This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Beginner's Circle - Three card spread

Charlie Brown
Sage

Beginner's Circle - Three card spread

Post by Charlie Brown »

Hello everybody,

I'm seeing a lot of new 'faces' around here, many/most of whom are expressing that they're very new to tarot reading WELCOME! I thought it might be fun to get together and practice one of the foundational methods of tarot reading: the basic three-card spread with positions. Every person who signs up will give one reading and get one reading. I hope that you'll join us!

Please keep in mind that readers of ALL skill levels are invited to participate. IMO, it's good practice for all of us to strip down our techniques and get back to some core simple practices.

In order to sign up, just respond to this thread. Also, please subscribe to the thread so that you'll be notified of any updates that I post.
Dates
Partners assigned on Aug. 15th
Sitters should ask their questions as soon as possible after partners are assigned.
Readings are due by Aug. 24th.
Feedback is due by the end of the month.

What is a 3 card spread?

Well, like the name says, a three card spread is made of up three cards dealt left-to-right. Each card in the spread is assigned a spread position, which provides guidance on how to relate the card to the question. The most common of these is "past-present-future" but there are endless possibilities. Being able to decide what set of spread positions are most appropriate to your sitters question. Some examples are:

Situation - obstacle - advice
you - the status of your relationship - your partner
something to think - something to do - something to feel
What worked - what didn't work - a lesson to take from it.

Additional Rules
NO CLARIFIERS! Beginning readers often use clarifiers as a crutch because they aren't yet familiar with how to interpret the cards in contexts that aren't immediately obvious. Use this as an opportunity to work on that skills

the Base and/or Shadow card if you do feel like you need or want a little extra help to guide your interpretations, try using the base card method instead of individual clarifiers. The base card is a name for the card that is on the bottom of the deck after you shuffle, cut, and deal the cards. It is used to give a general sense to the overview of the reading. Recently, for example, I came across a 10 of Swords and wasn't clear on whether the card had a positive or negative feel to it. Had the base card been, The Tower, for example, I might have been able to say "run for the hills!"
I believe in Crystal Light.
Rose Crystal
Seeker

Re: Beginner's Circle - Three card spread

Post by Rose Crystal »

What a great idea!

I'd like to sign up :)
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Charlie Brown wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 20:02 Additional Rules
NO CLARIFIERS! Beginning readers often use clarifiers as a crutch because they aren't yet familiar with how to interpret the cards in contexts that aren't immediately obvious. Use this as an opportunity to work on that skills
I'm always banging on about There Are NO Rules In Tarot, but this one really ought to be a Rule. 😏
the Base and/or Shadow card if you do feel like you need or want a little extra help to guide your interpretations, try using the base card method instead of individual clarifiers...
This is my method as well. 👍
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

JudyK wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 19:46 I'm always banging on about There Are NO Rules In Tarot, but this one really ought to be a Rule. 😏
I'm not saying it's a rule for tarot, just this month's group. I tend not to use base cards, but I'm philosophically ok with them because the bottom card is, if you think about it, the other side of the cut. It's the bleeding wound caused by your question.

Also, I wasn't clear...Are you signing up for the circle?
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Charlie Brown wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 21:13 I'm not saying it's a rule for tarot, just this month's group...
I know you weren't, but if I'm ever made the CEO of Tarot 😉 this one will be made a rule!
Also, I wasn't clear...Are you signing up for the circle?
No, I'm not, sorry. Not my thing.
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
shadowrose
Seer

Post by shadowrose »

i would like to participate, please.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

OK, Filidh and Shadowrose. You'll read for each other this month. I made a separate thread for you two to work in. It's here:

viewtopic.php?f=324&t=3055

Return to “Beginners Tarot Circle: Hosted by Charlie Brown”