This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

New from Fig Tree: Old Familiar Playing Cards

Share a little taste with us of your work in progress. Give us a peek at what's coming down the road soon so we can keep an eye out for it.
Pen
Sage

New from Fig Tree: Old Familiar Playing Cards

Post by Pen »

My new deck, Old Familiar Playing Cards is now available from MPC.

All cards have been designed from scratch, including the pips.

Old Familiar Playing Cards were inspired by old drawings, prints and paintings in which the subjects are depicted with their pets, who are imagined here as familiars of the royal characters of the four suits. The court cards have two slightly different images for each card designed to intrigue when reversed, making the cards especially suitable for use in cartomancy, as reversals will suggest different shades of meaning.

Creatures on the four aces were chosen to represent Earth, Air, Fire and Water and the drawings were created in coloured pencil by yours truly - I hope you like them!

P.S. clicking on the images opens a new window with a larger image and good resolution.

OF1.jpg

OF3.jpg

OF2.jpg

Click here for the above images plus a single sheet showing all aces, courts and tens at Imgur.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Nemia
Sage

Re: New from Fig Tree: Old Familiar Playing Cards

Post by Nemia »

Oh, how beautiful. The Joker reminds me of Leon Bakst's costume designs for the Ballets de Russe. I feel incredibly honoured to know you, even if it's "only" on a forum! What a magical idea. And you have the most wonderful light touch with water colour.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I could not agree more with what Nemia said. Especially about the way you use watercolour.

I just adore the idea behind this. It's so inspired, so original.
Really wonderful Pen.

I just ordered it. I can't wait to see the other cards!

BTW- I did not know that a black velvet bag was an option with MPC. That's a nice alternative to the printed tuck box.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Nemia, Joan Marie, thank you both for making my day! :heart:

Nemia, I love Leon Bakst's costume designs - they were indeed the inspiration for the Joker. :)

Joan Marie, the little bag is really rather nice - they sent me two - perhaps because I ordered a custom box with the first proof, then had to have a second proof to correct a couple of things.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

I've uploaded an Animoto unboxing video for Old Familiar to the video section - JM, the link seems to embed but please remove if videos should be kept to the video section.

All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Pen
Sage

Pick a rabbit hole...

Post by Pen »

The Queen of Spades is Today's Card! The message says...

From Joan Marie -
Pick a rabbit hole and jump down it today.

So many interesting topics and so much information at your fingertips.

Search a broad topic and then find a narrower one until you get led down a path.

Take notes!

(I'm going for the ouroboros. I may just end up at the beginning!)
The ouroboros is a fascinating creature to follow through the labyrinth! But just in case anyone's wondering about the inspiration for the Queen of Spades, check out Luisa Cassati - (an equally fascinating creature...) :D
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC

Return to “Sneak Peeks & Works in Progress”