This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 41 Tarot Cabalistique

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 41 Tarot Cabalistique

Post by Rachelcat »

This is not a tarot, but cards representing the shemhamphorash, the kabalistic 72 names of god or angels. This form of divination and esotericism seems to be studied almost completely by francophones. The deck was published in 1996 in Paris, and lwb is in French. The author is Kabaleb, and the artist is Ykariel. (I’m unimpressed by esoteric pseudonyms.) I’ve had this deck for 20 years and just noticed that the lwb is titled Tarot Cabalistique: Les Dieux Interieurs, “The Gods Within.” (I like that a lot more than the pseudonyms!) For my references, I’ll be using a chapter from La Kabbale Practique by R. Ambelain (2003), translated by Piers A. Vaughan, and Birth Angels (2004) by Terah Cox (an English book by a French-Canadian author).

The names are based on permutations of three Hebrew letters each, with an added “iah” (of the Lord) or “el” (of God) at the end to turn them into angel names.

They are numbered in simple running order and are associated with nine of the ten sephiroth (9x8=72), five-day periods (360/72=5), five separate days through the year (same), and 20-minute periods (1440 minutes in a day/72 = 20). Hopefully, this will make more sense as we go along. I’m not sure if I’ll use them or the references much at all, or just go by the illustrations. We’ll see!

Let’s try an abbreviated interview to start.

Sunday.jpg

Strength: 20. Pahaliah
A holy person is teaching a group of wise men in a cave.
This angel rules religion, theology, and morality, and religious vocations. Ok, the religious content is a strength of this deck, but I don’t think it only applies to Christian or Jewish religious truths.

Weakness: 28. Seheiah
This is the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, I think.
This angel protects from fire, lightning, and sudden illness. Oh, there he is down in the right bottom corner, helping the people escape the fire. A weakness of the deck is maybe too much emphasis on negative things we need to be protected from? We’ll see if that’ the case.

What I can learn from the deck? 50. Daniel
An angelic warrior coming from flames with a flame on his head.
This is an angel of justice, law courts, and attorneys. He also helps people make decisions. The person born under its influence loves literature and is eloquent. So maybe I’ll learn how to make better decisions and how to be eloquent!

Outcome of our work together: 70. Jabamiah
The rooster declares dawn is breaking.
The Bible verse for this angel is “In the beginning . . .” and it’s all about beginnings. So this could be just the beginning of some serious work with the 72 angels for me.

As you can see, it’s lovely artwork. I used the Ambelain only this time. We’ll try Birth Angels tomorrow, I think. See you then!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 41 Tarot Cabalistique

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
My Birth Angels

According to the book, we have three birth angels based on our birth date and time. Here are the cards that go with mine.

Monday.jpg

Incarnation Angel, physical birth and life purpose (five-day period of birthday)
21. Nelchael, ardent desire to learn
Ambelain confirms a “passion for study” and indicates the favored subjects are abstract sciences, especially math and geometry, and literature. The passion for study really does apply to me. That was my path to tarot! I’ll take it as a life purpose!
Here is Wisdom teaching old men seated humbly on the ground to receive her.

Heart Angel, qualities and use of emotions (birthday)
28. Seheiah, longevity
We had this one yesterday. It’s about avoidance of catastrophes, so it could be longevity, I guess. I won’t be suddenly brought down by a freak accident, which is good to know! Since this is emotions, maybe it means I’m very careful and avoid danger. Which I try to.
Here again the guardian angel helps people escape from a devastating fire. I hope I don’t need that kind of assistance, but good to know it’s there!

Intellect Angel, qualities and use of intellect (birth time)
6. Lelahel, light of understanding
Another about learning and knowledge. Ambelain: Fame through talents, ambition. So I don’t just love to learn, I want to be known for it too.
Evidently, the focus in the illustration is on the doctor, not the patient. “One invokes this angel to acquire knowledge and to cure illnesses.”

Well, that was interesting. It seems almost as valid as a horoscope! Maybe there’s something to this angel thing. Have a happy Monday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
What about my current tarot project?
All-Purpose Spread

Tuesday.jpg

Me: 12. Hahaiah
This angel reveals hidden mysteries to mortals. People under this angel are wise, discreet, and agreeable. This looks like a famous Pre-Raphaelite painting, but I don’t know which one. She is receving a rose from a fiery holy spirit, and there’s a clock in the background. Mysteries of beauty and time? So in relation to this project, I’m trying to reveal mysteries, but I won’t be confrontational. I want to make it comfortable and useable for all.

Project: 35. Chabakiah
This angel support peace in families and people who like to live in peace with everybody. A mysterious, timeless gateway beyond which we can see choirs of angels! So really same as the previous card. The project will be comfortable for most people. I even may make compromises to make it more palatable.

Outcome: 23. Melahel
This is kind of a mishmash. The angel promotes safe travel and healing plants. And here is a lady gathering healing plants at the riverside. My project will be healing for people and will take them somewhere they’ve never been before!

Advice: 53. Nanael
The text for this is a little garbled, but the upshot is about a person who is melancholy, private, and has knowledge of “abstract sciences.” Here the wise centaur teacher, Chiron, is pointing into the distance. The advice for me is to keep the project private for now and make the focus of it teaching what people need or want to know. And aim high!

I'm having fun with the deck so far. I hope you’re enjoying viewing it with me! See you tomorrow!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
Advice for doing my self-evaluation

Wednesday.jpg

Don’t do: 56. Poyel
A holy lady interrupts her reading to bless the viewer. Or to muse on her realizations.
By the illustration, I shouldn’t make a big deal of it or be too reverent of the questions on the form. I should put in what’s on my mind.
Let’s check Ambelain: Doesn’t match with the illustration at all! Fame and fortune, and contradictorily someone held in high esteem for his modesty and moderation. In other words, famous for not wanting to be famous. So let’s say no false modesty. Just put in the facts, and people will see that I’ve been working hard and well.

Do: 6. Lelahel
A repeat of the wise doctor taking the pulse of a patient.
Medicine is mostly science, but also an art: knowing what to do for this particular patient in this particular circumstance. I should just do and say what needs to be said. I know well enough what to say, just do it!

Have a happy Wednesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
How will the meetings go this time?

Thursday.jpg

Outcome: 19. Leuviah
A two-headed angel holds keys.
The basic information is missing in Abelain. Birth Angels says memories of past experience positively influence the present. So the angel’s two heads are looking to the past and future. The past holds the keys to the future. I will do fine because I have the experience of the previous two meetings!

Advice: 39. Rehael
Jesus points to his sacred heart and to heaven.
This card is about the relationship between parents and children. So Jesus is pointing out that he’s his father’s son. As advice, I need to remember my proper place. I’m there to make things go smoothly, not to draw attention to myself.

I hope you have a happy Thursday!

Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Very interesting, but not for me. I confess, I'm not impressed when Jewish concepts and Hebrew language are used to convey something totally Christian - from the crucifix on the wall to Madonna and Christ figures. Sacred Heart of Jesus - well, not exactly what I was looking for in a deck with the title Cabalistique. But thank you for presenting it here and working with it!
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

I totally understand! From what I've read, it's not just this deck but also the whole 72 angels tradition that's very Christian/Catholic. Which does seem odd given the basis. But then kabbalah was co-opted by Christians very early, back to the early Renaissance. As I've mentioned before, I'm not Jewish, Christian, or Pagan, so I just go with the mythology and symbolism I meet with. I understand if that's not appealing to you.

Thanks for dropping in, and saying what I think needed to be said!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
What do I need to know about my (virtual) conference this weekend?

Friday.jpg

Outcome: 48. Mihael
I don’t know what I’m looking at here. Is an angel rescuing a wounded naked woman?
Ambelain says the card is about married love and fidelity and children. Hmm. So maybe this is the happy couple? Seems like a stretch. Anyway, about a conference, I’ll feel like I belong, I’ll make friends, and I’ll want to continue faithfully with the group.

Advice: 65. Damabiah
Also a mysterious illustration. Two pillars stand off the shore, and a small directional sign is on the beach.
This angel is about all open waters and maritime travel and trade. At least this illustration make sense! As advice, I should go with the flow and profit from the places the conference takes me (in my mind anyway).

Well, this whole reading was a stretch, but let’s see how it all turns out!

Have a lovely Friday, everyone!

Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Rachelcat wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 12:26 I totally understand! From what I've read, it's not just this deck but also the whole 72 angels tradition that's very Christian/Catholic. Which does seem odd given the basis. But then kabbalah was co-opted by Christians very early, back to the early Renaissance. As I've mentioned before, I'm not Jewish, Christian, or Pagan, so I just go with the mythology and symbolism I meet with. I understand if that's not appealing to you.

Thanks for dropping in, and saying what I think needed to be said!

I know now what this deck reminds me of - Robert Place's Angels Tarot. Even the font is similar. I'll have a look at it again, it's the one Place deck that I find difficult to connect with, it's very dry somehow. (I'm not Jewish either but more of a Paganically-inclined ex-Christian....)

You did a very good job with this deck!
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Nemia wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 15:03 I know now what this deck reminds me of - Robert Place's Angels Tarot. Even the font is similar. I'll have a look at it again, it's the one Place deck that I find difficult to connect with, it's very dry somehow. (I'm not Jewish either but more of a Paganically-inclined ex-Christian....)

You did a very good job with this deck!
Thank you! I'm not so sure about that, but thanks for the vote of confidence!

I really like the Saints! It IS very Christian, though. I like it because I recognize most of the Bible stories that are illustrated in the minors. It's funny because he calls the book "A Book of Gnostic Saints," but there's really nothing gnostic about it. It's straight Christian. But that's ok with me!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday, last day for Tarot Cabalistique
Should I offer readings?

Saturday.jpg

The first line is reading the illustration. The next is Ambelain. The rest is my interp.

What’s the worst thing that could happen? 14. Mebahel
I would feel tied down and punished by an avenging angel.
This card is about justice, crime, and punishment. So maybe no good deed goes unpunished?

What’s the best thing that could happen? 42. Mikael
I would offer something amazing but be ignored.
Ambelain goes long that this is Michael, the soldier angel, so it’s all about saving people and countries and the military glory. I would eventually be honored if I soldier on?

What’s likely to happen? 8. Cahetel
I will practice my spiritual art.
Love of nature, work, and business. I will be active in pursuing my tarot work.

This is hardly a ringing endorsement to take on the project. I’ll have to think about it some more, and maybe do some more readings about it before investing my time.

Well, that’s it for this deck. It’s certainly very different than any other deck, tarot or oracle. I might have to get into it again later and see if I can make it make more sense!

See you tomorrow with a new deck. I think it’s going to be tarot this time. Having tarot withdrawal again!

Have a great day!

Return to “Week 41 - My Deck of the Week”