This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Survey: Oracle Formats

Here you will find the discussions we had to share our thoughts and ideas to develop this deck

What is your preferred format for an Oracle Deck (Use the image below)

A (Standard Tarot Size)
No votes
B
36%
C
No votes
D
18%
E Doesn't matter
9%
F Doesn't matter BUT definitely different from Standard Tarot
36%

Total votes: 11

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Survey: Oracle Formats

Post by Joan Marie »

tumblr_c6c263d746cb274a5654296f1302fbb3_8e6e6240_500.jpeg

Please share your opinion regarding the favoured format for a an Oracle deck.

Do you think an Oracle deck should be the same as a standard Tarot deck or should it be necessarily slightly different?

Please answer the poll question and leave any comments you may have.
Thanks!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Pen
Sage

Re: Survey: Oracle Formats

Post by Pen »

I voted for D, simply because it allows room for more complex images, but I'm thinking now that the best size depends on the types of images themselves - if each were simply an object (like the ones on the Earthbound Oracle) then a small card would be fine, but small cards wouldn't do for full digital or drawn/painted illustrations. Perhaps the largest cards are a little 'Hay House', but they do allow more scope for the diversity of different contributors' work.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Abigail
Seer

Post by Abigail »

I voted B. I don't like cards that are too large because I have difficulties to mix them up.
For example, I find the size of the Lo Scarabeo oracles too large (like Thelema Lenormand).
And I prefer the borderless cards (see worse with double or triple border) which allows you to "dive" into the image.

oracle-thelema-lenormand.jpg
oracle-thelema-lenormand.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

I voted for "D"

I suddenly realized the logistical problems of a "seamless" oracle deck that would work in conjunction with the Button Soup Tarot.
That was my bad.

I agree with the technical parameters cited by Pen for voting "D", she is after all, a professional artist.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

B, smaller is almost always my preference, especially if this is being used in conjunction with another deck, so it’s easy to determine which cards are coming from where.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I voted that I have no preferences, i.e. , I leave this decision to people who understand more about it! I'm absolutely not picky about card stock, format etc. If I like a deck, I usually go along with the choices the artist and publisher made. I never even noticed card stock before I started reading on the Internet that it's important to many people! Likewise, size - I don't have big hands but can shuffle anything, and it's always possible to fan the cards and draw from the fan.

I don't have the Button Soup Tarot (but I will when times go back to normal) and I think it would be wonderful to have them fit seamlessly :-)
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Papageno wrote: 02 May 2020, 19:27 I voted for "D"

I suddenly realized the logistical problems of a "seamless" oracle deck that would work in conjunction with the Button Soup Tarot.
That was my bad.

I agree with the technical parameters cited by Pen for voting "D", she is after all, a professional artist.
Well, perhaps on a good day. :D To be honest though, the more I think about it the less sure I am regarding the large size. It depends so much on the artwork, but maybe contributors will adjust complexity, detail etc. to look good on whatever size is chosen. At any rate, I'll be happy with whatever is decided upon.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Pen wrote: 04 May 2020, 17:40 Well, perhaps on a good day. :D To be honest though, the more I think about it the less sure I am regarding the large size. It depends so much on the artwork, but maybe contributors will adjust complexity, detail etc. to look good on whatever size is chosen. At any rate, I'll be happy with whatever is decided upon.
well, I'm not changing my vote, not that it really matters anyway.
I too will be satisfied with whatever JM et al choose.
It's just to get a broad consensus.

I did notice a very interesting card in the Button Soup Tarot, wherein the image (don't remember which card) is presented horizontally.

It's a unique approach and not off-putting nor distracting in the least, which in a sense demonstrates that the card dimensions aren't a paramount consideration........although, having said that, I would not like to see the dimensions any smaller than those of the Hanson-Roberts Tarot (preferably larger).
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

I was thinking between B & D but voted for F(it doesn't matter but Definitely different from standard Tarot! :D
as imo oracle should be more square/round if that make sense? :D
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I like B to be honest, but I voted for D because my favorite oracle is rather large. It depends on the art and theme, I think.

I don't know why but I'm glad that was an option 😂 Having them as different sizes just feels right.
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

ETA just remembered to add with pod it's easy to have both Big & small poker/bridge size cards so for creation I would go with large option & convert to smaller if needed? :mrgreen:

Return to “Preliminary Planning Threads”