This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Total noob here

Share a little taste with us of your work in progress. Give us a peek at what's coming down the road soon so we can keep an eye out for it.
Maschina
Seeker

Total noob here

Post by Maschina »

Hi Everyone,

I am Andi. I never had any experience using the tarot. The reason why I want to get into the topic is, that I am thinking about creating a deck for a very long time now. So my plan is to start from the beginning to know what I am doing.

Around eight years ago I came up with a printing technique which allows me to modify Rorschach patterns. In the last days I made some new breakthroughs with the process and I think it is time to show it to the world. I think the psychological aspect of the Rorschach test and the possibilities to interpret the images for yourself are a perfect match to make a tarot deck. So there is only one more hurdle to take, which is my complete ignorance about this subject.

So far I have watched some youtube videos and am thinking about purchasing a book to get into the matter. A friend of mine recommended Oswald Wirth to me but I am not sure if this will be too complicated for a complete beginner. Maybe some of you have recommendations for me.

I have come up with some ideas, which I would like to discuss. I don't know, if this is the right place in this forum and would appreciate if somebody would show me where to put the design questions.

If you want to take part in the design process in the very first stages of this deck I would love to read any inputs you could have. So far there is only my will to do this. It doesnt even have a name yet.

I hope it is okay to attach a picture of my current work so you can get a glimpse of what I am up to. There aren't even proper scans yet as the prints need to dry but I am so excited how they turned out and I want to get some feedback of people which are into the topic. If you think this will be a waste of time, please be honest and let me know that. I am a graphic designer and used to rejection of my work :) Please note that these are no actual tarot card designs, just a sample of how i intend them to look like.
Attachments
IMG_4744.JPG
_R_
Sybil

Re: Total noob here

Post by _R_ »

Essentially, the criteria which determine whether a deck is a Tarot deck or something else are largely structural: a Tarot pack contains 78 cards divided into five suits, including one suit of 22 trumps. The imagery and sequence of the cards has varied a little in history, but is now more or less fixed to a couple of main patterns: the Ride-Waite-Smith sequence, and the earlier French sequence. Practically everything else you'll see is either based on or adapted from those two patterns.

Any other format will likely be classified as an "oracle deck" or something along those lines; there are also non-Tarot decks such as the Zener cards, developed for the purpose of testing ESP and so on.

As an artist, what you decide to put on the cards is up to you. So, the possibilities are almost endless. Stylistically, your artwork reminds me a little of the Tarot deck produced by the Surrealist artist Maurice Baskine, images of which you can find online.

I will add that, rather than beginning with any one of the more or less derivative, more or less repetitive, and more or less uninspired popular or occultist works on tarot, that you take a look at a serious but thorough overview of the iconography of the cards instead, and Robert O'Neill's book "Tarot Symbolism" is a great place to start, or failing that, his collection of essays, which are available here online: https://www.tarot.com/tarot/robert-onei ... -symbolism
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

This is a great idea. I would caution against using the term "Rorschach" if you go to publish. (You probably already know this.) It's copyrighted.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Maschina wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 00:35 I hope it is okay to attach a picture of my current work so you can get a glimpse of what I am up to.
Hi Andi, Not only is it okay, it is positively encouraged around here to share your work.

I did move your post to the "Sneak Peeks & Works in Progress" section of the forum.

Welcome and and thank you for sharing your art with us.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

Hi Andi!

This sounds like a fun project. People here are friendly and don't be afraid to ask questions. Since your deck isn't going to use traditional tarot images, I don't think you need to go into researching classical symbolism or reading authors like Wirth. Asking questions here will probably go a long way.

I don't have my own copy of the Hidden Waters tarot but I know it is based on the same idea and might be helpful to look at. Their website is here.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I think that _R_'s comment is on the money and, additionally, think that your art is probably more well suited to an oracle or other kind of specialty deck. However, if you do want to learn some basics of tarot reading, here is a recent thread on beginner's books. I'm not sure Wirth would be the way to go.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2914
I believe in Crystal Light.
Maschina
Seeker

Post by Maschina »

Thank you so much everyone for your kind welcome and your great inputs and encouragement! I currently have opened all your suggested links and will dive into the matter asap. There are so many fascinating things that you have pointed out to me, i think i will have to spend the next hours reading. Exactly what I was looking for :D
Maschina
Seeker

Post by Maschina »

Whew, I have spent the last hours surfing the Oracle-wave and will do so for quite some time I think.

Special thanks for pointing out that there were alternatives. This has raised a lot of new questions which I am starting to note down and for some of them I will definitely ask for your help. Thank you so much for your inputs! You will see more from me soon.
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

Thank you for your email. I responded just now. I was in error, thankfully: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach ... and_ethics
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I'm interested in your printing technique! Your cards remind me of Navajo sand paintings and young Jackson Pollock. Do you work on glass?

Why do you need the tarot structure? It seems your images come from within - and I agree with those who said I'd go for an oracle. Any structure you wish, no need for esoteric lore - and not derivative. I really like the look of your art.
Maschina
Seeker

Post by Maschina »

Nemia wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 05:46 I'm interested in your printing technique! Your cards remind me of Navajo sand paintings and young Jackson Pollock. Do you work on glass?

Why do you need the tarot structure? It seems your images come from within - and I agree with those who said I'd go for an oracle. Any structure you wish, no need for esoteric lore - and not derivative. I really like the look of your art.
Thank you for your encouraging words!

The technique is a derivate of the decalcomania, a technique mainly used by the surrealists (e.g. Max Ernst). I have added some tweaks to it as I use it for a long time now, mainly to print t-shirts. I call it "brazygraphy" (because the shirt brand is called "Barön Brazy"). In the last year I got this process a little further which enables me to print on paper now.

I had a moderately successful kickstarter for a poker deck last year and I thought to me then, I would love to make another Kickstarter with the brazygraphy when i have improved the process enough. Lets see if I get this far.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Ah great. Max Ernst is one of my all time favourite artists, and I know decalomania of course. Wonderful! Keep us informed here please about the progress of your cards.
Maschina
Seeker

Post by Maschina »

Nemia wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 19:31 Ah great. Max Ernst is one of my all time favourite artists, and I know decalomania of course. Wonderful! Keep us informed here please about the progress of your cards.
Thanks for your Feedback! This forum is very motivating! :D
I will definitely keep you updated here.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

just to say awesome art! & imo it can totally work as tarot as long as you have 78cards with corresponding tarot titles!:)

also hope my guide here can help your creation process: http://creativenlight.blogspot.com/2020 ... -know.html

Return to “Sneak Peeks & Works in Progress”