This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

REVIEW: SEAMS Tarot

All members are welcome to post their original full reviews of any deck.
Forum rules
Any member is welcome to leave a review here of any deck.

A review requires some going through the deck in detail. How you choose to do this is up to you, but remember there is a difference between a "Review" and just giving a short opinion.

A Full Review should include a description of the deck and your impressions of it including how it reads for you and examples. There should also be some context of the themes or genre or style. The idea is to give a full account of your experience of the deck and give the reader a good feeling for the deck's aesthetic and place in the Tarot (or other) pantheon of decks. Also, it is important to include images, examples of what you are describing.

If you want to give just a brief account of a deck, with maybe a few pics, that is certainly most welcome and should be posted in the section called Quick Takes. These are not as in-depth as reviews, but do include enough information to pique a reader's interest.

Video Reviews are also very welcome and should be posted. These can be your reviews or someone else's that you wish to share. PLEASE don't just post the link and run away. Say something about it. The purpose of any post is to interest the reader so be sure to say something about the deck or the review.
NOTE: Unboxing videos are NOT reviews. The "unboxer" has not ever used the deck, so can't properly review it. Unboxing videos, are also very welcome and should be posted in the YouTube Video section

Thank you for contributing and thank you for helping us keep all our reviews organised.

One last, very important thing, I ask that you always be respectful of the artist and their work.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

REVIEW: SEAMS Tarot

Post by Joan Marie »

Organising a collaborative deck is an act of faith.
You begin with an idea and hope that a bunch of creative strangers actually get what are trying to do, and then actually want to join you in the project.

You spend the next several weeks (or months) working closely with each artist. Ideas are exchanged. The concept grows and becomes more solid, more beautiful. You learn more about each person and what is going on in their lives. And by the end all those strangers you met at the beginning are no longer strangers.

As the group becomes more and more cohesive, so does the project, the deck you are creating together. And really, you’re creating more than a deck of cards. You’re building a whole world filled with people and their ideas, their dreams, and wisdom.

I’ve organised two collaborative decks myself, one Tarot and one Oracle. It always ends up being a LOT more work than originally anticipated. It also ends up being so much more rewarding and the finished product much more amazing than you could have ever possibly imagined at the start.

Once relegated to the “novelty” category of deck creation, collaborative decks have now come into their own. They are appearing more frequently and the appreciation for their unique qualities, aesthetic and as remarkable divination tools, is growing.

Every collaborative deck is centred on 2 main things that give it its character: The theme of the deck and the source of the group.

I was recently gifted an advance copy of the latest collab deck on the scene: The SEAMS Tarot. SEAMS stands for Southeast Asian Myths and Stories and is the work of 43 artists from 11 countries. It’s a first, that’s for sure.

Seams02.jpg

The rich cultural heritage of each artist is poured into every card. And what is most extraordinary is that in addition to the folklore, legends and history behind every image is a very real and intentional connection to the symbolism and traditions of the Tarot.

You’re going to be able to read with this deck.

SEAMS01.jpg

And while you’re at it, you’ll learn about the gods and goddesses and stories from Indonesia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, the Phillipines, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Brunei, and East Timor.

The deck comes with a PDF “booklet” that describes the meaning behind the legends and myths of each card. It then ties those legends to the meaning of the card in the Tarot.

The Fool
The Fool

Just to give one example, the deity depicted on the Fool card goes by many names, depending on the region, yet every region of Southeast Asia recognises the important role she plays as the guardian of rice.

The booklet describes in detail the role of rice in their lives and how the various goddesses manifest in the role of protector. I can’t do it justice here but it is told beautifully. It goes on to describe how as the Fool, she helps define and unite the identities of the countries through rice and how, like the beginning of the journey, Southeast Asians pretty much all start their day with some variation on a breakfast dish featuring grains of rice.

It’s really hard to express here just how rich and magical these stories are, how wonderfully they are depicted on the cards and how gracefully they dovetail into the traditions of tarot meanings and symbols.

Seams03.jpg

Every card will instantly pique your curiosity to know the story behind it.

This gorgeous deck is currently on Kickstarter. You can back it today and help get it to its goal. These mysterious and magical images really deserve to be part of the family of tarot. The artists and organisers behind SEAMS Tarot have created an enchanting world and how lucky are we to be invited to join them there?

The SEAMS Tarot on Kickstarter right now:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/se ... ms-tarot-3

Seams04.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Myperception
Sage

Re: REVIEW: SEAMS Tarot

Post by Myperception »

I did notice this deck in kickstarter, and these really make it very easy to understand (from my background culture) :D
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: REVIEW: SEAMS Tarot

Post by Joan Marie »

I'm happy to report that this deck, the SEAMS Tarot finally succeeded on Kickstarter. It was the 3rd try.

If you've ever done a kickstarter you may have an idea of the kind of determination and will that takes. And it was a nail-biter still on the 3rd try.

There are so many decks out there and so many that just make crazy numbers of sales. I've never cracked the code on wildly successful decks but many many people have. And other, really worthy decks, just never see the light of day, can't get past a smattering of interest.

I was really rooting for this deck. The people who made it are just super sweet, I think the deck is really nice and really interesting. And I have a soft-spot for collaboration decks. They are a tough sell but I think people are starting to appreciate the specialness of a deck created by a group of people.

Anyway, congratulations to Rowen Ong, Lynyrd Jym Narciso (Paralumen Studio) and all the artists who contributed to this deck. Good job and way to not give up.

(As if this writing, there are still a few days left on the kickstarter if you're interested. )
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “Full Reviews”