This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

JMs DoW: Lonely Dreamer

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

JMs DoW: Lonely Dreamer

Post by Joan Marie »

I just received this deck s a gift and it is wonderful. This is the fourth deck by Canadian artist Melissa Wotherspoon and the first of hers to not be entirely made of her original artwork, but rather is a celebration of the art of Odilon Redon, an artist whose vast body of work Melissa has carefully worked with to interpret it, very astutely, to the Tarot.
lonely dreamer tarot.jpg

This deck was inspired by the times we live in and Melissa took the brave move to say so in her accompanying guidebook. Creating this deck was a way for Melissa to process what was happening around her, around all of us in these times of social distancing and social upheaval.

I'll write a more complete review later. For now, onto deck of the Week and my first draw:

4 of Cups
4 of Cups

This fallen angel under a scarlet sky giving into self-absorption. Easy to do these days without the benefit of normal distractions and human enconters that can take us out of ourselves.

I just saw a photo of a vacation spot, sun glinting off the sea and I sit here in a darkened room, working at my scarlet-coloured table, and I was wishing so badly to see sunlight glinting off the water and to have no reason to have to care about anything but the moment.

Some days it's a little harder to push through current circumstances than others. Today is one for me. I'm trying very hard but I feel this black-winged angel's mood. Today will take some effort.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot ๐Ÿ’š
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: JMs DoW: Lonely Dreamer

Post by Joan Marie »

lonely dreamer.jpg

Interesting image of a Sword coming directly from the King's mouth.

The Sword symbolises intellect so hopefully this means I will say smart things today! (or rather write, since I have a lot of writing to do)

The image is so dark and yet the butterflies and handful of stars look like a sign of hope to me.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

tumblr_7cd56438d1f045c645d9f5348bdea1ca_db1bc95d_500.jpg

There are some very colourful cards in this deck but I don't seem to be pulling them this week. It may be hard to see from this photo but there is an interesting design in the background.

Funny coincidence, I am sitting in a dark room. It's day but I have the blinds closed and curtains drawn all over the house because today is going to be a hot one.

This Priestess' book glows like a phone or computer screen.

I probably bear a resemblance here.

I am resigned to some focused work today, a combination of study and writing. So hopefully this lady will accompany me.
I also need to contact a couple of artists, one a film maker and another a painter. Different topics but both may be in Priestess mode. I'll keep it in mind.

I think I will keep this card out where I can see it.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

lonely dreamer tarot.jpg

Beautiful. I love the colours. And I dreamed about the Queen of Swords last night. Seriously, and then pulled this card.

I feel like she's looking out for me. Or trying to tell me something. Or both.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

lonely dreamer tarot.jpg

I don't tend to use "jumpers" but this card jumped out twice while I was shuffling, so I decided I need to go with it.

As an aside, i always loved this painting from Redon. I know it's weird and spooky. But I like spiders. I think they are beautiful and amazing creatures. I know not everyone agrees with that but we all have our phobias, spiders just isn't one of mine.

8 legs, 8 wands.

I'm breaking away today and focusing on something wholly new and unrelated to any other project I am working on. I need the break to spin new kinds of webs, expand myself. And who knows, it may end up tying back in to other things, fitting together. But for now I'm taking my 8 little legs and scurrying off to elsewhere.

Have a lovely Friday.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

lonely dreamer .jpg

Nice. I have really felt the presence lately of a guardian spirit. What a nice image, this gentle face overlooking the little sailboat.

Melissa (the deck creator) did such a beautiful job curating these images to fit to the tarot. Her choices are whimsical and etheric. I really do love this deck. I hope to have some time soon to really sit down and do some readings with it.

Return to โ€œWeek 32 - My Deck of the Weekโ€