This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

JM DoW: Beatles Tarot

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

JM DoW: Beatles Tarot

Post by Joan Marie »

The Beatles Tarot and Key
The Beatles Tarot and Key

This week I will attempt to get aquainted with my newly acquired ❤️ copy of The Beatles Tarot which came with this nice "Key" to the deck's secrets.

I grew up with (among others) 3 older sisters who during the Beatles time, were all teenagers so I am fairly well acquainted with the Beatles in general, so learning this deck will be fun.
tumblr_3c4715093904f5c8986c75531fc790c0_260a091b_640.jpg

First one out of the gate I get my favourite, George!

In this deck each of the four Beatles represents one suit of the Tarot and for George that is Cups. In the Key it explains what is behind each of the choices. There are many reasons to associate George with Cups the watery elements, but I always think of his song "Within You Without You" and the slidey flowing sound of the sitar.

This card, the 5 of Cups shows a man who has survived some crazy shit living in a crazy world and finding a dignified way through it.

Not easy. For anyone.

I struggle lately with this and I think a lot of people do. You try to care about things in life but then you get constantly reminded of the massive troubles in this world and it all seems to dwarf any personal concerns or aspirations, but how do we deal with that?

Put it into the art. Put that energy, that love, that concern into everything. Don't let it overwhelm you and keep you from your purpose.

I think this song really finds the feeling I'm looking for here. This recording took place at a tribute to George. Some friends from the Travelling Willbury's, and Steve Winwood were joined by George's beautiful son Dhani and a killer guitar solo by Prince. (Check out Dhani's face at 4:45 )
What I love about the Prince solo is how he puts so much life into the song. Sometimes these kind of tribute shows can take on a sadness, but he just kicks all that out the door for a few minutes and celebrates the pure joy of the music.

Something to keep in mind in these troubled times.

Can hardly believe Tom Petty and Prince are both gone now too.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: JM DoW: Beatles Tarot

Post by Joan Marie »

Beatles Tarot Tuesday.jpg

The Knight of Pennies. Pennies is the suit that represents Paul and the author of the Key to this deck makes a very good case for why.

Pennies, represents Discs or Pentacles of course, the suit of earthly concerns. Paul is known for his country style of living as well as his efforts to protect the interests of their music. Both things that stem from earthly, grounded thinking. He's also the author of Penny Lane.

In the key entry to this card we are given some truly sweet insight into Paul's character and how it relates to the knight, not on horseback but rather in a car and presenting the gift of his music before him. Truly this book is filled with a thousand little treasures which give deep insight into the imagery and how it is presented. This deck has a real depth that I have to admit, was unexpected and wonderfully surprising.

Speaking of earthly concerns, let's talk about ME now.

I feel like this knight today, a bit concerned (see that look in Paul's eye) about an offer I am about to make. An offer of my time and limited talents. An offer made for nothing so I do fear it won't won't be valued. Paul was more clever that that!

But I shall carry on with one eye in the rear-view, contemplating Yesterday, and hoping for a happy tomorrow.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I've been on my computer all day and I have to walk away now but here is the card I pulled for today:
Beatles wednesday.jpg

lets just say in short, I relate hard to this.

And once again, the guidebook entry (key) is wonderfully sensitive and insightful.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

beatles friday.jpg

Really staying with the pennies so far!
So paul it is.

A sweet image of Paul performing a balancing act with his step-daughter.
Funny how she is literally stepping on him.

The book talks about the love and dedication required to see a project through and here I am on a day when I have taken the decision to bail on a project that I have put a fair amount of work into but decided it's best to cut my losses.

The main reason is because it was (in addition to not going very well) taking me away form more creative endeavors, things I would much rather be working on so hopefully that is what the card is in reference to, the work I should be doing that I do have love and heart for and to not be distracted by other things.
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Joan Marie wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 16:40 beatles friday.jpg

The book talks about the love and dedication required to see a project through and here I am on a day when I have taken the decision to bail on a project that I have put a fair amount of work into but decided it's best to cut my losses.
The new project - the young girl - has become a weight. (cf. "Carry That Weight" from Abbey Road - a Paul song - which is followed by a track called "The End", the last they ever recorded together as a band, which is clearly a case of the tarot confirming your decision to pull the plug.)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

beatles saturday.jpg

It's a John Lennon card, I think my first this week. The 6 of S/Words

A scene of complicated domesticity, and is there any other kind?

Here's john with his first wife and child with the image of Yoko looming (kind of a specific word choice there) overhead.

Again I have to apologise for not being able to take the time to explain this card as I'd like and what it means to me today. I had intended to catch up on a lot of correspondence and posts I've been meaning to make but the day got away from me and now my domestic life is calling for my attention.

Food is being prepared and a bit if celebrating has begun which I shall now join.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

tumblr_891bc622860e08af0224c02627a7854b_d3039381_640.jpg

The Knight of S/Words

The message is confusing to me. But it's early Sunday afternoon here and the weather is finally extremely pleasant so I sat outside and had me an Aperol Spritzer (just one) to celebrate the day and life so my "confusion" may stem a bit from that.

Again a car is used as the Knight's vehicle. This time a Rolls.

It's such a funny idea, isn't it, what a person's idea of wealth is. It makes me think of that song/video from the South African group Die Antwoort. The song is called "Rich Bitch" and it's full of imagery of things a poor person would find symbolic of wealth. my favourite is when she says "nutella on my sarmi" (Sarmi is Afrikaans slang for sandwich ) and the plastic red-lip telephone. I always wanted one of those when I was a kid.

Warning, you may find this video crass. Personally I find this band has an amazing political view on life and human existence and are real artists. But that's me.

Anyway, John's piano floats above representing his ideals, his art, but on the ground it manifests as a rolls for a guy that life did not expect would ever have a rolls. Funny how eager we get to use our power only to just conform to someone else's ideas of what that power can do. There's a battle to try and prove you're different, but something pulls you to be kind of average.

Well enough of that, says the girl drinking Aperol spritzers on a Sunday afternoon and proselytising on how we all should live.

Enjoy your Sunday any way you can.

Return to “Week 34 - My Deck of the Week”