This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s Sacred Days of Yule with the Budapest Tarot

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s Sacred Days of Yule with the Budapest Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

1. Mother Night of Dreams: - Dec 20th
This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

Dec 20.jpg

King of Swords
Any dream that I remember will be truly visionary and help me understand and organize my thinking so I can take better charge of it. I’ve been remembering my dreams more lately because I’ve been getting plenty of sleep and am able to stay asleep longer. Maybe the king is saying I should try to use a deliberate method to remember and record my dreams! Seems like a King of Swords thing to do . . . Looks like he’s seriously considering something. The crossed legs makes me think of meditation. Meditation before sleep it is!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s Sacred Days of Yule with the Budapest Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st
This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

Dec 21.jpg

VIIII La fortezza
I can connect with the light by taking it! I should make a conscious decision and then grab the lion by the mouth! Light happens, but connecting to it sometimes doesn’t. It takes action on my part to make that happen. Don’t be afraid to take what is freely given to all. What is the light in this case? I think a positive attitude, and maybe recognition for a job well done. And of course all the blessings and good things I have. Acceptance and gratitude open the way for enjoying it all and getting more!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd
This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

Dec 22.jpg

10 Coins
I don’t realize I have everything I need to do what I want, like travel and study, and enough to share, too. Of course, I won’t be traveling anytime soon, but it is a dream that I don’t want to slip by without following because I think I don’t have enough money or time to do it. And this might sound too materialistic, but I do dream of having a comfortable home. I’ve made progress on that front, but I’m afraid of getting into any serious structural improvements because the whole idea is just overwhelming! Interesting card. I’ll continue to think about this today!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

4. Hopi Time of Renewal - Dec 23rd
This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

Dec 23.jpg

4 Wands
Querro? A good way for me to clean out and make a fresh start is to carefully control where I direct my energy, important this time of year. I find myself caring about and working for things that I really don’t care about. Society’s concerns bleeding over into mine. On a more positive note, this is also a card of ceremonies and performing arts. So a way I can connect with my own goals and with others is through music and play. Singing always makes me feel free and happy inside. Including the learning and practicing parts. I’m not expressing it very well, but it’s an opening experience for me. It’s also a fun and easy way to learn about other cultures, and find out that we’re all similar and connected. Thanks to the 4 of Wands for the reminder!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: - Dec 24th
This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

Dec 24.jpg

Queen of Wands
Appropriate for connecting with mothers and thinking about motherhood.

This might be banal, but this card makes me think of all the women and mothers throughout history that GOT THINGS DONE! Through much of history, women had limited opportunity and limited power, but they still did what needed to be done, often the work that no one else wanted to do, including the daily, unceasing work of child care and home care. A man may work from sun to sun, but a woman’s work is never done.

These days we celebrate women who broke out of the restrictions and went on to do great things outside their traditional role, but I think it’s also very important to celebrate those often anonymous women, or at least anonymous to anyone outside their families, that kept the wheels of the world turning, taking care of everything from food and clothing to life and death, often to allow husbands and children to go on to do some of those great things. Behind every great man is a great woman.

I think of my father’s mother, who had ten children, TEN! That thankfully all survived childhood. She kept the home part of a family farm running through the Depression, during a war, and years beyond that. I don’t think I would have that kind of strength, but then again, you do what you have do.

I’m encouraged just thinking about the strength of all those women throughout history! And this will probably inform my meanings for the Queen of Wands from now on!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th
This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.

Dec 25.jpg

3 Coins
Wow, interesting card for this topic. How do I connect directly with Spirit? Physically! With my body and my possessions. So yoga and meditation, exercise and healthful eating are all ways to spirit for me. And continue my charitable giving. And maybe some clearing out and arranging of possessions, too. I’ll be remembering this card long after today because of its unexpectedness but appropriateness.

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: - Dec 26th
This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.

Dec 26.jpg

6 Coins
Lots of coins this year! Once again, I should nurture physically! But I’m also seeing it as nurturing by making sure that my family and friends see that we have enough. We are really lucky to have what we have, which is plenty! And we probably have enough to share. A feeling of gratitude and abundance is a great blessing that can make our lives much happier. We don’t always have to want more, more, more, not matter what the advertisements say. There is such peace in knowing I have enough. No reason not to try to pass that on to others!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th
This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

Dec 27.jpg

Page of Cups
My favorite card in this deck, the master of multitasking: Marching, playing the bagpipes, and drinking all at the same time! Multitasking is an ability most women need. Music and culinary delights are usually considered feminine pleasures, but men definitely enjoy them and produce them, too. And the Page of Cups, as earth of water, is a feminine card altogether. So what does this all say to me? Artistic expression and physical enjoyment will be available in the coming year. I just need to welcome them and/or create them. And be willing to multitask to fit them into my life!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

9. Feast of Alcyone: - Dec 28th
This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.

Dec 28.jpg

Cuique Wands
I’m putting myself out here; you can laugh if you want. The first thing that came to my mind was “you’ve got to fight for your right to party!” Since this is about an inner message, I’m going to acknowledge this first thought. But more seriously, the message is life is a struggle, and it involves many different kinds of struggles. But that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Struggle is how you learn strength and endurance. I hate “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” (and Nietzsche). Plenty of people have been broken, not strengthened, by their challenges. But it’s true that challenges CAN make you stronger, and help you realize the strength you already have. And make you remember and maybe try to help those who have been hurt, not strengthened, by the struggle that is life.

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

10. Day of Nymphs - Dec 29th
This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.

Dec 29.jpg

XVII La luna
I definitely have a playful, childlike side. I’m willing to join in any innocent games or fun going. I can’t really understand my friends when they’re worried about appearing silly or standing out. There’s nothing wrong with it, and if you do it right, it’s fun for everyone! The moon says childlike play and fun can be a door to deeper understandings and maybe memories that need to come forward. And it’s not real, it’s play. That’s the purpose of play in children and young animals. It’s low risk practice for real life activities, as well as an outlet for energies that might otherwise turn to mischief.

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

11. Day of Rest: - Dec 30th
This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.

Dec 30.jpg

Duodus Wands
My keyword for this card is “action and reaction.” The way I should be relaxed, confident, and detached is by taking action. Basically, take control, don’t just let things happen to me. Choosing not to act is taking action, as are appropriate reactions. The important thing is to be active, don’t let myself become, or feel like, a victim of circumstance.

This ties in with what I was thinking about as I fell asleep last night. I’m reading a time travel story collection, and I was thinking what I would do if I could go back and redo my own life. Deciding what I would do and not do then is actually very helpful in realizing what I think is important now. I was definitely not proactive in my own growing up, which is the most important thing I would change!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st
This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.

Dec 31.jpg

VIII L’amore
I can let out the old and let in the new with love! I just read an email from a meditation group I don’t attend anymore offering a metta meditation practice for six weeks. And then this card turns up! If that’s not a sign, I don’t know what is! Although the illustration here definitely refers to romantic love, the blind archer can also mean that I can aim my love to anybody and everybody.

I like how the woman is holding the arrow. Did she grab it out of midflight like a superhero? Was the arrow aimed and her or him? She looks like she’s about to accept the man’s offers of love. I hadn’t noticed that she has put out her hand to take his.

Anyway, the meaning is clear. 2021 is meant to be a year of charitas for me, and what better way to start than with metta mediation?

I have truly enjoyed this series, and got a lot of things to think about and work on for the year ahead. Thanks to Nemia for organizing us, and happy new year to all!

dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

[quote=Rachelcat post_id=22674 time=1609421957 user_id=92]

Thanks for the readings. I realise I need to get a copy of the Budapest Tarot. It doesn't conform to the usual Marseilles pattern and numbering so I have steered away from it in the past, but the images are so much fun. Ideal for a fresh approach for the New Year.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Glad you enjoyed the deck. I saw it years ago when Robert Place did a limited edition repro one. I lusted but decided I really couldn't spend $300 for a "nontraditional" deck. So when the Tarot Sheet Revival edition came out, I jumped on it, and I've never looked back. And I've made it my go-to deck for "real, serious" readings.

Return to “12-day Cosmic Signpost Reading: Hosted by Nemia”