This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

What Makes a Good Oracle Deck

Here you will find the discussions we had to share our thoughts and ideas to develop this deck
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: What Makes a Good Oracle Deck

Post by Joan Marie »

Nemia wrote: ↑02 May 2020, 12:43 What do you clever people here think about Caroline Smith's oracle decks?

The Oracle of the Radiant Sun

The Moon Oracle
I really love how bright and vibrant these are.
Especially interesting for something called "The Moon Oracle."

I can't comment on cosmic oriented decks since this (unfortunately!) is not an area I know a lot about so I would have a hard time with a card telling me the moon is in Scorpio because I don't really know what that entails. However, I am interested, fascinated, and if a guidebook could help me understand and maybe even learn, I'd be pretty thrilled about a deck like that.

But again, I'm very turned-on by these colours. They're so bold. And the Keywords on the Radiant Sun deck are really evocative and fun.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

I have the Moon Oracle, as well as Oracle of the Radiant Sun, which I mentioned earlier. I bought both for the art rather than to use, but looked through the Moon Oracle yesterday before finding a video on YouTube that involved selecting the cards that matched the moon phases and planetary conjunctions relevant on that day, which seemed the best way to use this kind of oracle. It's really worth watching.

However... this type of video reading is in the minority - most contributors seem to select a card or three and read them intuitively. It appears (to me, anyway), that astrological/cosmological oracles require concentration on the chosen deck and method, as well as much time to gain familiarity with the system, but not everyone is prepared to commit to that extent. Deep knowledge and familiarity would certainly be needed to create a tarot with a complex system, unless it was a collaboration between artist/s and creative director, as I believe are both of the oracles mentioned above.

I also have the Druid Animal and the Druid Plant Oracles, which seem more accessible, but then again I've a fairly strong background and interest in Druidry, but these don't really rely on a system as such and each could easily be used with the guidebook until one became comfortable without it.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

The Oracle of the Radiant Sun is the bomb! I love the artwork, and the system works well because it's (well, kind of) simple.

I tried really hard to work with the Moon Oracle, but it didn't work for me, although the goddesses are very cool.

Have you seen her tarot, The Elemental Tarot? It's also amazing artwork and odd content.

Just chiming in. But I guess the message is what is a confusing or simple system is pretty subjective, huh?
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

I've never really worked with astrology as such, so perhaps that's why the system seemed complicated - mind you, it was probably more than ten years ago that I read the book. I don't think I've come across her Elemental Tarot...
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Rachelcat wrote: ↑02 May 2020, 16:31 The Oracle of the Radiant Sun is the bomb! I love the artwork, and the system works well because it's (well, kind of) simple.

I tried really hard to work with the Moon Oracle, but it didn't work for me, although the goddesses are very cool.

Have you seen her tarot, The Elemental Tarot? It's also amazing artwork and odd content.

Just chiming in. But I guess the message is what is a confusing or simple system is pretty subjective, huh?
This is an update from my previous post! And I'm not offended - just pretty bowled over. Perhaps I take these things too seriously. :?

After reading that '...the system works well because it's (well, kind of) simple.', I spent yesterday afternoon re-reading the book belonging to the Oracle of the Radiant Sun, hoping I'd find it easier this time around. But... no...!!! πŸ™€ πŸ™€ πŸ™€

What with Houses (Realms of Experience), Planets (Functions or Actions), Signs (Nature of the Actions) and relating these combinations to describe people and events there seemed too much to learn regarding reading an actual horoscope to begin - unless fascination managed to overcome the process. This is in spite of the fact that I'm familiar with mythology and the basic influence of each planet on the birth signs, also the glyphs for the signs and planets, so I'd know by looking at a card that the card referred to (for example) Moon in Libra or Venus in Pisces. The keywords do help with this oracle, and the book too - unless one is an astrologer or simply uses the illustrations to read the cards intuitively.

Oh, and I found the Elemental Tarot while searching for the Radiant Sun, so I do have it after all! :D
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Sorry to cause negative thoughts! I meant the system itself is simple, not understanding what it means! One card for each planet in each sign. And there are visual cues to which planet belongs to the card. Not that astrology is easy to understand!

I'm still at the point where I kind of know what each planet means and kind of know what each sign means (not as well), but combining ???? Same with houses. I don't think I'll ever be able to call myself an astrologer, but, hey, it's something to keep me hitting the books and off the streets. :)
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Rachelcat wrote: ↑06 May 2020, 13:40 Sorry to cause negative thoughts! I meant the system itself is simple, not understanding what it means! One card for each planet in each sign. And there are visual cues to which planet belongs to the card. Not that astrology is easy to understand!

I'm still at the point where I kind of know what each planet means and kind of know what each sign means (not as well), but combining ???? Same with houses. I don't think I'll ever be able to call myself an astrologer, but, hey, it's something to keep me hitting the books and off the streets. :)
Oh, don't be sorry! I'm learning something of oracles at last - I may even try making one, given time and inspiration... :)
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
LStevens
Seer

Post by LStevens »

Hello there.

I responded before, but at that point was not able to add any files!

Here are some ideas for a possible Oracle, to accompany my recently edited Chalice Deck. These are designed to hopefully help Foster lateral thinking and getting beyond being stuck and any helpful or constructive feedback would be very welcome for taking these further.
Attachments
Traces.png
Insight.png
Carnival.png
Anvil.png
jobarghest
Seer

Post by jobarghest »

For me, and from looking at my own oracle decks, there seems to be a common theme of wellbeing, and how to maintain it. So, to an extent, how to balance and function in our everyday life. This is really a profound consideration, given that we can't successfully evaluate a situation before we are in a good position ourselves. While I see tarot as a kind of conversation with many things oracles are more personal and more directed to the self.

It's true there are fluffy oracle decks, but it's the same with books- some can be fluffy, some can contain profound ideas and ways of considering mundane situations. The difference to me lies in the difference between 'inward thinking' to resolve problems, and simply being 'dictated to' by something external and unconnected.

Oracles also give an opportunity to dive deeply into a subject as in a narrow, deep pool, without the worry about creating a traditional order and being swamped by different planes of thinking that we can get making tarot. In this way it's very like nature itself and it's no surprise there are so many oracle decks dealing with nature and natural processes.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

LStevens wrote: ↑06 May 2020, 16:36 Hello there.

I responded before, but at that point was not able to add any files!

Here are some ideas for a possible Oracle, to accompany my recently edited Chalice Deck. These are designed to hopefully help Foster lateral thinking and getting beyond being stuck and any helpful or constructive feedback would be very welcome for taking these further.
My first reply was lost as the server was down for a while, so I'll try again...

I like the cards very much - especially the first one - there are so many hidden images and the patterns are lovely. All have a very Klimt-like feel. It's difficult to read the keywords on screen, although I think I can make out 'Traces' on the first. This one is lovely and immediately reminds me of the Knight of Cups (or Swords as I can see some sword-shapes on the left) - definitely a horse with a rider, suggestions of Sun and sand, and the patterns are beautifully flowing and pleasing. So, without a keyword I'd probably have read this one as indicative of a quest or project involving emotional and intellectual investment possibly with a deadline (suggestions of a chequered flag!) that's not too immediate.

But there - my first post was better and I know it's an oracle and not a tarot but... 8-)
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
LStevens
Seer

Post by LStevens »

'From imprints left in the sand the way forward may be discerned'

Thank you so much for your response!

I love Klimt, though these are abstract and I was not sure if abstract would work, though I know the subconscious mi d, for want of a better word, may respond to olour and pattern.

That first one, Traces, is, part of a series of pieces I completed in 2005, when I had been feeling particularly i spires. The message by the way reads: 'From imprints left in the sand the way forward may be discerned.'Earlier tides leaving their mark in the sand, a reminder to get back on track, or to build on earlier insights.

Here are one or two more......
Attachments
lightningrod.png
Golden Sunset.png
Crest.png
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I just made a post in My Deck of the Week about the Oracle deck I've been using, Spirit Doodle Cards
You can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=286&t=2721#p18322

I outlined some of the main things about it that make it so versatile.
What is remarkable about it is how it never pigeon-holes you into a single kind of interpretation. By offering so many angles to look at each card from, the deck is as diverse as the person using it. There are keywords on each card, but because of the way he presents the material, you are free to see those keywords from a multitude of angles and from a variety of perspectives.

There are more details in the post that might make it clearer what I'm trying to describe.

Basically what makes this a good Oracle deck to me is that it really feels inspired divinely. There is something behind those doodles, some real kind of inspiration, some kind of communication that imbues them with a surprising depth. And that depth, probably because of their spiritual impetus, is multi-faceted, and gives the user a lot of space and freedom to interpret and yet just enough shape and order to be a good guide through the darkness.

I think a lot of people (myself included) would not imagine that just looking at these cards. And I admit without the guidebook, it would be hard to warm up to this deck. But it is so worth the effort, which does not involve learning any new systems (thankfully) just the effort to get into the spirit of these spirit doodles.

tumblr_ab908989b73d752d1136a20d4698f2ab_2a8869b3_640.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Hey y'all, it's been a while.

So I'm one of those who dismissed Oracle decks early on, but then found the Lunar Nomad Oracle, which is loosely lenormand based but does it's own thing. So I’ll be referencing that deck a lot here as LNO.
F1E04104-CBB3-443C-B615-24B68E5858D6.jpeg

Image from Benebell Wen’s review here

How I found it:

I was at a used bookshop with a giftcard and saw it and I kinda knew it was that one I'd be leaving with. It wasn't really a BAM feeling, it was subtle but persistent, resonant with the deck itself.

Specs:

The Lunar Nomad doesn't have title borders, it has a nice consistent (and aesthetically relevant?) font that doesn't distract from the art.

The guidebook feels like magic and is well written and matches the aesthetic of the deck too and adds some magic to it when needed, but isn't necessary to use. It’s beautiful and wonderful, but I don't often use it. I glanced through it and it was enough for me to know that the information in the guidebook was encoded into the cards, and the creator theirself tells you to ignore it in favor of your β€˜lunar wisdom,’ so to paraphrase. When I do use it though, it's fantastic and powerful.

There are 43 cards and it has a lenormand skeleton, but isn’t a lenormand deck. The cards are large. The art is collage style with a mystical vintage feel.

What I love about it:

LNO is the deck that taught me how divination works.

When I pulled a card, I understood in that moment that everything is meant to relate to that card. My every thought, feeling, and wondering is woven into the fabric of this card. The present is stitched in. If I draw it for the day I can return to it over and over again and it'll always be relevant, a sort of centering space or living pillar in time. Like a quilted blanket where the present moment are both the patchwork squares and the larger mosaic image too. I hope that makes sense.

To get woo for a second, it’s the most oddly synchronistic deck I have. I’ll shuffle and pull the same card, two – five times in a row and know the reason for β€˜why’ it’s happening or even be able to anticipate it. That’s another thing too, anticipating cards, or thinking β€˜it’d be funny if I got ___ card,’ and being right. It’s like it has a auric field of lunar magic. At first this REALLY weirded me out, and it still sort of wigs me out, but I’m slowly….sinking into it and accepting it.

It also taught me to keep silent....that the lunar is subtle and experiences like these have strange ways...….delicate like the surface of a lake, or like spells, or mirrors. A realm where words are like swords that pierce, or bullets that shatter. So if subtle things are happening and you wanna deepen or understand or perpetuate it, maybe keep your mouth shut. It reminds me of the idea of "twisted language.”

These are all things the deck taught me, simply by BEING in my life. It’s not my most heavily used deck, because I don’t often use Oracle. I’ve barely read the guidebook. But I learned so much from it in such a short time, and it has been a profound influence on me and my magical practice.

It could just have a cool name, be pretty and moony-moon themed with a loose lenormand skeleton, but it's not. It's really richly, deeply what it is. Inside, outside, book, box, backs, aura, shape, in content, and between it's ink too. It has a strong identity and depth of character, and holisticness in personality and design. It’s internally consistent from core to shell.

There's nothing wrong with decks that aren't this, but my personality is sometimes a bit demanding with these things and I'm really particular. I think what I want is a deck to know what it is, who it is, and be a self-contained universe, whether that's a silly and light cat deck, or a shadow-working themed deck.

So this is leading into….

What I think I look for in Oracle decks:

(Bear with me here, I’m not exactly sure myself, but here are my best meandering guesses.)

I typically hate / avoid collage tarot decks, at least those with people in them (Tyldwick is a masterpiece), but I'm finding I'm really drawn to them in Oracle decks and even find them desirable. I’ve heard this exact sentiment expressed before. I think it's because of how the imagination / unconscious seems to work. Our psyches really are collages of experience, place, emotions, people, and sensations. I think it’s easier to use creative association with Oracle as a medium where there’s a blurred or layered variety of images rather than clear-cut lines. It's like dreams. Layers of symbolism, meaning, vibes, feelings, intermingling. Different interconnected and interwoven images to connect to with a common relevance (generally speaking, the title of the card).

One of the gifts of Oracle decks I'm finding is reminiscent of the High Priestess. It can't be like the Moon where you're just thrown into some abstract art without reference or explanation, but if you come in heavily like the Emperor the water dries up. The structure is there for a frame of reference, to help define the scope, to help you not get lost in the images. The structure oughta be like banks to a river, vs the uncontainable ocean, or complex city plumbing. I think once it gets too left-brained, we're leaving the natural landscape of the imagination and headed towards the villages of affirmation / guidance / hug decks, or cartomancy metropolises like tarot.

The difference may be something like looking through a carefully created telescope vs just gazing at the night sky. Oracle to me is being able to deeply involve yourself and explore viscerally, not be guided or have certain aspects of your psyche highlighted and reflected back to you. It’s more interactive than tarot I think, it’s more living. Where tarot may be more naturally oriented to be a mirror, I think Oracle is like a pool of water you plunge your hand into. I’m not saying tarot can’t do that, but there’s more of a maze, with doors, and conditions to meet. It’s a bit more initiatory and the landscape is laid out for you to navigate and decorate.

So in my perspective I think a good Oracle deck has a more challenging balancing job and precarious line to straddle. It needs to be flexible, accessible to everyone using them (controlling for art preferences), and involving. It’s got to work. It’s gotta be able to dialogue and play with your imagination, tell you something new/old about it. A dream-like variable, visual, visceral quality in the images is helpful, I think. It’s gotta be fluid and behave like water in that way.

--

Size and Number of Cards:

There aren't that many cards (43) in the LNO but somehow it still feels like a complete system. The Vessel, one of the other decks I’ve gotten some use out of, has 35, and doesn’t feel complete to me. I often have this problem with lenormand and oracle decks feeling incomplete to me, but I don’t think it has to do with the number of cards itself.

I’m not completely sure myself why it is though. With lenormand I can guess it’s because it comes from playing cards, so I just end up wanting the whole playing card deck and feel somewhat cheated. Otherwise, perhaps it’s a lack of scope? Goddess decks often feel random to me. I wonder about the criteria for goddesses chosen. And why did they stop at 35? Why not 34 or 36? Time constraints? Publishing limitations? Intuition?

I don’t want to feel like I could just keep flipping cards….forever…..pulling them out of the air even, like it doesn’t matter, or like I could just keep cycling through the same deck endlessly. I don’t think it’s necessarily about a deck being numbered either. I think it’s about design and scope.

Vessel oracle as a personal case study:
59AE3FE6-D4CE-4368-9944-C0F4B934D066.jpeg

I have a guess or an idea for why at least with the Vessel oracle, which I do like and I do feel that it is capable of giving lovely and gentle readings. I’m kinda bullshitting here and I haven’t used the deck in a little while, so take the following with a grain of salt. It seems to be encapsulating a time period in the life of the artist and that need for gentleness and tenderness is what has been translated into the cards, rather than the oracle deck’s name (and even box design) literally being the theme. So, to me, it feels incomplete and open-ended. There isn’t a broad or full range of emotions. The large cursive keywords as far as I’m concerned are a part of the art, and while their organic font style keeps things soft and flow-y, they do drastically limit the range of meanings for a card (unless you’re able to ignore them. But like I said, I consider the text to be part of the art, and I do like the art.)

However, I think if you’re going through a difficult time, similar to what I think I read the artist was going through, then the compassion of the Vessel oracle while shine through and even the keywords will be oddly resonant and healing. So perhaps it functions as a sort of a time capsule of loving-kindness for people going through grief or hard-times. Otherwise, it might always be a stretch….

Essentially, it’s not universally applicable in terms of situation, and it’s ability to function depends on your being able to relate to a person and their heart at a particular point in their life stream. I think that’s beautiful, and while these emotions are universally experienced, it isn’t…..hmm...you’re not always able to use it. It’s not a swiss army knife. It’s more like a friend.

This makes me feel like this isn’t so much an oracle deck than it is a guidance / affirmation / hug deck. I’m kind of inclined to call these β€œlove decks.”

--

TL;DR and then some (sorry)

I think, for me, a good Oracle deck, on top of art I like, has the following qualities:

1. Font is part of images and / or easy to ignore. (Or non existent if possible, but not sure how that would work with the following....unless it wasn’t necessary or part of the vision of the deck)
2. Numbered or abc order in book, or easily referenceable book. The Morgan tarot is a bit of a nightmare there.
3. Character design of deck has depth and / or understands itself. The deck has a β€˜personality.’
4. Juju, magic, woo. Something about it is touched or has that feeling. Otherwise I could just use tarot, honestly. I think this comes as a natural consequence of #3 though.
5. Enough structure to not get lost, but no studying required, though supplemental reading is available and insightful.
6. The deck can stand alone. Ready to use out of the box if I wanted to, maybe with a minor introduction.
7. Divination aptitude - whether that's future telling or just involves your imagination and unconscious in a really visceral way. Collage decks make this super easy, since it layers images in a dream-like way that makes associative thinking easy and has the variety you need to let your attention float and come up with connections.
8. Feels complete. Sometimes lenormand decks feel incomplete to me, or decks where the number of cards is just random. There could've been more or less. It's gotta feel open sure, but like it's whole unto itself. Like a book. The cards themselves are open, like portals, but the deck as a whole oughtn’t feel so open-ended I think.

All this said, I don't use Oracle decks that much and I am mainly basing this on my adoration of the LNO and frustrations with what I'm calling love decks and (petit) lenormand. Though writing this has also helped me understand my frustrations and see decks as they are rather than what I want them to be. I’m feeling more open to them now that I have some more clarity on them as a catch-all category.

Oracle decks I’ve been eyeing:

One of the decks I've been eyeing is the Inner Compass Oracle.
C6CA272D-D58A-4A78-8523-D8C082960C8E.jpeg

It has a similar vibe to the Lunar Nomad in art style, though I am worried about the scope problem I mentioned, I do think it would dialogue well with my imagination. I looked at a couple images online and play-tested asking questions (it's rarely ever the same as in person, but it does give a very faint hint sometimes) and got some very sensory answers (cherry-coke, summer time shriek-y tag as a kid at the beach (I don't even have this as a memory I think), etc).

Another is the Threadbound oracle, which very clearly has a scope. It's tied to a graphic novel series and is an oracle deck about books and Stories. That makes me very curious about how it would read. The main reason is the theme, characters, and how absolutely gorgeous it is. I’d be getting the graphic novel too for sure. I worry it’d be limiting or not relevant, but it might be perfectly suited to my style so who knows. It is exciting though. I had the Alice tarot by Baba on my wishlist for a short while for the literary backbone....
87B3B70D-9779-45FD-8363-583827523DE7.jpeg

woof that was long, hahaha. I'll retroactively link and / or add photos of the decks I think. I'll edit here once I do. (edit: βœ… )
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Great post, AstralPasta. The Lunar Nomad Oracle is very appealing and your description of it poetical! It reminds me of the original edition of Les Vieux Jours Lenormand, now published in a new edition from Gamecrafter, but I think I prefer my old hand made (by the creator) deck in its little tin.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Thanks! It ended up being more of a thing than I expected haha πŸ˜… I need to learn about controlling scope myself.

It is similar! Wow, even the font is the same (in the original)! I took a gander and luckily I prefer the recent edition, haha (also lucky you for having that, handmade is so special). Otherwise this might've turned into a goose chase. It's going near the top of my oracle wishlist now πŸ’ž, thanks for sharing Pen.
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Just to let you all know, you dear and clever people, that I decided to give more attention to oracles than I did before - and today, the Oracle of the Radiant Sun arrived at my house! I like it very much although I'm not sure I'll use it like other oracles, i.e., by drawing cards from it. I think I'll use it to explore points in time - as building blocks for horoscopes of important moments, and as means to get a better understanding of what "Mercury in Aries" might actually MEAN.

I didn't have time yet to study the book, I'm sure it will add so much more :-)
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Nemia wrote: ↑05 Jul 2020, 18:40 Just to let you all know, you dear and clever people, that I decided to give more attention to oracles than I did before - and today, the Oracle of the Radiant Sun arrived at my house! I like it very much although I'm not sure I'll use it like other oracles, i.e., by drawing cards from it. I think I'll use it to explore points in time - as building blocks for horoscopes of important moments, and as means to get a better understanding of what "Mercury in Aries" might actually MEAN.

I didn't have time yet to study the book, I'm sure it will add so much more :-)
Oracle of the Radiant Sun is quite lovely Nemia, although I'm really surprised you chose that over her Moon Oracle, with the carefully depicted lunar cycles, etc.

Here is an interesting deck you might find appealing, or not.

Cosmos Tarot and Oracle Deck 2nd. ed.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

You know me well :-) I will buy the Moon Oracle, too, but since I only lately bought the Moonology deck and book and didn't study it yet, I didn't want to confuse myself. That's the only reason I decided to start with the Radiant Sun.

The Cosmos Tarot and Oracle deck is one of my favourites. Its planet cards figure daily on my tarot calendar, I absolutely LOVE it.

The Moonology cards are also on my tarot calendar, for the moon phases.

Hm, it seems these kind of oracles work for me as intensifier for the present moment. Let's see whether I can use them as proper oracles!

ETA: I added a picture of the lower part of my tarot calendar - moon phase (Moonology) - decan ruler (Tabula Mundi) - day of the week (Cosmos). I change them all the time.

img_20200420_160817.543.jpg
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Nemia wrote: ↑06 Jul 2020, 05:42You know me well :-)
Well, I think I at least have a fairly good sense of your taste in tarot and oracles.

I came upon that deck by accident and I immediately thought of you.
Nemia wrote: ↑06 Jul 2020, 05:42 The Cosmos Tarot and Oracle deck is one of my favourites. Its planet cards figure daily on my tarot calendar, I absolutely LOVE it.
that's very funny, :lol: I should have looked at your profile to realize you already owned this deck.

The approach to the structuring this deck is very unique and worthy of in-depth study, and it's also a mass market collaborative deck, which is fairly uncommon, but the collaborative element and the varying artistic styles makes it that much more intriguing.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Return to β€œPreliminary Planning Threads”