This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Recommend Ascending or Descending order?

Support links and helpful advice for using the forum to its fullest.
For Members and Guests
archimedes
Sage

Recommend Ascending or Descending order?

Post by archimedes »

Apologies for the silly question but I have a forum settings question.

I've had posts on Ascending and on Descending order and now I don't know which is best. Old ones first means that you have to step through sometimes a lot of pages to find the current ones, but new first means I sometimes miss relevant previous posts. I think I have two different forums with two different settings!

Which do you recommend? I've forgotten what the forum default is. I shouldn't have messed with it!
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
fire cat pickles
Sage

Re: Recommend Ascending or Descending order?

Post by fire cat pickles »

I haven't touched mine because it's what I'm used to since I don't know when!

Under User Control Panel =>Board Settings => Edit display options, the default "Display post order direction" is "Ascending". It's the last option on that page.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

archimedes wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:11 Apologies for the silly question but I have a forum settings question.

I've had posts on Ascending and on Descending order and now I don't know which is best. Old ones first means that you have to step through sometimes a lot of pages to find the current ones, but new first means I sometimes miss relevant previous posts. I think I have two different forums with two different settings!

Which do you recommend? I've forgotten what the forum default is. I shouldn't have messed with it!
At the top of every thread with more than one page, you will see this:

2019-09-26 10.08.11 am.png
2019-09-26 10.08.11 am.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

You see there is a place where you can click directly to the first unread post in the thread.

Also, you see you can click directly on the page you want (for me that's usually the last page). So that way you can keep your default setting of seeing the first post but easily jump to the end when you want.

by the way, not a silly question at all.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

Thanks you Joan Marie, that's really helpful. I hadn't spotted that one - or hadn't paid attention, anyway - very handy!
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.

Return to “Forum Tips, Tech Assistance & Guest Info”