This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A new cartomancy deck with a twist

Share a little taste with us of your work in progress. Give us a peek at what's coming down the road soon so we can keep an eye out for it.
qndynes
Sage

A new cartomancy deck with a twist

Post by qndynes »

I'm currently working on creating a Cyprian-ic deck of cards, (Saint Cyprian of Antioch). These past couple of months I've spent them drawing and drawing and drawing, spending most of my free time hunched over a piece of paper, with a pencil on hand, scribbling away, practicing and decoding each of the cards for the deck I envision, and hope to bring to life this year. It's been all consuming.

For context, I'm synthesizing the information I have in my own personal library based primarily on the cartomancy sections found in José Leitão's research and publications on Cyprian literature. Not surprisingly, what I've found is that some of the card meanings/images intersect with the traditional Lenormand deck, yet the difference between these two lines/approaches/traditions lies in where one designates the more "negative" suits. In Cyprianic cartomancy these "negative" cards are more or less spread across the suits. In total, the deck I'm creating will consist of 40 cards, this again is anchored on Cyprian cartomancy as the the layouts and processes described through Leitão's research typically describe the use of a pack of 40 cards, the suits ranging from 1-7, and often 3 court cards for each suit. (the amount found in Iberian baraja decks).

As for the art of the deck itself, I've narrowed down the tools and general aesthetic for the deck as follows: it will be created primarily in dip pen and ink, with the occasional use of brush strokes, in a monochromatic color scheme.

There will be an undercurrent of seafaring notes throughout the deck, this is a personal choice that I feel aligns with my experience of the Saint's literature in Iberia. Below are the sketches so far:

20210331_162956_3.jpg

I added color because I wanted to see/experiment with a light touch of color for the deck but realized midway that I want the drawings to remain in pen and ink monochrome color, with light ink washes for variety.

As for the court cards, the original source of my inspiration for this deck does not overtly include ladies.

Yet, if you look closely at the standing "pages" you can see in a way how these cards can stand for ladies. For my deck I will be making the court cards as follows: Person on horse (I am partial to keeping the horse), woman and man. I doubt they will be wearing crowns to be honest.

20210331_162956_3.jpg

As for the aces, they will be special, I have the pencil sketch done but have yet to sketch the pen and ink version. The aces will each have an animal.

I hope to have the deck compete by this year. At the moment this is a project I've kept mostly quiet, sharing the progress mostly in my newsletter. Now that I feel I am halfway through completion of the deck, I wanted to share here.

I hope you like it or at least are intrigued by what I'm attempting to bring forth through this creation. :D
Attachments
20210331_163223_2(1).jpg
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
TheLoracular
Sage

Re: A new cartomancy deck with a twist

Post by TheLoracular »

Those cards are lovely and I love the idea behind this deck. I'm not as familiar with Cyprian and José Leitão as I feel like someone like me should be. So consider me completely intrigued and excited about this project :)
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

TheLoracular wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 21:49 Those cards are lovely and I love the idea behind this deck. I'm not as familiar with Cyprian and José Leitão as I feel like someone like me should be. So consider me completely intrigued and excited about this project :)
Oh thank you. I will definitely keep you updated here. I hope to be sharing more as I go along. Currently, I'm in the final stages of completing the final sketches and inking all the art. Once that is done, I just have to format the cards and then I would move into the stage of, how am I going to make this deck tangibly happen for publication.

St. Cyprian and his "lore" is a wonderful kaleidoscope of magic, devilry, redemption and pursuit. I count myself a devotee of this good saint and his partner St. Justina. Saints of desperate cases, that shine a light even in the darkest darkness. Jose Leitao has done wonderful work/research unearthing Cyprian books in Iberia and bringing them to light, I highly recommend checking his writings. He has essays on academia.org, and has published several books through Hadean Press and now Avalonia.
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

qndynes wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:14 Oh thank you. I will definitely keep you updated here. I hope to be sharing more as I go along. Currently, I'm in the final stages of completing the final sketches and inking all the art. Once that is done, I just have to format the cards and then I would move into the stage of, how am I going to make this deck tangibly happen for publication.

St. Cyprian and his "lore" is a wonderful kaleidoscope of magic, devilry, redemption and pursuit. I count myself a devotee of this good saint and his partner St. Justina. Saints of desperate cases, that shine a light even in the darkest darkness. Jose Leitao has done wonderful work/research unearthing Cyprian books in Iberia and bringing them to light, I highly recommend checking his writings. He has essays on academia.org, and has published several books through Hadean Press and now Avalonia.
There are some really viable options for getting decks published these days and definitely enough people on this forum who have done it to get you some practical helpful advice. I'm not one there re: publishing my own deck but I support enough kickstarters and other indie tarot artists/authors to know that based on what you've put up, its definitely within your grasp.

And I will definitely get Leitao on my reading list. I've been doing a little "back to the fundamentals" reading of some Christian gnostics/cabalists in the past two months after delving deep into Eliphas Levi for my podcast and feel drawn to both what you have to say about St. Cyprian/Justina and what I saw with just a quick google yesterday :)
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

I'm going to share a couple pertinent or related links here regarding to Leitao's work on St. Cyprian, he does have a small youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCjH0u ... PmPhtcGgVA; his academia page https://coimbra.academia.edu/Jos%C3%A9VieiraLeit%C3%A3o; and three of his major tomes regarding his Cyprianic research can be found here https://www.hadeanpress.com/shop.

Return to “Sneak Peeks & Works in Progress”