This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 51 Tarot of the Master

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 51 Tarot of the Master

Post by Rachelcat »

Sunday

This is a Lo Scarabeo colorized Vacchetta, which a line art deck first published in 1893. I believe the b&w line art version is freely available around the net. I like this version over the Il Meneghello simply because its regular LS cardstock, not the uncoated, thicker IM style card. And I like the more natural coloring, too. Two drawbacks: There are keywords in white along the left border. If someone described that to me, I would think they would drive me crazy, but I really don’t see them when I’m reading! And the backs are a monochrome version of the Bagat (Magician) card. Non-reversible (not that I use reversals . . .) and distracting and blah.

The suit cards might be a challenge because they’re pips but somewhat illustrated, and the illustrations don’t always line up with conventional, or my, standard suit and number meanings. So we’ll see how that goes!

Comparing
I Naibi di G. Vacchetta 1863-1940 ed. a colori di 78 carte Rist. da “Il Meneghello” Milano 2001, and
Tarot of the Master Giovanni Vacchetta, painter in Turin, made in 1893, colours by Michela Gaudenzi

La Morte.jpg
Fante di Spada.jpg
VICoppe.jpg

Ok, if the keywords start to bug me, I reserve the right to switch decks!

Wash, shuffle, interview!

Sunday.jpg

Most important characteristic: IX Bastoni
Dulce auditum, sweet sound. It’s a pipe organ, complete with bellows and music book. Using 9 as personal and bastoni as energy, I’m going to say this is about personal effort, like in learning to play a musical instrument. The deck takes work and practice to get the most out of it, but when you do that you’ll gain a sweet sound of success. 9 Wands is also my “little Strength card,” so that will fit in with the next

Strength: XI La Forza
The deck’s strength is its strength! It’s strong in that it doesn’t really compromise. It shows what it shows, and get used to it! Just like the lady doesn’t compromise with the lion. She’s saying, “I’m the human, you’re the animal, so you do what I say. I won’t mistreat you, but I won’t let you get away with anything either.”

Weakness: I Bagat
Its weakness it that it’s not really an esoteric deck, even if it has a magician in it. With his pseudo scary critters and mystic shapes, he’s really just putting on a show. The deck is beautiful and interesting, but not magical. It also emphasizes the negative of the backs.

What can the deck teach me: II Coppe
Here’s the creator’s “signature,” with name, place, and date. It can teach me that creativity has to be about sharing the feeling and enthusiasm of the creation with others. I might create something for my own enjoyment, but is it really a creation at all if it’s not shared?

How can I learn it? VIII Denari
I wonder if all the coins show real people. I’ll have to research. And they look like they’re surrounded by Christmas lights! I can learn about sharing creations by planning to do it. Making concrete plans, not just thinking, yeah, I’ll do that some day . . .

Outcome of our work together: VI Denari
More deniari, but this time in a defensive setting, rather than a festive one. This crossbowman is depending on the denari shield to protect him. That and his substantial helmet. My work with this deck will continue to focus on the physical aspects, the colors, what’s depicted, the card stock, etc. And that’s good. I don’t know what else for the spread position, but for this card in general, it’s saying having enough money in the bank is a good defense against many evils. Money can’t buy love, but it can buy a good bit of safety.

I'll be back with my new moon reading later today!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Nemia
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 51 Tarot of the Master

Post by Nemia »

I have the Lo Scarabeo version of this deck and simply trimmed the borders off :-) It's not Meneghello but looks much better. I didn't round the corners. It's a lovely deck.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Yes, it is definitely a prime candidate for trimming! Maybe I can get into it when the holidays are over! Do you read with it much?

Monday
New moon Crone Moon

Monday1.jpg

What’s brewing in my life? VI Spade
Recognition for my intellectual endeavors, or great good sense!

What ingredient should I add? X Fortuna
But don’t let it go to my head. Understand that sometimes these things are just the luck of the draw. But I can enjoy it as it comes.

What energy am I using to stir this brew? XIV Temperanza
I know how to blend things to make something better, or at least new.

Counsel from my guides and allies VI Denari
Protect myself by being generous and by being grateful for the abundance I have.

What ingredient should I leave out? III Bastoni
Seafood! I always leave out seafood because I’m vegetarian! But seriously folks . . . While I may receive compliments, I shouldn’t go fishing for compliments! Also I don’t need to show off all my energy. I need to let my results speak for themselves.

What needs to brew longer? IIII Imperatore
I need to think and plan before I talk to the bosses about something.

Wisdom from the crone XVI La Torre
A stronger message of what Fortuna says. Much of what happens is chance. But that doesn’t mean you can’t take advantage of the wheel’s turn, whether it seems positive or negative at first. (I feel really bad for that guy impales on a wall shard! Hopefully the other one that’s falling will fare better, but he’s got a long way to fall yet.)

Solar Eclipse

Monday2.jpg

Earth: Where I am now: III Imperatrice
I am in a place of comfort and abundance.

Moon: The threshold before me: V Bastoni
But at some time there’s going to be conflict. I’m going to have to fight for what I want or what I believe in.

Sun: The path through: Regina di Bastone
I can fight and be strong, but with compassion and fairness. This is like a little Strength card because, while she’s not taming a lion, she IS making sure her sheep don’t run away, but also taking care of them.

A message from the earth: Re di Bastone
I can take charge in a conflict, and also take charge of my own actions.

A message from the cosmos: VIII Coppe
Balance my mind and my emotions. It’s not easy but it can be done, like the cups are precariously but perfectly balanced. For the moment!

Have a happy day! I’ll be back with a shorter reading tomorrow!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
Today’s question is embarrassing, so I’m just posting the cards here, using All-Purpose Spread.

Tuesday.jpg

Me: X Spade
I’m being influenced by society.

Issue: Il Matto
I don’t know what I’m asking. I don’t really want to go down that road. OR if I do, I need to be completely free of preconceptions and expectations. And open to anything. Which I really don’t think I am.

Outcome: Fante di Bastone
ESTP, realist, unconventional and spontaneous.

Advice: VII Bastoni
According to the lwb (a foldout, actually) the words are “da un sol ceppo nati, per diviersi fati,” meaning “born from a single tree but with different destinies.”

Sorry for being so mysterious. I’ve aired a lot of dirty laundry here, but this one I just can’t! Have a very happy Tuesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
First snow here in DC, and beginning of my vacation week.
What do I need to be doing on my vacation week?

Wednesday.jpg

Physically: V Il Ierophante
I should follow the rules or a system. I should do what is conventionally considered the right thing to do. I’m thinking this is proper diet and exercise. Hrumph.

Emotionally: VII Denari
I should enjoy physical comforts and enjoyments, but check to make sure they’re really enjoyable. Not eat a whole pizza and get sick later! That’s the skull in the middle. A memento mori to say that pleasure is fine as long as it’s healthful. The angel with the plaque says this includes pleasure in works of art and other things of beauty.

Intellectually: As di Denari
I should come up with new ideas about health, pleasures, and finances. Bring those subjects to the forefront of my mind. Like I am right now. (I like the reproductions of the tax stamps.)

Energetically: L’Imperatrice
I should act like I have abundance and beauty and enjoyment all around me. Because I do.

Spiritually: X Coppe
I should do my metta meditation, putting spiritual energy into asking for happiness for everyone, including my family. Although sometimes it seems fake, the holiday emphasis on happiness can be real, and if it is, it’s a good thing.

Enjoy your Wednesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
Today All-Purpose Spread

Thursday.jpg

Ok, lots of cups here!

Me: Re di Denari
I’m supposed to be focusing on buying presents today. I have plenty of money. I just need to find the right things to buy. I’m here in my counting house counting out my money. Ready to spend. And I feel like I’m running out of time, as in the coin in the upper left. Time flies when you’re indecisive!

Issue: V Coppe
Ad gloriam dei = To the glory of god. Not sure how that lines up with 5 Cups, but these cups definitely look like worship or altar furnishings. Wine and oil pitchers and oil lamps. And the picture of a torch of wisdom. All very fiery for a cups card . . . I’m all stressed and confused about celebrating the holiday of a religion I don’t even believe in! Ironically, I need to get more into the spirit of winter giving and less in the spirit of everything depends on one day . . .

Outcome: VI Coppe
And all will turn out well. People will know I love them and am doing the best I can even though I can’t see them yet this year. I’ll just be hanging out with my cat. I can cuddle and show my love to her. But hopefully not to a large bird!

Advice: IV Coppe
Here’s little Temperance, always good advice. I need to blend my concern about doing the right thing with a sensible idea of what is possible and doing the best I can with what I’ve got. And I need to concentrate on doing what’s right for me. You can’t make all the people happy all the time!

Happy Thursday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
Cards of the day, 3 cards, no positions

Friday.jpg

Re de Spada, XX Il Giudizio, IIII L’Emperatore
All very strong cards! To remind me that I’m in charge of my own thoughts. And the really transformative realization is I’m in charge of not only my thoughts but my entire reality. I’m rising up to another level by taking responsibility for myself and my reality. I understand it intellectually, but soon I will understand it experientially. And it will make a big difference in my life.

Good to know! I can start working on that right now! Have a very happy Friday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
Last day for Tarot of the Master
What should I be doing with the rest of my life? Four Noble Truths Spread

Saturday1.jpg

What I should be doing? VI Coppe
Whatever brings me happiness and expresses my love and caring for all.

Why am I asking? Fante di Coppa
Because I’m feeling optimistic and able to accomplish important things in my life. Because I’ve never really been in love and wonder if that will ever be part of my life.

How it will all turn out? II Coppe
Yes? Whatever I accomplish will be in partnership with someone. Our creativity and productivity will come through our enjoyment and happiness with each other.

How do I do it? XX Il Giudizio
Wow! Now I don’t feel so confident! In order for all this to happen, I need to completely change my life and step up to a higher level. It’s time for me to rise. And I’m not sure I’m ready.

2 cards for how to put that advice into practice:

Saturday2.jpg

Fante di Bastone, III Denari
Just do it! A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Everything has to start somewhere. To begin, I just have to begin. It’s not like I’m getting any younger, even though I’m getting all these fantes! And 3 Coins says this means doing something in the real world, something that affects physical things, my body or my possessions. Don’t trick myself into thinking reading the right book, or writing the right card reading, will be that first step. Actual stepping (going someplace) or spending or constructing or eating is the first step.

Wow, home truths here! Now if I can only follow them! Have a happy weekend! See you in the Sacred Days of Yule!

Return to “Week 51 - My Deck of the Week”