This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A CoT Group Oracle Deck: Brainstorm

Here you will find the discussions we had to share our thoughts and ideas to develop this deck
Pen
Sage

Re: A CoT Group Oracle Deck: Brainstorm

Post by Pen »

reall wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:22 Ok, if no one thinks Divine Oracle is Good idea!:)
Let's Get Back to Origin: Car Oracle!;)
Inspired by ebay listing statements :"we have cats, but cats don't read cards!" Totally sound like lol they Could!:D

So What Would your cat tell you if it would know/be allowed to read your cards & what would these reading cards advices & tips be?;)
Car Oracle must be a typo, so it's about cats. I haven't one as I'm more of a dog person, but I'd be happy with more or less whatever's decided (as long as it's not about the virus). I do like the idea of cats for reasons mentioned in an earlier post, and it's a strong enough theme to hold it all together. Unfortunately I'm somewhat disabled re. brainstorming - mine works best by slowly and almost subconsciously arranging and filtering internal and incoming ideas until something takes shape and gets me going, although I tend not to have the whole plan worked out before making a start. But I'm having trouble concentrating on oracles right now - I found a few and they're sitting on the kitchen table, I pick one up, put it down and that's about it until the following day when the same thing happens. Maybe when I've finished the major part of the current project things will improve, in the meantime I'll percolate a bit.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Suggested title:

The Helix Oracle.....as in DNA

that encompases everything Earth related including electronics, even electronic devices and components can be seen as possessing or embodying the concept of a double helix.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Pen wrote: 21 May 2020, 18:34
reall wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:22 Ok, if no one thinks Divine Oracle is Good idea!:)
Let's Get Back to Origin: Car Oracle!;)
Inspired by ebay listing statements :"we have cats, but cats don't read cards!" Totally sound like lol they Could!:D

So What Would your cat tell you if it would know/be allowed to read your cards & what would these reading cards advices & tips be?;)
Car Oracle must be a typo, so it's about cats. I haven't one as I'm more of a dog person, but I'd be happy with more or less whatever's decided (as long as it's not about the virus). I do like the idea of cats for reasons mentioned in an earlier post, and it's a strong enough theme to hold it all together. Unfortunately I'm somewhat disabled re. brainstorming - mine works best by slowly and almost subconsciously arranging and filtering internal and incoming ideas until something takes shape and gets me going, although I tend not to have the whole plan worked out before making a start. But I'm having trouble concentrating on oracles right now - I found a few and they're sitting on the kitchen table, I pick one up, put it down and that's about it until the following day when the same thing happens. Maybe when I've finished the major part of the current project things will improve, in the meantime I'll percolate a bit.
*fixed, yes it was typo thank you for noticing & support! agree it takes time for good ideas to mature so just post when ready everyone! :D
it may also be all retrogrades planetes! (just checked my Methaphysician Daily planner by Awesome B Wen & can you believe we are almost half way thru 2020? :mrgreen: & was bit wtf noticing it was *better half of the year as planetes now go retrograde for almost until nex year! facepalm lol
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Papageno wrote: 21 May 2020, 19:27 Suggested title:

that encompases everything Earth related including electronics, even electronic devices and components can be seen as possessing or embodying the concept of a double helix.
Woah! I like that name & DNA & all electronic (Earth & Alien! :mrgreen: ) also this fit that Japanese idea even things have spirit/ghost so it would be tehnotech Oracle? :D I like how it sounds!^^ lol
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Neat. After I'd shut down the PC last night The Cat Soup Oracle, Button Cat Oracle and Cat Buttons Oracle popped into my head, but maybe not... 8-)
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Felix Helix! Felix is happy and a cat name :-)

I love helix shapes, who doesn't, and nautilus, too. I wish I was clever enough to connect the Golden Ratio to an oracle.

What a wonderful discussion to have on a New Moon. Something new is going to come up!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Nemia wrote: 22 May 2020, 14:18 Felix Helix! Felix is happy and a cat name :-)

I love helix shapes, who doesn't, and nautilus, too. I wish I was clever enough to connect the Golden Ratio to an oracle.

What a wonderful discussion to have on a New Moon. Something new is going to come up!
I just looked and saw that I started this discussion on April 23rd which was also the new moon!

I am also enjoying this conversation immensely and I love all the wonderful things that are bubbling up.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Nemia wrote: 22 May 2020, 14:18 Felix Helix! Felix is happy and a cat name :-)

I like Felix Helix Cat name!^^ :D also *discovered I ching recently & looking for good deck (as I'm clutz & my sticks & coins would totally roll off me!x,x facepalm) & there is this great book available online: http://www.pantherwebworks.com/i_ching/index.html#hints
take a look & let me know what you think of this system as base?:)
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

A mouse is an electronic device, so Cat and Mouse Oracle seems logical if the two ideas were partially combined. Too ordinary even with the pun?

We could have a disclaimer saying " No mice were harmed during the creation of this oracle."

I still quite like the Button Soup connection to Cat Soup Oracle (which could also have a disclaimer :)).
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Hopping into the brainstorming. My idea is a bit left-field from the thread but I'm just throwing it out there so long as we're still doing idea generation and not narrowing things down. This'll probably also tie into my pending reply in the "What makes a good oracle deck" thread so I'll link it here once I do that. (✅)

(The quoted is from Stronglove's thread showcasing examples of indie oracle decks in the main COT oracle sub-forum. I didn't want to derail it so I came here, it seemed the more appropriate place)
stronglove wrote: 02 May 2020, 15:34
Papageno wrote: 01 May 2020, 18:36
Abigail wrote: 01 May 2020, 15:25 For example, for the butterfly, the author puts the keyword "travel".
For me, the meaning of the butterfly is "transformation". So I would simply see more as the keyword "butterfly" on the card and the author's interpretation in a LWB (or here on a card).
[...] All image interpretations are very subjective according to each person.

Cultural and spiritual beliefs are important considerations.

For instance, the Owl.[...]
wow, this is so interesting! i think you are raising a very important issue. and a complex one as well, because as an artist, i create my images with at least a keyword in mind, and i think, if we want to create a ‘coherent’/ cohesive oracle deck we probably need a kind of keyword ‘system’ or theme to get us started. but i think it would be a really good idea to let the printed images speak for themselves, by giving the cards numbers and providing a kind of companion book where the artist can explain the keyword and underlying ideas that inspired the creation of the image.
This made me think of how it could be interesting to do it as a number-themed thing. Basically the number could help you find meanings in the book, but it'd be somehow also be numerologically themed. It could be somewhat more universal.

Then again, number meanings can also have different connotations depending on culture. Also there wouldn't be that many cards then. Unless we did multiple meanings (through images / vibes).

So we could have, idk, 3-5 cards for each number. The prompts given for each card in 1 could be like

* One as Loner/ Isolation
* One as Iconoclast / Unique
* One as Trailblazer / Independent / Leader
* One as Cosmic Unity
* One as ....idk something else. alternative meaning from another culture on the number? actual math-y number?? history of number aesthetically expressed?? like the pre-curser to arabic numerals?? idk. lol.

Not something we hold too firmly to, just a jumping off point for our own personal imaginations to explore and express.

Maybe we could have a general idea, like Negative One, Positive One, Cosmic / Spiritual One, Personality One, something else. That way people wouldn't overlap with each other tooo much. Or it could be like a random modge-hodge-podge of 5 people expressing their ideas of a number and it's just good fun random-ness.

Then also the number could be woven into the actual card without it being a title or obtrusive. That could be challenging depending on the person's art medium though, now that I think about it. And I'm not sure how we'd find it in the guidebook (go to chapter for One, look at the 5 descriptions of One....maybe it'd be obvious depending on what themes we choose, or it could be by border color, but......).

I think I'm imagining something like the Inner Compass oracle (it's a deck I've wanted for a while) and the Lunar Nomad oracle just a bit. Something cute and fun and collage-esque as a vibe. Not literally collage, but multi-artist decks are pretty inherently collage-y.

I feel like working that theme should be emphasized, I think. What's inherently collage-y? Something we all experience. Numbers, emotions, food, sOCIETY, the sky - you know? What makes SENSE to see expressed in a collage-y way?? Where there are multiple different perspectives of universal themes, things, and ideas, maybe even throughout time. It doesn't have to be so literal as my idea, but something so it's consistent from core outwards. 🔥🔥🔥 haha, alright thanks for coming to my tedtalk
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

@Pen Tom & Jerry Oracle it is unless we came up with better idea! & of course include cats in disclaimer! :mrgreen:

@astralpasta i see your point & agree image & non obtrusive number may be best unless we can come up with concept for 1keywords (also non obtrusive) for each card meaning? & imo we should have concept/base idea for each card before creation start so we can keep deck theme coherent? & Buterfly is transformation for me as well as most people same as owl is wisdom? so i think we can agree on that! :|

also we can have little glyph or symbol for each card, like sigil? these are popular & anyone could interpret as wish! :mrgreen:
(ie triangle, square, circle, rune lines, or even mini silhouette/icon of flower butterfly snowflake etc as long as we don't overlap in design & keep each distinctive & small enough these can serve for easy reference?) :D

also i had odd dream few nights ago like someone was showing me those pamphlets you see every day printed by supermarkets with their best offer for week only this one was Super Large format like A2 or something opens like a window into Beautiful panoramic images & serious voice asking me what is your dream life location? is it city (*fancy city panorama) or by water (page flip another beautiful spot by water all no house just location!) is it nature (page flip forest panorama)"or is it the view (page flip mountains!:) & i was like Ooo! definitely view! & then voice say"what you need to be Happy is to accept your mortality first (*page flips this time as normal book to show to 2 large pic both with black background & something like splash paintings/collage in center representing meaning im presented with *transience & it's opposite *eternity) like this life is transient but eternal in same time & once we realize that we can live fully & true to ourselfs? then it flips again & i'm presented with anoher pair of images & voice goes explaining but what stick with me most is how it started & maybe we can call it Dreams & Happiness Oracles?:) like if for personal development & helping you discover what you need to be happy in this life? just an idea,,, to help brainstorm & give different perspective to oracle we are creating! :mrgreen:
ianbryanttarot
Seer

Post by ianbryanttarot »

Forgive me if I overlooked it, but has a running draft been made yet of potential card names and themes? I assumed initially that would be drafted out based upon the cards we are working on for consideration, but it would also be a good thing to try to draft out based on an initial framework to help identify areas of deficiency (themes that would be needed to help make the deck "work" depending on the types of questions asked of it).

The cards I'm working on are (working names only):

1. Mortality / Death
2. Ecstasy / Ascension

Looking through many of the oracle decks out there, on the one hand they are usually quite different from each other, and on the other some have similarities but not as much as tarot decks tend to have. I chose the cards I did based on a variety of symbolism related to stars and crowns, often pointing to the ethereal and ideas of immortality and power.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

ianbryanttarot wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 17:22 Forgive me if I overlooked it, but has a running draft been made yet of potential card names and themes?
This is taken care of, I'm hoping, with the Guidebook form.

There is a thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=314&t=2988

It is a google form that the artists submit the details of their work for the guidebook. Once you have submitted a form (one for each card you submit) you will then have access to see all the forms submitted in order to see what everyone is working on.

That's the system at the moment. It could probably be improved on and communicated better.

I will work on that, but for now it would be great if all the artists could go and just start their form(s) so that we can all get used to seeing how it works. I think at the moment there are just 3 or 4 forms started.

It will also help me if people can verify it is in fact allowing you access to edit your own form and see the forms others have submitted.

I will try to get it more sorted out.

All that said, I sort of doubt there will be much of an issue with crossover of concepts etc. although several people have raised the question, so maybe I am wrong.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
ianbryanttarot
Seer

Post by ianbryanttarot »

I might have made the assumption I should not start the form until I was done with the art. After re-reading I see I missed a page or two in that thread :) I'm ready to go now. Appreciate it!

Return to “Preliminary Planning Threads”