This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

VIDEO: Quoting Large Blocks of Text

Support links and helpful advice for using the forum to its fullest.
For Members and Guests
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

VIDEO: Quoting Large Blocks of Text

Post by Joan Marie »

Quoting text from a previous post is a great way to keep a clear conversation going, especially in a long thread with many posts.

But please remember: When you are commenting on a post directly above, it's usually not necessary to quote the text as your comment follows it directly, i.e. the conversation is flowing. However, if you are commenting on a specific sentence or part of that post, you can quote just that part. (see the following post for instructions on how to do that)

There is almost never a need to quote an entire post, especially not a long one and doing so tends to clutter up the thread and creates more pages to a thread and forces lots of tedious scrolling, especially for people using phones. By quoting just the necessary part, your comment will make more sense to the people reading it later.

Keeping to this guideline will improve the overall flow of the threads and of the forum itself.

I don't want to discourage anyone from using quotes how they want to, it's just something to keep in mind.

Thank you!

(and please don't be mad at me please if I occasionally pare down some of your long quoted text blocks :peace: )
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: VIDEO: Quoting Large Blocks of Text

Post by Joan Marie »

Just a little housekeeping reminder about quoting text.

It's rarely necessary to quote an entire post, especially not a long one. Doing so makes threads harder to scroll through (especially on phones) and creates extra pages which also makes it harder to get to the most recent posts.

Please have a look at the original post above and at the little video I created.

Using the quote text feature to it's best advantage helps keep the whole forum neater and easier to use.

Thanks everyone!

For instructions on how to break up a quote so you can comment on different section, see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1980
HOLMES
Sybil

Post by HOLMES »

that is great for the efficiency of the forum. !

I remember when I started quoting on atf,, I would quote only the thing I wanted to speak to..
the author of the quote pm me at the time to ask me not to do that.. I asked why not,,
and it was because they felt I had taken the quote out of context,.
that blew my mind.. perhaps it was something I been doing and not aware of it.
so I am not sure how to avoid that.. if that is even an issue. ?
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

[/i]
HOLMES wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 06:00
I remember when I started quoting on atf,, I would quote only the thing I wanted to speak to..
the author of the quote pm me at the time to ask me not to do that.. I asked why not,,
Holmes, I'm not very active on this forum at the moment as I'm busy writing a book on the TdM and need to focus on that. But a post from Holmes is like a magnet to me... there's no way I can not stop and make a happy sound to see to your name and your avatar. You've always been my HIgh Priestess and my High Priest.

Joan Marie will no doubt tell you how she wishes members to handle situations like this. But for me, if someone takes something out of context, I'd just say "that's a bit out of context and this is why". I wouldn't make a fuss about it. People should I think be capable of defending themselves when challenged or misunderstood if they go public with their beliefs and theories.

Oh, and I'm sorry I haven't written since Christmas. I feel guilty about it actually. You've been a lot in my mind these days - life is always sweeter when you're around. I hope everyone feels the sweetness because it's good.

Edited to add: The only reason I ended up joining the online tarotsphere again, because I was looking for you. Sherlock Holmes style.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

HOLMES wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 06:00 I remember when I started quoting on atf,, I would quote only the thing I wanted to speak to..
Hi Holmes! Yeah, I can see how that could happen, but I haven't seen it myself. So I think it's not an issue really, However, if someone did feel their words were mischaracterised by a shortened quote, I imagine it could easily be remedied by just saying so.

But again, I have not seen that particular issue and the concern about the remote possibility of it shouldn't over-ride how we use the forum in general.

Thanks for asking!

Return to “Forum Tips, Tech Assistance & Guest Info”