the TdM in the comments!

The artist works digitally, but his creations often remind me of wood cuts, which is of course very suitable for a new Tarot de Marseille. His lines are soft and vary in width (as though working with different carving knives), and the colouring is very soft and unusual. It reminds me works by artists like Max Ernst who didn’t apply colour directly to the intended surface but indirectly: first to another surface from where he transferred it by rubbing or pressing where he wanted it.

Narciso’s colour choices are unusual and break the tradition of TdM colour scheme of white background, black lines and primary colour blocks. In the Maria Celia, the background is artificially aged to look like aged parchment or cardboard, and the colours are far removed from the clarity of primary colours. They are muted mixed hues: may green, purple, pink, orange, mustard etc. Some cards have lovely stars in the background (Hermit, Papesse).

Each suit has its own subtly unique colour scheme, especially visible in the background. The majors have cloudy dark backgrounds; the Wands orange-reddish backgrounds; the Cups greenish-blue; the Swords purplish and the Pentacles yellow-greenish.

I’m no TdM expert and probably can’t identify the inspiration for this deck precisely, but some majors remind me of the Tarot de Bologna (which has muted colours as well), and also of the gorgeous Jean Payen TdM.

The facial expressions and body language, however, are Narciso’s very own. He doesn’t try to “clean up” the original faces like Yoav Ben Dov did, he treats them freely and they seem to like it. They are childlike, expressive, quirky and engaging. Look at that guy in the chariot. I swear he winks at me when I look at him sideways!

This deck will soon be available in a mass market edition – in a tin! The tin looks unbelievably pretty, and so does the deck.

The one thing the old Gamecrafter edition has and the new one doesn’t is the Happy Squirrel.

I love decks with Happy Squirrel cards, and probably no squirrel is cuter and smarter than this one. You can watch the scene from the Simpson’s on Youtube and have fun seeing the Happy Squirrel in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-dButYcv14

The cardbacks are lovely, the card stock is great (I have the old Gamecrafter version but can't imagine the new version will have worse cardstock), and the little copyright notice on the right doesn’t disturb me.

The card titles are in French, and the only slight detail that mars the overall impression is the choice of characters. A typewriter font doesn’t fit here – well, you might say, it’s like the colour choice a way to alienate, to break the link to tradition. But I belong to a generation who wrote their papers on typewriters, and when I see a typewriter font, I associate it with the moment of pressure – from my fingers to the keys, from the type to the paper. It’s a tiny discord in the otherwise gentle and delicate esthetic of the deck. I’m sure many people never notice it or like the unobtrusive simple characters.

I can recommend this deck wholeheartedly. If you want to ease your way into the TdM, you can start right here with the Maria Celia because it interacts nicely with the reader and invites interpretation.

stronglove
Sage

Re: The Maria Celia Tarot by Lynyrd-Jym Narciso (Paraluman)

Post by stronglove »

great review of a wonderful deck! it is not available though, neither through the artist’s website nor through the gamecrafter, where it used to be sold, nor with us games that was going to sell it next. have you any idea if and when it will become available again?
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I don't know, but maybe it's best to apply to the artist himself? http://paralumanstudio.blogspot.com/200 ... celia.html He is the kindest, most helpful person and he must know where his deck is available right now.

It's such a wonderful deck.

(And here is also the link to the AT thread about the deck.)
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

The USG version was delayed due to printing errors. At the very end of May, Ly posted the following info on another forum:

"I recently asked USG if they have a definite date of the re-release (after the corrections) - they said sometime in mid June, but it really depends on the printers... Like with how the original release got delayed and all...

Thanks everyone for your patience with this. I myself am also really anxious to see the deck out there."
BlueToy
Seeker

Post by BlueToy »

Hello all. This is Lynyrd, the deck's creator (I used to go by blue_fusion in Aeclectic but am now BlueToy in all the new forums). Charlotte is correct - that was from the last I heard from USG. Will be contacting them again since it is already around the estimated date they gave. Thanks all for your patience! I'm really excited to get my hands on the deck myself!

-Ly
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

BlueToy wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 19:25 Hello all. This is Lynyrd, the deck's creator (I used to go by blue_fusion in Aeclectic but am now BlueToy in all the new forums). Charlotte is correct - that was from the last I heard from USG. Will be contacting them again since it is already around the estimated date they gave. Thanks all for your patience! I'm really excited to get my hands on the deck myself!

-Ly
Thanks so much for stopping by and posting Ly. It will be a wonderful day when the deck finally arrives :)
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

yes, great to hear it will be available in the near future! will keep checking with us games to see when it’s there!
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

This is a great deck review. I think the colors on this deck are enchanting and I’ve thought about purchasing it. It is currently available here: https://www.collectarot.com/TAROT-DE-MA ... gs-tmc.htm Bob Lobis provides such exceptional customer service. I recommend this business highly.

I love creating art and ever since I discovered tarot, I’ve wanted to create a deck. Now that I have discovered the TdM, I would really love to create one. Not sure if I would want to do a restoration, a recreation or my own spin on it. I would probably want to stay within the tradition. Thanks for sharing this Nemia. 🙂
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

Just had an email from Book Depository to say my pre-order is on its way :D

Return to “Full Reviews”