This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 42 Celtic Tarot (Courtney Davis)

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 42 Celtic Tarot (Courtney Davis)

Post by Rachelcat »

This is an oldie but goodie, according to the intertubes, first published in 1990, and reissued in many editions. There’s a signature and date on each card, 1988. I remember I got it when I first started collecting, gave it away because I wasn’t dealing well with pips decks, got it later because it’s beautiful, and now am ready to use it here in the midst of my pips phase!

You will see the beauty of it yourself: amazing artwork akin to the Book of Kells illustrations, with lots of knot work and interesting designs. And the minors may be pips, but they’re not boring, especially the wands. I actually thought of this deck because I was cursorily looking at another forum and saw that many had chosen it as one of their top 10 decks of all time. Which definitely made it a candidate for a closer look.

Let’s start with an interview.

Sunday.jpg

Most important characteristic: Knight of Coins
A pensive knight rides though a flowery land beneath a dark sky. His round shield is his coin.
The most important thing about this deck is its art, it’s a physical specimen, a beautiful one. But it’s not static beauty. You can take action with it.

Strength: Ace of Cups
Working with this deck is an emotional experience. And it expresses emotion well. You either love it or hate it. Which tracks with my history with it. I often keep decks in my collection that are just cute or nice. They do what they do, and I don’t expect too much from them. But if they seem special but I can’t connect with them, then they go. I feel like they don’t fulfill their potential. But in this case, I just wasn’t ready to let the deck fulfill its potential yet.

Weakness: 8 Coins
Just what I’ve been talking about. One can only connect with the deck as a reading deck if you put in the intellectual work (8) as well as appreciating the beauty (Coins).

What can the deck teach me? Page of Coins
Here is the page as a student. It can teach me some practical things about tarot reading.

How can I learn it? 6 Cups
This matches up well with the Ace. I can learn from the deck by connecting with it emotionally and joyfully. If I love it, it will teach me.

Outcome of our work together: 8 Swords
And this contrasts with the cups cards! In the end, I’ll be concentrating too much on the intellectual and not enough on the emotional. I’ll miss out or disregard the visceral and visual aspects.

Two coins courts and no majors or wands. After I called out the wands. Hey, I said I wanted to read pips!

We’ll see how far we get this week. Have a happy Sunday, and I’ll see you tomorrow!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 42 Celtic Tarot (Courtney Davis)

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
Why the Who is in the What

If the majors don’t come to me, I make them!

Monday1.jpg

In the action realm, I’m the knight of coins again, deliberately moving forward, contemplating my own personal nest of beauty and prosperity. I would like to share my comforts with others, but I guess that’s not happening much now.

This is a lovely Lovers, but I’m worried about the tree. Is it the tree of the knowledge of good and evil? Are our lovers about to take a fall? Is Cupid the devil in disguise? No matter how you slice it, the Lovers IS all about choices, isn’t it?

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
I’m feeling very scattered. Again. As always. What do I need to know about that?
Four Noble Truths Spread

Tuesday1.jpg

Issue: The Moon
I love this Moon card! It shows both sides: It’s a spirit that controls and works with the changes and cycles of time, and it’s a dark night of confusion when your candles go out and you can’t see anything clearly. And that’s my issue: Is what I’m feeling an opening to creativity and flow or uncontrolled fear and confusion? I have a feeling it can be an opening to either, depending on what I make it.

Cause: The High Priestess
And the Priestess as the cause of the Moon makes almost too much sense! This in between time for me is being caused by my changing understanding of spirituality and my connection with it. Again, nothing to be afraid of or worried about, unless I let the opportunity to deal with it get away from me.

Outcome: 4 Swords
Mental calmness and peace of mind is possible for me.

Advice: 3 Swords
The best way to deal with this is take it as a learning challenge. Research, read, write, make tables, do all those things I do when I really get grabbed by a new subject. I can get a grip on spirituality just as I do with other subjects.

Path cards: The Fool, 3 Coins, Queen of Coins
All these cards make too much sense! This may feel like I’m going off the deep end by trying to study something that can’t be learned from books! But the 3 Coins confirms the message of the 3 Swords: Produce some material. But it doesn’t have to be an article or table. Maybe it can be an artwork or song, or something . . . If I really go for this, I can be the Queen of Coins, as I’m meant to be: Someone who knows how to engage emotionally with physical surroundings and real life.

This turned out to be an easy but very strong reading. For myself! I’ll need to come back to it I know for it to sink in.

I hope you enjoy the lovely cards! See you tomorrow!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
All-Purpose Spread for Today

Wednesday1.jpg

Me: The Tower
That’s funny. I don’t feel like the Tower! Maybe I’ll get discouraged, feel like I’m not doing anything important, and quit what I’m doing and give up trying. I’ve felt that before, but hopefully not today!

Issue: Page of Wands
Interesting, two pages. And Page of Coins again. The issue is what am I doing, what am I acting on, what am I learning.

Outcome: Page of Coins
And the outcome is again learning with a tangible work product. Well, I am going to the store to get some index cards so I can test-read my keywords!

Advice: 6 Wands
Assume success! And define my own success. I say what is successful for me. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. My energy will mean something, like a spark leads to rising flames! Instead of being the one falling from the tower, I’m the flames rising above it!

So there! Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
How will my Halloween quiz go?
All-Purpose Spread

Thursday1.jpg

All these swords are appropriate for a quiz!

Me: 7 Swords
I enjoy stumping people! Even though I think it might be a bit too difficult.

Issue: 2 Swords
The quiz is difficult, but people will be able to figure it out by process of elimination.

Outcome: 3 Wands
The quiz will do what it’s supposed to do, get people talking and having fun, giving people an outlet to express their happy hour energies.

Advice: King of Swords
I should keep control of the quiz. I created it, and I should stay in charge of it. Of course, and good leader takes input from others on a project!

I'll let you know how the quiz goes! Have a great day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
New moon in Libra, Harvest Moon, Super Moon

Friday.jpg

Harvest: Page of Cups
My harvest is an innocent enjoyment of the autumn season.

What did I sow? 8 Wands
I put my energy into planning and devising. I’m an idea woman!

What did I reap? 7 Wands
The energy of enjoyment and enjoyment of energy, which is my harvest, so seems correct.

What did I learn? Knight of Coins
I went from a Page of Cups to a Knight of Coins. I went from a romantic dreamer to a determined worker. I learned I can think and plan all I want, but I really want to make something real.

What should I plan to do next? 10 Wands
I should put some of all that energy of planning and enjoyment into working with others. Sometime I’ll make my ideas known to others so we can work on them together.

Have a happy weekend!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
Last day for Celtic Tarot
Wild Card Elemental Star

Saturday.jpg

My wild self: Justice
I’m not playing anymore. People should get what they deserve, not what’s necessarily kind or polite. The sword is cutting the bs, and the scales are weighing their words for truth or lies.

Message from physical realm: Strength
Don’t give up on my health goals. I’ve come too far to quit now. My hands are still in the lion’s mouth.

Message from emotional realm: Star
I need to combine all my disparate elements into one beautiful pentagram, or one whole, healed body.

Message from intellectual realm: Page of Coins
The student again, appropriate for intellectual realm, even if coins. Be a student, but a student of real things. Don’t get caught up in things that have no relation to reality.

Message from energetic realm: 8 Coins
Love of money is the root of all evil. I should put my energy into people, not money.

Message from spirit realm: Knight of Coins
Keep working at understanding spiritual things. One day I’ll look up and see the beautiful world with new eyes.

I tried to accept the messages as they came, so they may seem a bit harsh, but that’s how they came to me!

Have a great day! See you tomorrow with a new deck.

Return to “Week 42 - My Deck of the Week”