This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Melanated Classic Tarot

All members are welcome to post their original full reviews of any deck.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
TheLoracular
Sage

The Melanated Classic Tarot

Post by TheLoracular »

Most of my tarot decks were purchased between 1990-2010. It's only been since last September that I started collecting again, this time with diversity & inclusivity in mind but I still wanted tarot decks infused with Western occultism.

I picked the Melanated Classic Tarot by Julia Gollsby & Oburia Tronshaw last December as my first Indie deck after having gone on a US Games Inc buying spree. It took almost a month from purchase to reach me but I'd been warned of that and Oubria emailed me the tracking information the day it went out.

Representation matters. This is a lovely RSW-style deck depicting only people of color, and doing so with diversity, love, and respect. The colors are both vivid but soft in a style that reminds me more of the Universal Waite vs. the Radiant.

The card stock is a little thin and the box top started to tear as I was carefully trying to get the deck out. BUT this is my very first indie-made deck purchase and I don't know what is "normal". I do know that Oubria wasn't happy working with that particular printer and I believe they are looking for another for the future.

I find Julia Gollsby's art to be beautiful. This edition has no border- the black border around them is merely the way I'd opted to scan them in. My scan does not do the deck justice either so I'm including a different version which also has a black/white border the actual deck doesn't have.
MCT Sun.jpg
MCT Sun.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 736 times

I'm not the biggest fan of the particular font they used for the titles on the cards or the way it contrasts with the art on many cards. But it doesn't hinder me in reading with this deck. I actually find the pictures themselves speaking to me immediately. Long experience with RWS-type decks makes them incredibly accessible for both divination and other projects.

The deck is available at Oubria.com and purchase includes access to a free 8 module tarot class that I haven't taken yet so can't comment on. It also has for $11 more a 142-page companion pdf companion book that I've skimmed. I consider the purchase worth it to support the artist/author and from what I skimmed? It is written in a very engaging style and really helps me see the cards from the creators' perspective which is important to me.

There is a 3rd edition that is larger and contains bible verses I will be picking up for study purposes. I was going to use the BOTA deck to teach Christian tarot with later this year but opted to use the Melanated instead because it better meets my 2020+ sensibilities and I love the idea of supporting living female black tarot artist/authors vs. dead male white tarot artist/authors no matter how much I adore Paul Foster Case and his contribution to tarot :)
Attachments
MCT_book_Sun.jpg
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons

Return to “Full Reviews”