This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 37 Tyldwick Tarot

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 37 Tyldwick Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

Here’s a beauty I never really read with, only looked lovingly at the artwork. The deck gives the dreamy impression of wandering through a deserted great house and seeing inexplicable but strangely significant scenes. It’s a little difficult on my aging eyes, but worth it to try to delve into its secrets. The box doesn’t have the name of the deck or any text except “Malpertius copyright 2013” on the flap. A rookie artist’s mistake? Or just a way of increasing the mystery?

backs and box.jpg

Now the interview!

Sunday.jpg

All cards are staves, plus the Sun! More fiery than I had given the deck credit for . . . I swear I shuffled: I washed, turned all cards upright, overhand shuffled, and cut. So I guess all these staves must mean something!

Deck’s most important characteristic. Four of Staves
Well, this is obvious: The deck is foremost a work of art. And not just an art object. It is important that we see the effort and energy that went into its creation.

Deck’s strength. Queen of Staves
The deck is a perfectly balanced blend of water and fire, nature and nurture. We’re in the garden, and the plants are growing strong, but there is a strong presence of the works of human hands. The architecture tries to follow the feeling of natural beauty.

Deck’s weakness. Seven of Staves
It protects its secrets perhaps a bit too well. But then sometimes the associations are just a bit TOO obvious.

What can I learn from it? Sun
Lighting is important in art as well as in photography. I can learn to reveal secrets and make things plain. I can learn about creativity and enjoyment. A blending of cultures can be quite appropriate and telling.

How can I learn all that? Eight of Staves
This is one of my favorite cards of this deck. Although it’s static, it really gives the impression of the movement of the staves. I can learn from this deck by using my mind and my energy. Otherwise, it will just zoom over my head.

Outcome of our work together. Five of Staves
In the end, our work together will be a struggle. I love it, but I really can’t see it well enough, I think. But maybe it will be a struggle that will make us both stronger. We’ll be well-matched adversaries, and we’ll both benefit from our conflict.
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 37 Tyldwick Tarot

Post by Joan Marie »

I have coveted this deck for a long time.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Did I mention it has gold edges? :) Actually, it is kind of difficult to see the details, making it a problem to read for others. On the other hand, that gives it a lot of depth. It's very suggestive. I hope you get a copy in your hands someday!

Monday, Labor Day
Fill-in elemental star. Since yesterday I had all cards of one suit, today I’m going to intentionally draw one card from each suit. The question is what will be happening with me now through the end of the year?

Monday.jpg

Four of Coins
I can’t see what the 4x4 square is in the middle, and the circle is definitely not a normal zodiac, but I can’t see exactly what it is either. There are four coins but they’re not arranged in a perfect square. And the window isn’t square either. The window is in a sturdy brick wall with a guardian face over it. I will be holding onto my money, but more importantly, my physical body will not be going very far from home. I see continuing quarantining in my future!

Four of Cups
Fancy tankards on a mantel in front of faded wallpaper that imitates a unicorn tapestry. Is this the Gryffindor common room? The unicorn is found in front of an ornate fountain. (Yes, I looked it up in my Cloisters catalog. I saw that very tapestry, and the others, in person when I went to an historic playing card exhibit there a few years ago.) I will not only be keeping myself to myself, I’ll be keeping my feelings to myself too. I may be absorbed in fantasy, which will be restful but not all that productive.

Nine of Swords
A very stark card. Did the prisoner etch a rendition of the Marseille 9 Swords on the wall to while away the time? You can tell by his pose that the incarceration is just as much in his mind as of his body. I don’t look forward to this kind of guilt and regret in the coming months! Maybe I can do something to prevent it now.

Seven of Staves
More closed things and guarding. The difference here is the 7, bringing in the idea of enjoyment of guarding and taking care of myself. Very clever to use toy soldiers, making a game, enjoyment, out of defenses.

High Priestess
Those candles are more like obelisks than candles. And who perches a goddess on top of a clock? She transcends temporal affairs, I guess. Plus it makes her height more imposing. I will continue to be concerned about intuition and inner wisdom rather and conventional wisdom through the rest of the year. I should stop beating myself up for not diving into a learning project that just seems pointless these days . . . Maybe browsing art books to see where the art takes me is the way to go!

Have a great holiday and a lovely Monday. I’ll see you all tomorrow!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
Why the Who is in the What

Tuesday.jpg

All one suit again and related major! I think that’s the way this deck likes it.

I will have to be clever (8) and determined (king) in my work (ace) today. And dexterous (king has a monkey on the table), I think. But I will be richly rewarded (Empress) for it.

I’m getting discouraged because I really can’t see the illustrations. Even when using my little plastic dome magnifier. But let’s go with what I can see.

gilt edges and magnifier.jpg

The ace is a circular mosaic on a larger mosaic background. Simplicity in complexity, and very earthy tiles.

I can’t really see the scene in the 8. Maybe it’s someone working in a garden of a great estate? And the coins here are lozenge mosaics.

The king has a statute of a monkey and salt and pepper grinders on an elaborate chest and a sinister (or just mysterious) portrait on the window. The large vases with large plants help give it more of a coins feel.

The Empress is the many-breasted Diana of Ephesus in a lushly green garden setting, definitely an image of abundance and life.

Have a happy day! I’ll see you tomorrow after I make an appointment with the eye doctor! (Just kidding. Or maybe not . . .)

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
Three cards, no positions, no question

Wednesday.jpg

Emperor, Lovers, Ace of Staves
The person in charge, in control, needs the motivation of emotion and desire to activate his energy.

The Emperor is full of goodies. First of all, it’s the library, but you can see it’s very orderly and by the book, so to speak. When he sits behind this desk, he’s the ruler of the globes. Even the floor tiles are orderly, alhough covered by a more luxurious carpet.

In the Lovers, Europa is being spirited away by the bull while a heart-shaped bust is indecisive between two portraits.

The ace is appropriately bright even in this dark deck. It’s a dynamic shape of tree branch it’s made of, not a static generic shape. The mosaic has come movement, too; the squares are in varied positions, not all in one direction.

Have a happy Wednesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
Why the Who is in the What

Thursday.jpg

(Complete with cat feet.)
Justice, Queen of Swords, 3 Staves, Ace of Staves
I’ll be teaching or learning about travel because I need more work-life balance, or at least home-outside balance.

And again we have suits hanging together, staves and swords. I think of Justice as a swords card, although I don’t think this one has a sword, just the scales.

The queen is lovely, with harps and flamingos and a view of the sky.

A model ship under glass. Someone obviously put a lot of effort into it and wants to protect it.

Ace of Staves again, looking just as active as ever.

I find this Justice a beautiful card. I guess it’s the pink flowers, and of course it’s very balanced. It has scales of course, but also a mirror so we can reflect on our actions to see if they were just. Or maybe so there are two of us to balance, our appearance and the real us.

Happy Thursday to you!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
Elemental star random, weekend outlook

Friday.jpg

Almost all fire again. That’s how this deck rolls!

Physically, Queen of Staves
I will be active and busy, but I’ll enjoy it.

Emotionally, 3 Staves
I’ll feel different than I usually feel. My attitudes will change.

Intellectually, Fortitude
I won’t have any trouble expressing my opinions, and sticking to them. For good or ill.

Energetically, 6 Staves
I will be successful in accomplishing all my plans. I will be hopeful.

Spiritually, Ace of Coins
On a higher level, I’ll be concentrating on health and home. I will care about both good foundations and a good presentation.

Have a happy Friday and a good weekend!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday, last day for the Tyldwick
Rachel’s Serenity Prayer Spread

Saturday.jpg

2 Cups, Knight of Cups, Lovers
I can’t change the fact that I’m attracted to the people I’m attracted to, and not to people I’m not. That’s just the way it is. I can accept it by accepting the goofy, romantic side of me. It’s not hurting anything. And accepting that love and choice are powerful parts of my life can have a calming effect.

3 Cups, Knight of Coins, Hermit
I can put more energy into my friendships and expressing my feelings in practical ways, by concrete actions. I can do this because even though I’m a true introvert, who wants to always be alone?

8 Staves, Knight of Swords, Fortitude
The difference is friendship you can plan for, romantic attraction not as much. I understand that because I’ve thought it through. The Hermit will give me courage and courage will give me wisdom. Hmm. Wisdom is facing up to the actual circumstances of my life, not trying to hide from them. And if I try to understand them intellectually, that’s ok, because that’s who I am.

Knights are fireplaces. Queens are fountains. Pages are garden walls. Kings are windows. (I realize, since I had all knights here.)

Sorry I didn’t get to share more of the stunning majors, but I hope you’ve enjoyed the Tyldwick. I must stay I probably won’t be using it because I really can’t see details, even the titles are difficult for me to read. But it is lovely!

See you tomorrow with a different deck!

Return to “Week 37 - My Deck of the Week”