This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

JM's DoW: RWS

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

JM's DoW: RWS

Post by Joan Marie »

I recently was gifted the entire neo-Rider Tarot Collection. It's 4 decks, all of them printed in different ways. Some using a foil type of cardstock. I think I will try cards from each of the 4 this week.

It's been a long time since I've used the RWS. Let's see if I warm up to it again.

Today I am starting with one that is printed in a monochrome on a sepia colored cardstock with a velvety texture. The cards in this deck were kind of sticky at first but a bit of shuffling seems to have loosened them up.

Today I got:
7 of Cups
7 of Cups

Good card for a Monday as I sit here trying to plan my week.

I have so many ideas. I forget more ideas than I act on. Ideas tumble over themselves at me and sometimes it is overwhelming. Every monday I sit and try to write down all the thingsI'd like to accomplish for the week, but the trick is to not write more than I can possibly do. When I do that my list becomes self-defeating as opposed to a helper. I really hate when I have carry-over from the week before. Last week I put the 2 most difficult things off and now they have carried over to this week.

This card really reminds me of myself, trying to prioritise what are essentially many equal but different things. I'm hoping these chalices represent some spirits that will come to my aid this week and help see me through. The goal is to have no carry-over.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: JM's DoW: RWS

Post by Joan Marie »

Tuesday, october 13:
rws tuesday.jpg

This card is from a deck printed on foil card stock.
It looks really cool. But the cards are slippery as hell. Even just to cut them is tricky. I'd need a lot more practice with these before I would want to ever use them in front of people because I look drunk when I shuffle these.

But they are really pretty.

So what does this King of Cups say to me today?

I always did like this image from RWS, the King on his throne floating on rolling waves. Solid and yet not solid. In control, but subject to the whims of nature. Control is an illusion. You think you're fine in your fancy chair with sceptor and golden goblet but at any minute you could be swimming with that little fish in the back, and suddenly be the one at a disadvantage.

The tables can turn quick. A good thing to keep in mind.

I just noticed another thing about these cards. They are heavier than cards printed on normal paper cardstock. And that extra weight combined with the slippery surface makes them really tricky to work with, however, the same quality that makes them difficult for the inexperienced user could possibly make them great for doing shuffling tricks with some practice.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Today i am using the rose-colored foil deck.

It's hard to tell from my photos how actually pretty these cards are, if you like this kind of aesthetic.

I think I am getting used to shuffling these heavy metal cards.
Another thing about them, I don't know exactly what they are made of but they seem pretty indestructible. They really can't be torn or bent.

So for today:
2 of wands
2 of wands

I do have a lot on my mind. I've got commitments that I must keep, will keep, but in all honesty, am not sure how i will do it. This is troubling me and maybe even preventing me from moving forward. It's really a time to take action and stop thinking about taking action.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

This is from the 4th of the series of "Neo Rider Tarot" collection.

This one is more standard, although the colours are different. The cardstock is regular heavy paper, nice quality, matte finish.
The backs are black with gold foil decoration. Very pretty.
thumbnail_20201015_111807.jpg

This card always makes me think of inertia. Lots to do, just not the true force of will to move the needle.

This is my challenge today. To break the force of inertia and get things flowing.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I think I like this the best of the 3 decks. I guess I'm not such a great fan of the kind of "alternate" cardstocks.
I just think that cards should feel and act like cards. The foil ones are fun and pretty for sure. But at the end of the day, I guess I'm kind of old-school in this respect. At least old-school-ish.

So today I drew:
thumbnail_20201016_123520.jpg

Another Knight. Something is trying to tell me something.

Yesterday's Knight was a bit sedentary, in a more thoughtful posture. Today's wants me to get moving. At least start prepping.

Return to “Week 42 - My Deck of the Week”