This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 32 Austenesque!

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 32 Austenesque!

Post by Rachelcat »

Well, two decks of the same theme seemed to work last week, so I’m back to do it again. This week’s decks are Tarot of Jane Austen by Diane Wilkes and Le Beau Monde Regency Tarot Deck by Jennifer Pool.

Disclosures: I’m an Austen fan, and just joined a local JASNA book club (with meetings by Zoom, of course). I’ve read some of Austen’s contemporaries, some horrid novels, and my share of fan fiction (now termed “austenesque”), and even had a complicated idea for a fan fic story of my own (that will never actually be written, but I had it blocked out with notes and all!). But I’ve never read a Georgette Heyer novel or other Regency romance.

Tarot of Jane Austen was written by Diane Wilkes and illustrated by a Lo Scarabeo artist. The illustrations are obviously based on movies, most noticeably the Emma Thompson Sense and Sensibility and the 1940’s Hollywood Pride and Prejudice. This is a bit jarring because the costuming is very different on various cards. This is a fully illustrated deck, with suits of Candlesticks, Teacups, Quill, and Coins. The courts are Maiden, Knight, Lady, and Lord. Attached are titles I made up to briefly tell which scene from which novel is depicted on each card.

On the other hand, Le Beau Monde is all about authentic costuming! The illustrations are taken from Ackermann’s Repository, a fashion magazine of the era (early 1800s). It’s a pips deck with suits of Candles, Parasols, Fans, and Reticules. All of the figures are women, and the courts are those denizens of Regency romance, Debutante, Bluestocking, Duchess, and Dowager.

Enough description! On to the interviews!

Tarot of Jane Austen

Sunday 2.jpg

Most important characteristic: Strength, Fanny Price and Henry Crawford, Mansfield Park
This is a powerful deck, if we give it a chance. And it can show how the seemingly weak are really strong, like Fanny, especially emotionally. She was strong in her feelings, of dislike for Henry’s earlier questionably moral actions, and of course of her love for Edmund, which guarded her from Henry’s advances.

Strength: Hanged Woman, Fanny again, Mansfield Park
Again, the strength of the deck is emotion, and trying to do right. Fanny wasn’t always able to be perfectly morally correct, but at least she tried. She was in a very socially precarious position. The deck shows not pictures of perfection, but real people with real problems and the way they were able to solve them.

Weakness: 5 Coins, Mrs. Smith, Emma
Going meta here, the presentation of the deck isn’t perfect. The illustrations could have been better, and the packaging much better! But we don’t have to let that hold us back from enjoying it.

What I can learn: 9 Candlesticks, Frederica writes to Reginald, Lady Susan
This is another strength card, specifically self-defense. (I associate 9s with the cardinal virtues.) Frederica was forbidden by her mother to tell her hosts that she was being forced into an unwanted marriage, so she told her hostess’s brother instead. She had to circumvent the spirit of the law to protect herself. Once again, we’re learning that someone ostensibly weak and disadvantaged has real strength of character.

How can I learn it? 4 Candlesticks, Bennet double wedding, Pride and Prejudice
The easiest way to learn is by enjoyment. While I’m enjoying reliving some of my favorite stories, I’ll be learning about strength, weakness, and how they can work together. And, at least in some fiction, there’s always a happy ending!

Outcome of our work together: 5 Candlesticks, Catherine resists, Northanger Abbey
It will take some effort, and maybe some disagreeing with the author, to get everything I can out of the deck. After learning about the different kinds of strength, I will be stronger in my reading!

Le Beau Monde

Sunday 3.jpg

Most important characteristic: Bluestocking of Parasols
This is the romantic of the deck, she’s a bluestocking, but she only reads the most romantic literature of the past. Same with the deck. It’s a romantic picture (literally) of a nostalgic past.

Strength: Bluestocking of Candles
But that doesn’t mean it’s just all soppy. It has some humor and some action, of an intellectual kind, of course. This bluestocking isn’t reading about the past, she’s writing her own action stories!

Weakness: Wheel of Fortune
It’s questionable if we can really use it for predictive readings.

What I can learn: 8 Reticules
I can learn about production and manifestation of tarot projects from this deck’s example.

How can I learn it? Dowager of Parasols
With the correct combination of fire and water, acting on intuitions and feelings. And admiration. This is by far the best costume of this bunch!

Outcome of our work together: 8 Fans
Working with the deck might be too much of an intellectual exercise. But again that could be beneficial. Really proving that this whole reading pips thing is working for me!

Heavy on bluestockings (knights, air) and 8s (Mercury), so heavy on intellect, thinking and learning. Which I like!

I look forward to more with both decks! Have a great Sunday!
Attachments
Tarot of Jane Austen.pdf
(30.73 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Nemia
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 32 Austenesque!

Post by Nemia »

Oh, wow, great decks here! May I stay for a cup of tea in the housekeeper's room?
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

How about a nice basin of thin gruel in the drawing room? ;)

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday

JA Why the Who is in the What

Monday 1.jpg

Pride and Prejudice, Edward Ferrars in Sense and Sensibility, William Price in Mansfield Park, Darcy’s letter to Lizzy in P&P

In my actions today, I need to work on tangible things relating to movement and change, and maybe travel. It would be good to keep an open mind. If I’m confronted with anyone’s faults, I need to balance them out by considering my own!

Le Beau Monde Why the Who is in the What

Monday 2.jpg

Today I should let myself enjoy knowing that I have an adequate budget and money to spend on enjoyment. But don’t forget that things can change suddenly. Enjoy it while I can, but don’t spend it all in one place!

Interesting choice for Hanged Woman. I assume it’s a mourning outfit. I guess they needed to see them in the fashion mags too. Now I’m going to look through the deck to find out what the Death card looks like!

Enjoy your Monday!

Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I fell in love completely with the Le Beau Monde! I hope I can still find a copy. What a wonderful deck!
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

I hope you find it. It is lovely. And, as the creator describes it, "lady-centric." Love that!

Tuesday
Full moon in Aquarius, Corn Moon, Abundance

I forgot my full moon reading yesterday, so here it is. This is a big spread, perfect for two decks!

Tuesday.jpg

The abundance I seek: Lovers, Darcy between Caroline and Lizzy
The abundance I seek is enough money and time to do what I want to do. I want to be able to choose what I do and choose the kind of life I want to live.

My relationship to abundance: Knight of Teacups, Willoughby
This makes me think of Willoughby saying that he never wants Barton Cottage improved because he found so much true happiness in it, even though it wasn’t a fine house with expensive furnishings. I feel the same way. I’m romantically happy with the abundance I have. I could do without worrying about retirement, but otherwise I’m in a great place.

How can I be more open to abundance: Knight of Coins, Edward
On the other hand, maybe it would be better to be open to more by working toward it more. Being more practical and less romantic.

An obstacle to my abundance: 4 Fans
I need financial planning help, and I’m not asking for it.

How can I clear the obstacle: 4 Parasols
I shouldn’t be so emotional about it. Whatever I’m feeling won’t change the numbers!

What is my motivation? Dowager of Parasols
But I will always have an emotional attachment to money and finances and things! I’m a Taurus rising. My motivation is to be in charge of my feelings about it, not to let them rule me.

How do I align my motivation with my higher self? Hermit
This looks like a higher level of Dowager of Parasols. So they are aligned already. I just need to realize that abundance and finances have a spiritual dimension.

A step I can take to manifest my desire: 9 Teacups, Mr. Weston
Share my enjoyment of the simple things with friends. Like Mr. Weston.

Ideal outcome for manifesting my abundance: Lord of Quills, Darcy
It would be nice to be a rich as Darcy! And to be responsible and careful of maintaining the wealth for myself and all who depend on me.

Have a happy full moon and Tuesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
Wirth Courtroom Spread

Wednesday.jpg

Wow, a lot of majors today. Let’s see what I can do with them.

Against: Temperance
For: Death
Our for and against are both sitting and not really thinking about how they look to others. They’re more wrapped up in their own thoughts, 8 Fans above. Now is not the time to be accepting and impartial. Instead, it’s time to get rid of something you don’t want, not tolerate it.

Advice: 8 Fans
And the way to figure out what needs to go is to figure it out. But the advice could be don’t be too intellectual about it. Feelings and intuition should have their say, too.

Outcome: Star
Letting go of something that needs to go can truly be a blessing. Now the lady is free to stand, move around, and nourish her plants, thereby nourishing herself.

Summary: 14+13+8+17=52=7. Chariot, Mary Crawford
The key is moving forward without fear or hesitation, like Mary learning to ride. When it’s time for something to end, go forward and do what is needed to cause it to end.

I have no idea what all this is about. Right now, I’m just putting it all together as a story. Maybe we’ll see today what has to end and how I should end it.

Have a good day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Better late than never!
Thursday
Courtroom spread again today!

Thursday.jpg

Against: 2 Teacups, Catherine and Henry
Maybe it’s not good for me to care about what others feel right now.

For: 3 Coins, Emma draws Harriet
Instead, I should concentrate on manifesting something tangible, like an art project.

Advice: 7 Coins, Robert Martin
But be persistent and patient, not like Emma giving up on her drawing if everyone didn’t love it right away, but like Robert, who watched and waited and proposed again after he was rejected once.

Outcome: 5 Teacups, Wickham relates his “misfortunes”
I may be tempted to be overly dramatic and to focus on the negative. Or someone will express that to me, like Wickham did to Lizzy. (Not that they will be outright lying like he was!)

Summary: 2+3+7+5=17. Star
Life is good. Don’t sweat the small stuff!

Have a happy Thursday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
Why the Who is in the What, same cards edition

Time to compare cards in the deck. I dealt from Le Beau Monde and found the same cards in the JA.

Friday 1.jpg
Friday 2.jpg

Ace of Candles, Pride and Prejudice

Dowager of Parasols, Lord of Teacups, Mr. Weston (King of Cups). I seem to be getting the these a lot. I really should try to figure out what they’re trying to tell me.

3 Fans, 3 Quills, Jane reads Caroline’s letter that the Bingleys are leaving

Wheel of Fortune, the Ball at the Crown

3 P&P, 1 Emma

In my actions today, I will be well in charge of my emotions and wanting to share my good feelings, but I will learn something that will make me upset. Whether it’s for good or bad, I won’t know until later. And it will all probably change again anyway.

We’ll see if any of this make sense later!

Have a happy Friday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday, last day for Austenesque

On Thursday evening the sun entered 15 degrees Leo, which means it was the cross-quarter holiday Lammas or Lughnasadh. It’s usually celebrated on August 1, but I like astrological accuracy, so August 6 it is!

In honor of this eighth of the year, I’m using my British Wheel of the Year spread.

backs.jpg

Saturday.jpg

Lady Day, first house, me: Justice, Darcy’s letter to Lizzy
I’m still searching for some life balance. Things are changing in my focus, and I don’t know what I’m going to start focusing on now.

Michaelmas, seventh house, relationships: 4 Candlesticks, Bennet double wedding
I have real friends and close family, and I celebrate it!

Midsummer, fourth house, home and background: Hierophant, Mr. Collins
My focus was on religions and spiritual stuff. I’ve gotten away from that, but what’s next?

Christmas, tenth house, public accomplishment: Strength, Fanny and Henry
Maybe I should start focusing on strength of character.

Whitsunday, earth, health and wealth: High Priestess
I should follow my intuition when it comes to my health. And maybe also my finances.

Martinmas, water, emotions: Duchess of Candles
I have a balance of fire and water, emotion and action. Which is a good place to be.

Candlemas, air, intellect: Judgement
I am trying to rise to a higher level in my studies. Again, I don’t really know where I’m going with that yet.

Lammas, fire, energy: Three of Candles
And again, my energy is going into movement and change. Ties in with Judgement and pretty much every other card here!

Now timeline:

In August and September, I will have much to celebrate and sing about.
At Halloween, I’ll be active in maintaining my relationships.
At the new year, I’ll have a reason to stand up for myself or others.
It might take until February until I figure out what I need to be concentrating in my intellectual life.
March will finding me trying to find balance.
In May, that will come to fruition.
Next summer, I’ll come to terms with my religion confusions.
About this time next year, I’ll be able to move on from that.

I’ll have to check back in with this to see if any of this comes true!

Have a lovely weekend! I’ll be back tomorrow with a new deck. Still deciding which!

Return to “Week 32 - My Deck of the Week”