This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

CoT Oracle Deck Project, Sign Ups OPEN!

Join the Project here and see who's already on board
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

CoT Oracle Deck Project, Sign Ups OPEN!

Post by Joan Marie »

The Cult of Tarot Oracle Deck Project: Star & Crown Oracle*

Sign-ups are now open for any member who would like to create a card for this group Oracle Deck project.

I will try here to briefly summarize the Star & Crown Oracle.

This is an oracle, in the truest sense. An Oracle by definition is a go-between, a bridge between the Earth (the earthly, human concerns) and the “Heavens” (the divine, heavenly or spiritual guides.).

The idea is to create a deck that helps to bridge the imaginary gulf we dig between our earthly concerns and our higher selves. A deck that helps us perceive the spirit of the divine in our everyday struggles and the struggles of the larger community we live in.

This Oracle is about communication. It’s about creating links between things, between people, ideas, feelings, etc. It’s about finding solutions and responses to the things we face in our personal lives and in the greater world. We’ll see how “small” themes lead to larger ones and how they work together, compliment and support each other.

You can draw upon any esoteric practices, concepts, or studies you are versed in. You can also draw upon your own life experiences.

In the end, the cards will all come together and form a truly unique Oracle of powerful connections.

The cards will not have keywords.*
The idea is to create images that the reader will be influenced by with or without using the guidebook. The meaning/symbolism of the card will be explained in the guidebook by the artist.

This means each artist will determine for themselves what concept their card will communicate, what bridge between the Crown & Star they are depicting.

*EDIT: The cards will however be titled and those titles will appear in the guidebook (again, NOT on the cards themselves). This title can be a word or phrase, whatever the artist chooses. It's not so much a "keyword" as it is the feeling of the card, like the title of a poem, song or painting.

Clearly, this is a challenge. But don’t think everything has to be super “deep.” It’s the overall combination of things that will determine the deck’s substance. If what you choose to depict is something that you can relate to, that moves or inspires you, others will respond as well. Maybe not exactly the same way you do, but they will nonetheless.

We could actually make something original and relevant to life in the world today. We are all experiencing things we never thought we would, and other things that no one should. Many of the cracks in society, that were always there, are showing like never before. We are all learning and growing in ways we never imagined.

This is where I stop explaining because I can’t tell you anything you don’t know. We’re all going through all this together, in real time. Maybe this project, and ultimately this deck, will be a way to help each other process our world views, our concerns, our hopes and the challenges we have ahead of us.

EDIT A really good suggestion has been made and I want to incorporate it into the design of this deck. I will post here in it's original wording:
Pen wrote: While I was working yesterday the painting whispered in my ear (it seems to be part of the process). So I listened, as I always do, followed the advice and added a Star and Crown as part of the narrative and was pleased with the result. Anyway, so far so good. Later it occurred to me that this idea could be incorporated into all the card images - it wouldn't be difficult. The Star and Crown could be either incidental or an important part of what's happening on the card. They could combine to form a tiny logo on a mobile phone that's in use, or appear as an actual star or something star or crown-shaped - anything from a flower to a fountain, or perhaps as objects with those words as part of their names - eg. starfish, starfruit, starflower, stars and stripes etc. Crown is a little more tricky as all the alternative meanings are less obvious - eg. crown of a hat, head or tooth...! but stars and crowns make good patterns on cushions, posters, book covers or toys for children, maybe images on a screen. An extra dimension to bind the deck together.
So the idea is, whatever your card design is, see how you can portray a star and a crown into the design somewhere.
I really do think this, in addition to tying the cards together and bringing out the theme, is also a fun challenge for the artists.
And if you need any help finding a way to do that, maybe you could submit it to the group for suggestions. Use the Art/WIP section.

EDIT: And the Star and Crown don't need to necessarily be literal stars and crowns. I'll let you decide what that means!

Technical Stuff:

To optimize printing costs, I would like to start with 32 cards as a goal. (this is one sheet of 88x126mm cards)
If that is accomplished and we still have a lot of steam, then let’s shoot for 64 cards or as close to that as possible.

Template:
The finished cards will be 88x126mm. (for reference, a standard tarot card is 70x120mm)

Here is the template in 2 file formats, jpeg and PDF.

Template jpeg format, First click on it then download.
Template jpeg format, First click on it then download.
Star &Crown template.pdf
(73.26 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

To give you an idea, here is the card I am currently working on (still unfinished.) The image on the right has a white border to indicate the “bleed area.” The finished, cut card is the part inside the bleed area. There will be no border showing. Your artwork should go all the way to the edge (left image) and all the important information should stay within the “Safe Area” indicated by the blue guidelines.

no border.png
with bleed line.png

(This is my son's girlfriend Shauna from a picture she calls "Celebrating Myself". )

The template has all the details you’ll need.
IMPORTANT: If you need any help or assistance at all, please just let me know. One of my favourite parts of Button Soup Tarot was working with people to help them get their ideas to a finished card. The collaboration is part of the magic.

Submit finished art to: artshare@cultoftarotforum.com

Booklet Text: EDIT: I have created a google Doc that all the artists can work from together. I will send you the link when you join the project. If you don't have it please just PM me or email me.

That’s it!

I haven’t set a “deadline” but logistically, early autumn would be perfect. The sooner work starts coming in though, the more it inspires others, so the sooner it starts coming in the better!

I will open up some more discussion threads so we can help each other work through this project.

To Sign Up: Just reply to this thread. I hope you do. I see something wonderful coming from this.

**If you are not a member of CoT, it takes just a few seconds to join. Just click "Register" in the top right of this page. If you are a member and need help logging in, email support@cultoftarotforum.com
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Pen
Sage

Re: CoT Oracle Deck Project, Sign Ups OPEN!

Post by Pen »

Yes please! I'll download the template now. :D
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Great Pen! Thanks for helping get this project kicked off!
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Okay I want to say yes and I'm immediately thinking of some ideas I could play around with but I also want to really it down and think these ideas through. So yes, but let me see if I can really dig for something within myself, perhaps I can give my none professional drowning skills a chance?
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

qndynes wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 18:57 Okay I want to say yes and I'm immediately thinking of some ideas I could play around with but I also want to really it down and think these ideas through. So yes, but let me see if I can really dig for something within myself, perhaps I can give my none professional drowning skills a chance?
I think this one is going to take some thinking. I don't expect anyone who wants to join in on this has a real firm idea in mind. But I hope that the first step to get an idea cooking is to sign up for the project, you know what I mean?

So anybody out there who thinks they'd like to do this but is hesitating because your not sure exactly what to do, don't worry about that. Just sign up and see what happens.

This is nothing like doing a tarot deck. So let's just take it a step at a time. It sort of fits the idea of the deck anyway, not really knowing but always trying to get through a day, or a week or...

Signing up is a kind of act of faith! But fun, I hope.
JulianneVictoria
Seer

Post by JulianneVictoria »

Count me in! 💕
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I'm not sure that my art is good enough ... but I'd love to try. I have returned lately to drawing and doodling a bit, and most of it comes straight from my unconscious....
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Nemia wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 01:09 I'm not sure that my art is good enough ... but I'd love to try. I have returned lately to drawing and doodling a bit, and most of it comes straight from my unconscious....
That sounds perfect actually! 🦋
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Yey! I'm in! :) We need some rules please! :mrgreen: as I have idea for "Butterfly Effect" & "Dire Predicament" (based on that vintage movie poster Pen made unless she would like to use it here!) & would also like to do something like You Are Original as tribute to our antypiracy awarenes movement? So where do we discuss card ideas as i dont see who signed for what card from my android? Also can I sign up for 2/3 cards now or should I wait for evryone to get a chance? Also can we use public domain img? Photos obviously need participant permision etc btw like that athlete from your card totally have that olimpic vibe! :mrgreen:
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

reall wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 14:25 Yey! I'm in! :) We need some rules please! :mrgreen: as I have idea for "Butterfly Effect" & "Dire Predicament" (based on that vintage movie poster Pen made unless she would like to use it here!) & would also like to do something like You Are Original as tribute to our antypiracy awarenes movement? So where do we discuss card ideas as i dont see who signed for what card from my android? Also can I sign up for 2/3 cards now or should I wait for evryone to get a chance? Also can we use public domain img? Photos obviously need participant permision etc btw like that athlete from your card totally have that olimpic vibe! :mrgreen:
I wasn't going to use it, so please feel free to use the vintage pic. Thanks for asking BTW. :)
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

reall wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 14:25 Yey! I'm in! :) We need some rules please!
Great! "Rules" and discussions about technical specs etc can be found HERE in the Technical Assistance and Logistics section.

You can see the whole subforum with all the different sections for this project by clicking on Star & Crown Oracle Deck at the top of the page in the header, or click HERE

I will answer all your questions in the Technical Assistance section & Guidelines section. :D
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Pen wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 09:38
reall wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 14:25 Yey! I'm in! :) We need some rules please! :mrgreen: as I have idea for "Butterfly Effect" & "Dire Predicament" (based on that vintage movie poster Pen made unless she would like to use it here!) & would also like to do something like You Are Original as tribute to our antypiracy awarenes movement? So where do we discuss card ideas as i dont see who signed for what card from my android? Also can I sign up for 2/3 cards now or should I wait for evryone to get a chance? Also can we use public domain img? Photos obviously need participant permision etc btw like that athlete from your card totally have that olimpic vibe! :mrgreen:
I wasn't going to use it, so please feel free to use the vintage pic. Thanks for asking BTW. :)
Yey! Thank You! This is my fav Oracle Ever! :mrgreen:
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Joan Marie wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 10:33
reall wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 14:25 Yey! I'm in! :) We need some rules please!
Great! "Rules" and discussions about technical specs etc can be found HERE in the Technical Assistance and Logistics section.

You can see the whole subforum with all the different sections for this project by clicking on Star & Crown Oracle Deck at the top of the page in the header, or click HERE

I will answer all your questions in the Technical Assistance section & Guidelines section. :D
Ok! Thank You! Checking it asap!
a6rax1s
Seeker

Post by a6rax1s »

I'd like to make a card for this oracle.
-a6-
OpenArted
Seeker

Post by OpenArted »

Yes! I’m in!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

a6rax1s wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 16:01 I'd like to make a card for this oracle.
-a6-
Great! Wonderful to have you back! 🦋
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

OpenArted wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 00:20 Yes! I’m in!
Thank you for joining us!! 🍀
KareenaTarot
Seeker

Post by KareenaTarot »

Hi! I would be very interested in joining your project. It sounds interesting and fun. I’m Kareena from India and newly joined the TDC group and saw your post. I haven’t created a deck as yet but I’m currently working on one since the lockdown started and I have a lot of time on my hands to explore and paint my ideas!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

KareenaTarot wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 21:13 Hi! I would be very interested in joining your project. It sounds interesting and fun. I’m Kareena from India and newly joined the TDC group and saw your post. I haven’t created a deck as yet but I’m currently working on one since the lockdown started and I have a lot of time on my hands to explore and paint my ideas!
Great! Welcome to the forum Kareena! And thanks for joining the deck project. It's wonderful to have you!
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

I'd love to sign up for a card! Do you still need people? x :D
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

jobarghest wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 16:39 I'd love to sign up for a card! Do you still need people? x :D
Absolutely! Thanks for joining us!

I'm keeping a list here of everyone who's joined the project: viewtopic.php?f=316&t=3001&p=19926#p19926

We're doing well, but we need more people. 🦋
PamelaSteele
Seeker

Post by PamelaSteele »

I think I should do this.
Driving to work today, my invisible companion suggested I create an image to express the tumultuous tsunami of emotions bombarding my existence right now.
This should do it.
Count me in, please.
Paula Millet
Seeker

Post by Paula Millet »

I'm in for the Crown and Star Deck.
I have a visual of a golden orb weaver spider in her web; she is in a moonlit garden and her web is spangled with stars.
As for meaning- working on that- something about how everything is woven together with unseen connections, The dark matter filaments of the universe (I'll have to work on making that coherent.)

Does this fit in, meaning-wise?

I will illustrate in my Photoshop collage style using public domain elements.

-Paula
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Paula Millet wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 19:41 Does this fit in, meaning-wise?
Paula, that sounds brilliant.

I am really getting excited for this deck.
Shilolewis
Seeker

Post by Shilolewis »

:D I’m all in!!!!

Return to “Sign-up and Artists List”