This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 50 Cary-Yale Visconti Tarocchi Deck

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 50 Cary-Yale Visconti Tarocchi Deck

Post by Rachelcat »

This is the US Games photo repro with replacements for missing cards. First of all, the cards are huge! I’m assuming close to the size of the originals, 7.5 x 4 inches! So this week, I’ll be doing single card readings. They’re photo reproductions, so they show the real gold foil backgrounds, of which some are very tarnished. They also show the little holes at the top, showing that someone at some time pinned the cards to the wall. The backs are a boring plain beige. The LWB by Stuart Kaplan has historic information on the various Visconti decks and on Visconti family emblems that are featured in the deck.

The deck has male and female pages and knights, making 6 court cards for each suit. I have fancifully decided that in feminine suits, cups and coins, female pages and knights and queens are higher than their male counterparts, and vice versa. Since I’m not playing a game with them, I don’t think it matters, but it makes me happy . . .

I’ll be using the replacement minors (there are 8 of them), but not the replacement majors. Because extant majors include Faith, Hope, and Charity, there is no way of knowing what other, probably non-Marseille, majors were included in the original. Strength is there, so probably Justice, Temperance, and Prudence were also in the original. These are the 11 majors we have:
Empress
Emperor
Love/Marriage
Chariot
Strength
Faith
Hope
Charity
Death
Judgment
World

On a personal note, I remember I had just gotten this deck when my father passed, almost 20 years ago now. In my distraction, I dropped some of the cards under a cabinet without noticing, and put the deck away. When I took the deck out again, I was shocked there were missing cards, but there they were, on the floor, waiting patiently for me to find them. This isn’t a sad memory, it’s more good that it reminds me of a time when my dad was with us, and also that I thought I was calm and rational when I was really not in my right mind at all, but at least some of it came back with time.

Moving on to reading, I’m not sure how I’ll shuffle this monster, but I’ll figure something out, and do a short interview:

Sunday.jpg

Deck’s most important characteristic: 5 Swords
It’s confusing. It’s a challenge (5=Mars) to our tarot ideas (swords), both meaning and reading ideas, and the very idea of what a tarot deck is. Also, I originally preferred Visconti decks over Marseille decks because the swords are more recognizable as swords, rather than strange intertwined curved things.

Outcome of our work together: Hope
A while back I had to research the difference between faith and hope. According to Martin Luther, faith is understanding and believing, and hope is doing and will, so basically faith is swords/air, and hope is wands/fire. In this illustration, Hope is trampling down Despair and is tied to the anchor of stability as she makes her way to heaven. The anchor is a traditional symbol of hope, and I’m trying to figure out why. Maybe the whole will and doing thing means staying the course, sticking to your path. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. So, work with this deck will confirm and strengthen my resolve to use historic and pips decks, and decks with non-conventional majors!

Well, that’s it for today. Have a happy week ahead! I’ll be back tomorrow with more Visconti!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 50 Cary-Yale Visconti Tarocchi Deck

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
Card of the day!
BTW, I’m overhand shuffling by the narrower edge and cutting. Probably not that effective as shuffling goes, but for only one card, it should suffice.

Monday.jpg

Female Knight of Wands
Wands in this deck are arrows or, like, harpoons. In the pip cards they have a barbed point like an arrow, but a kind of handle on the other end. That’s where I came up with harpoon. Maybe I should go with arrows . . . It’s hard to see on this card because it’s part of the gold foil, but this one looks like a long handle with a round knob on top.

I like her white horse; she’s riding sidesaddle, and has the Sforza family emblem of fountains on her dress.

As a card of the day, I’ll be busy but up to the challenge, and will be able to accomplish what I need to with grace, like making riding sidesaddle look easy!

Have a happy Monday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday

Tuesday.jpg

10 Arrows. Well, that’s appropriate. All the things I have to do today were swirling around in my head when I was shuffling. I hope I get 10 things done!

This is one of the more banged-up cards. The corner is gone, and the gold is very tarnished, but you can still see the pretty flowers. And the arrows have not only gold handles but also gold rings near the points. And gold somethings marking where they cross. This one definitely gives the idea of something old but sumptuous.

Have a happy Tuesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday card of the day

Wednesday.jpg

Queen of Swords
This is a pretty, well preserved card. According to Kaplan, the word on the servant’s cloak is “li almente,” which means “nourish them.” And the queen has pomegranates on her dress. So although she’s a queen of swords, she takes the feminine role of nourishing seriously. She nourishes people with fruitful and wholesome ideas, like the best teachers do. I’ll either be teaching or learning today. Just the way I like it!

Have a good day today!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday card of the day

Thursday.jpg

Hope and Male Page of Swords.
I drew Hope again, but since we had that already, I went on to the next card. Swords is really a theme here this week, huh? And Hope, too, I guess! This page is one of the replacement cards. You can tell, but it seems well done, using a copy of an authentic background.

I had a conversation with my son last evening about how we’re still dealing with a still difficult dad. Even though dad has moved away years ago and is really trying to be right and do right, it’s just not easy to move on. His (mostly past) crazy is still a big part of our lives and what we are now. (And he has to deal with responsibility and guilt, too, of course.) So I think this combination is saying we have successfully trampled down despair and are anchored in living a new, better life, but we’re still just beginners in learning how to think about and express ourselves about the past. It’s just not something that years or distance alone will allow us to outgrow.

But life is good, we’re happy, and we have a wedding to look forward to! We’ll just have to keep working away at dealing with the past.

I hope everyone has a happy, healthy Thursday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday card of the day

Friday.jpg

8 Swords
I know I’ve said it a thousand times before, but I really like the Viscontis because the swords look like swords. Ok, the do intertwine in a not really realistic way, and the hand guards also link together oddly, but they’re still more realistic than Marseille swords, that often look the same on both ends . . . And these are very elegant, with golden pommels and surrounded by golden flowers.

Today I will have a tendency to overthink everything. Business as usual then! I just need to beware of believing everything that hatches in my head over what my eyes actually see. Always good advice!

TGIF! Enjoy!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday, last day for Cary-Yale Visconti

Saturday.jpg

8 Coins
Very appropriate! Today will be a day of planning for practical things. I will be buying Christmas presents and organizing the shipment of some of them. I’m figuring out a schedule of all holiday things I have to do. And, of course, I should be working on what exactly I’m going to be doing on the holiday itself. I don’t think quarantine rules are going to get any more lenient than they are now, so I should just go with that . . . And so the 8 of Coins goes!

I really enjoyed getting to know this deck better. I hope you did too. I’ll be back tomorrow with my last DoW for the year. (The dailies for the rest of the year after that will be Sacred Days of Yule.) Have a good weekend! See you then!

Return to “Week 50 - My Deck of the Week”