This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Star Spinner Tarot

All members are welcome to post their original full reviews of any deck.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Nemia
Sage

The Star Spinner Tarot

Post by Nemia »

I had my beady eye on Trungles' deck for quite some time now. I have always loved the Uranus card from the Cosmos Tarot and Oracle deck, one of my most coveted and most beloved decks ever, and after I knew that its creator, Trung Le Nguyen, painted a whole deck, it was firmly on my wishlist.

01 box.jpg

In my tarot work, I do less and less traditional readings, and more and more other kinds of important work - I keep a tarot calendar to rotate my deck collection and connect to the rhythm of the universe - I do shadow work to drag my ugly old self out from the shadows and try to like her somehow (difficult) - and I do inner child work, coaxing my inner child from beneath the old shadows to make her play and trust herself again. For all these kinds of work, tarot is ideal. And that's why I like non-threatening decks.

02 box.jpg

The Star Spinner Tarot is without a doubt one of these decks that look so lovely they invite you to play, like a star spinner that you rotate in your hand, just happy to see it spin. And the stars spin their travels, and so do we on our lovely Earth, the Universe is spinning its endless, complicated yarn.

03 box inside.jpg

The box is beautiful from the inside, too.

04 box with cards and booklet.jpg

The beautiful decorated circles on the Uranus card are also found on the Star Spinner Tarot, Trungles seems to love this motif, it's lovely to see the stars spin around like wheels in the background. It's probably his trademark and if I was courageous enough to get a tattoo, I'd love to have a similar motif. So perfect, so open to interpretation, so inviting. Spinning wheels, just beautiful.

00 ss uranus.jpg

Each card also has four ornamental corners. There are five-pointed white stars in the corners, and circle segments made of either two or three white lines. With the simply white border, that looks as though the cards had lace corners, it makes them look light and nearly fragile.

Once we put the cards next to each others, these ornamental corners connect the cards with intricate patterns. They seem to spin around, too.

There are two completely white circle segments on top and on the bottom of the card. That's where the number and name of the majors, and the Latin number and suit name of the minors have their place. The font is all lowercase, a thin, slightly elongated and very elegant letter that adds to the overall featherlight feeling.

05 box with cardbacks.jpg

The cardbacks are beautiful. There is satiny feeling to them - the lavender-silvery shimmer of the central motif looks magical. There are spinning stars, too, and the cards are reversable (I never understood what difference that made anyway, I can draw very well from non-reversable decks, too, so what if I see it's a reversed card before I turn it around?).

06 cardbacks.jpg

The art is digital (I guess) but feels like colored pen and ink drawings. The ink-like contours vary in colour for perfect colour harmony and expression. The lines are drawn with a secure and light hand, the colours are sometimes bold, sometimes gentle, always inviting the eye to travel. There are no two cards that resemble. Each has a strong atmosphere.

07 four majors.jpg

There's a lot going on in each card but they don't feel crowded. There's a coloured background, sometimes patterned (chevron Harlequin patterns for the Fool), there are attributes and symbols (roses and chains for the Devil), for the minors, the suit symbols, there is the above-mentioned circle of stars, and the main figure/figures. Add to this the intercutting circle segments and circular lines, and you really have your eyes spinning. But the artist keeps all this together through exquisite composition and colour.

08 four majors detail.jpg

Most cards have a harmonious basic chord of colour, mostly based on suit. The Wands tend to be from the yellow-orange palette, the Chalices pink and blue, the Swords dark blue with yellow accents, and the Coins are mostly green.

For the Majors, the artist used a colourful palette with a strong accent on purple, the sublime and spirtual colour.

09 majors fanned.jpg
Nemia
Sage

Re: The Star Spinner Tarot

Post by Nemia »

Part II of the review - colour schemes of the suits

11 suit of swords.jpg

The suit of Wands: yellow.

14 chalices fanned.jpg

Suit of Chalices: blues and pinks.

21 swords fanned.jpg

Suit of Swords: strong nearly-complementary contrast between blue and yellow.

25 coins fanned.jpg

Suit of Coins: nuances of green.

His colour schemes are clear, often pastel, well-balanced, and simply beautiful.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Part III of the review

The Wands suit is mostly light-hearted, filled with fairies and little folk.

12 Five of Swords.jpg

Five of Wands - reminds me of Tinkerbell.

13 Swords court cards.jpg

The Wands court cards.

There is a similarity in spirit to the Inner Child cards (one of my first five decks).

35 wands comparison.jpg
39 wands comparison.jpg

There is an atmosphere of adventure and enthusiasm, but also vulnerability.

38 peter pan.jpg

Peter Pan in the Star Spinner Tarot and the Inner Child Cards.

37 tower wands.jpg

Interestingly, the Tower in the Six of Wands resembles the Tower trump. That's a connection between two cards I don't think I've ever seen before.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Part IV of the review - sorry but I'm getting mixed up hopelessly with all my pictures!!!

The suit of Swords follows the RWS pattern most closely, it's more "adult" than the other suits and a bit sombre.
22 ten of swords phoenix.jpg

The choice of a Phoenix for the Ten of Swords is comforting and a good example for the spirit of this deck. I wish I had the time to write something about the appearance of this beautiful bird in the tarot! Shadowscapes - Epic - oh I'm sure I could think of more Phoenices (or whatever their plural form is) if I put my mind to it!

23 swords court cards.jpg

These are the Swords court cards - the lovely swan maiden or valkyrie stands out, as Knight of Swords.

24 knight of swords.jpg

It's the court card I usually can't get warm with but here she's beautiful and I can understand her.

The other suits are more playful and are inspired by fairytale figures and motifs - the Little Mermaid can be found in the Chalices, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell in the Wands (as seen above), and forest creatures (rabbits) in the Coins.

16 little mermaid.jpg
16a little mermaid copenhagen.jpeg

I remember that I was disappointed when I saw the famous statue for the first time - it's in the middle of the busy Copenhagen port, but it's still beautiful and sad. She's a princess of the sea but dreaming of the solid earth.

17 little mermaid with without fishtail.jpg

She lost her fishtail - but also her crown. Now she's a poor girl and must find her place.

18 mermaid dancing.jpg

What a beautiful card! We know that the Little Mermaid danced gracefully but the pain cut like knives into her feet. The blood red dancing shoes remind me of course of the glorious Moira Shearer in the movie The Red Shoes.

18a moira shearer.jpg
18a moira shearer.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

There she is, Moira Shearer and the red shoes, the ecstatic, passionate and painful love for the dance.

19 end of mermaid.jpg

But our mermaid won't get the prince, there is no happy end for her, she will become a spirit of the air and one day get a human soul. Andersen tells us that Christian love (agape) is more important than human love (eros).

Trungles doesn't give us the Christian angle but the tragedy of a love that gave up everything - and gets nothing in return.

I love it that it's Andersen's melancholic Little Mermaid, not the happy-ever-after Disney mermaid, depicted in this deck. I have always loved Andersen's wistful, nostalgic tales. Trungles tells us part of the story.

20 chalices court cards.jpg

These are the Chalices court cards. Simply lovely. I have no idea how this dragon fits into the courtly family but somehow he does. I'm sure I'm missing something here!

34 five of chalices.jpg

And here you can see why I think there is a similarity in spirit with the Silhouettes. It's so easy to "enter" these images....
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Review part V

Some Coins cards remind me of stories I read and loved as a child - the Six Swans in the Seven of Coins,

29 seven swans.jpg

and here is the illustration by Paul Hey that I loved as a child. (Also known as the Wild Swans - I remembered Seven Swans but was wrong!) Trungles even adds the nettles that she has to use to weave and sew skirts for her brothers to turn them into humans again. Oh what an amazing fairy tale. There are quite a few fairy tales about sibling love, not romantic love.

29a paul hey sieben schwaene.jpg

There are other stories I recognize.

28 aladdin.jpg

Aladdin and the Lamp on the Three of Coins,

27 rapunzel.jpg

Rapunzel on the Four of Coins,

26 ice queen.jpg

Andersen's Ice Queen on th Five of Coins... and I'm sure there are more. Actually, the Ace of Coins invites us into a magical garden.

And here are the four court cards:

30 coins court cards.jpg
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Part VI of the review - the finale!

One of the great things about this deck is its inclusiveness.

31 empress tm ss.jpg

There are people of different body shapes (though not enough sturdy types - but probably fairies can't be sturdy?), different skin colours and ethnic characteristics. Like in the Tabula Mundi, a non-white Empress works beautifully. The Empress is dark skinned and surrounded by symbols of abundance. I love the artist for this diversity. (After all, our ancestral mother came probably from Africa, didn't she?)

32 world comparison.jpg

Like in the World Spirit and the Trionfi della Luna, the World is a slightly fuller-bodied woman. Mature, maternal, but more youthful and more introvert than in the two other decks. And not blue, of course :-)

10 four lovers.jpg

There are no less than four Lovers cards in this deck, each one more beautiful and lovely than the other. There is a male-male, female-female, female-male and one polyamory (or non-binary) couple. These four cards are most often depicted in reviews because really nearly everybody can find a depiction for this card that doesn't clash with their own identity. Love has many faces, and this deck acknowledges it loudly.

I'd have liked more motifs from Asian myths, not only the Western ones I know. Maybe they are hidden in there, but ignorant Westerners don't recognize them? [ETA: I found some hints in this review!] Unfortunately, the booklet doesn't give much information about the card depictions, only divinatory meanings for the cards. Trungles is a Vietnamese American born in the Philippines, isn't that intriguing?

I find that I'm drawn very much to Asian artists giving their angle to the tarot. Oh, and Asia is soo large, I can't throw them all into one bucket and mix them together!

The Star Spinner reminds me in a way of the Silhouettes Tarot, there is a certain whimsical vibe - but beneath it, one can feel the deep roots. I had some of my best readings with the Silhouettes. I'm looking forward very much to my first reading with the Star Spinner.

33 emperor.jpg

The Emperor in both decks - there may be something in common, don't you think so?

One of the most stirring images is Death. It's comforting, which is why I compared it to the Inner Child Death - but it's so much more sophisticated, and so much more esthetically pleasing.

36 death comparison.jpg

The booklet itself is beautiful like the whole deck. The box is sturdy, has a magnetic flap and looks perfect as it is. I like making my own bags for decks and that's why I'm secretly glad when I see flimsy tuck boxes - work for me! :-) Too elaborate, fancy, huge boxes make me suspect that more attention was given to them than to the deck (especially if the deck is more expensive than expected). The Star Spinner box is exactly in the happy middle: not too big, not too small, not too heavy, not too fancy. It's practical and beautiful.

Pictures of the box are in the first part of my review.

What about the cardstock, you ask? This all-important question ;-) I'm not picky about cardstock but even if I was, I guess I'd be satisfied. The cards are laminated smoothly and don't feel papery. There is no structure to the cards, they feel completely smooth and neither too thin nor thick. They're on the flexible side, they don't have a glossy finish, they don't stick to each other and shuffle extremely well. There is no gilding or other treatment to the deck, the borders are white and as I said above, the corner patterns and white borders make it easy to combine a whole layout of cards to a lovely colourful unfied composition. Edge treatments would only interfere with this beautiful effect.

I'm completely happy with this purchase.
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

Beautiful deck! Now on my wishlist...
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Oh those wishlists! Mine expands faster than the Universe.... (which expands slowly anyway, doesn´t it????)

I want to add more reviews for people hungry for more.

NorthernLightWitch, An Interview with Trungles

Women Write About Comics

Asalia Earthwork

And some videos, unboxing and walkthroughs:

Katey Flowers (I love her!)

=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnaXNBUheK4Fables Den

Sparkle Divine (didn't know her channel before - subscribed!)

Return to “Full Reviews”