This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Greenwood Tarot

Share a little taste with us of your work in progress. Give us a peek at what's coming down the road soon so we can keep an eye out for it.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

The Greenwood Tarot

Post by Joan Marie »

I just got a very excited message about the re-printing of The Greenwood Tarot.

You can find out a little more about it here.

To be honest, it isn't a deck I am familiar with but I think there is a fair amount of excitement around this re-printing.

If you are familiar with this deck, maybe you could fill us in here a bit about what is so special about it?
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Nemia
Sage

Re: The Greenwood Tarot

Post by Nemia »

It's a beautiful deck, and I think the whole story of the deck turned it into a myth. It disappeared like a unicorn, and the Wildwood, which was supposed to replace it, somehow couldn't. Although the Wildwood is beautiful and meaningful. But there's something very special, a bit rough and authentic, about the Greenwood.

Something similar happened with the Mythic Tarot - it was re-published with much slicker art work, and people simply loved the original art.

I'd LOVE to see the Greenwood re-printed.

If you want to see Arwen Lynch compare the two decks, here you go:

Thinking about the difference between the two decks: the Greenwood looks more Bronze Age shamanic, the Wildwood more Celtic shamanic.

There is a wonderful deck by the great Alison Cross - A Year in the Wildwood. I think it would work also with the Greenwood. It's based on the Wheel of the Year. I love love love the concept.

If you have any love for pre-historical art and power animals and Stonehenge and streams and deep forests - both these decks are for you.

Another link: the Greenwood artist, Chesca Potter, put the Greenwood book and images on her website. Have a look at it if you want to know whether this deck speaks to you.
RavenOfSummer
Seer

Post by RavenOfSummer »

The reprint is very controversial. I don't claim any special knowledge about it, but many people in the tarot community are upset that this reprint is being done without the permission of Chesca Potter, the artist, who apparently holds the copyright to the art. Chesca went out of contact with the community some years ago- again I don't know the circumstances of this. The co-creator has now decided to reprint the deck, even though Chesca has apparently expressly stated she did not want the deck reprinted. I don't know how the legality of the how thing works, but I understand that many feel that regardless of legality the artist's wishes in regards to her own work should be respected. I've heard people say they feel there is some male entitlement going on with the rights of the woman creator being trampled on, as I believe has happened to several women tarot artists throughout history (and obviously happens to women in general). Again, I claim no special knowledge, but am only sharing the arguments I have heard so that people can perhaps find out more information for themselves.

Also, the artist had made her images available for people to print decks for their personal use- you can download them here: https://voicewithinthecards.wordpress.c ... arot-book/. I understand that Chesca is fine with this as long as they are for personal use and not used to make money. She doesn't want the deck reprinted and sold. I know many people have printed their own copy of the Greenwood for their use with these images.
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

RavenOfSummer wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 22:35 The reprint is very controversial. I don't claim any special knowledge about it, but many people in the tarot community are upset that this reprint is being done without the permission of Chesca Potter, the artist, who apparently holds the copyright to the art. Chesca went out of contact with the community some years ago- again I don't know the circumstances of this. The co-creator has now decided to reprint the deck, even though Chesca has apparently expressly stated she did not want the deck reprinted. I don't know how the legality of the how thing works, but I understand that many feel that regardless of legality the artist's wishes in regards to her own work should be respected. I've heard people say they feel there is some male entitlement going on with the rights of the woman creator being trampled on, as I believe has happened to several women tarot artists throughout history (and obviously happens to women in general). Again, I claim no special knowledge, but am only sharing the arguments I have heard so that people can perhaps find out more information for themselves.

Also, the artist had made her images available for people to print decks for their personal use- you can download them here: https://voicewithinthecards.wordpress.c ... arot-book/. I understand that Chesca is fine with this as long as they are for personal use and not used to make money. She doesn't want the deck reprinted and sold. I know many people have printed their own copy of the Greenwood for their use with these images.
Agreed.

I could not purchase the reprint in good conscience, or even accept a copy as a gift. If I did, I'd never feel right using it or even seeing it on the shelf.

It's worth the trouble to download the free version if you'd like a copy, and have it printed up at a site like this one https://www.makeplayingcards.com/

The posts at this facebook group are well worth the time it takes to read them. Please, educate yourselves about this before ordering. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Chesca-Pott ... e_internal
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Oh, I was optimistic enough (naive? stupid?) to believe that Chesca Potter had given her permission to re-publish it! If she didn't, I won't buy it. Just as I didn't buy the new Mythic which was also created without even informing the original artist (she read about it on AT, iirc).

Thank you for the information, that really puts a different face on the action. I certainly won't support the creation of this deck and will write a mail to make that clear. As long as Chesca is against it, it's not right to print, sell or buy it.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Nemia wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 12:30 and the Wildwood, which was supposed to replace it, somehow couldn't.
Personally, I like the Wildwood much more. I've been flirting with the idea of getting one, but I have no interest in the Greenwood whatsoever.
I believe in Crystal Light.
inomminate
Sybil

Post by inomminate »

I have the wildwood but could not work with the reordering of the majors in the greenwood.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I have the Wildwood and like it very much. If there was a morally acceptable re-print of the Greenwood, I'd snatch it up :-) I like the more primitive, pre-modern look and feel of the Greenwood. I don't use my Wildwood much although it's beautiful, well-thought out and Celtic lore interests me. It's not a 100% click, don't know why.
inomminate
Sybil

Post by inomminate »

Nemia wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 13:14 I have the Wildwood and like it very much. If there was a morally acceptable re-print of the Greenwood, I'd snatch it up :-) I like the more primitive, pre-modern look and feel of the Greenwood. I don't use my Wildwood much although it's beautiful, well-thought out and Celtic lore interests me. It's not a 100% click, don't know why.
I bought my wildwood in a charity shop and haven't used it yet so I don't know if it will work for me or not.Though if I find decks in places like charity shops then I feel there is a certain synchronicity.
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

Nemia wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 23:37 Oh, I was optimistic enough (naive? stupid?) to believe that Chesca Potter had given her permission to re-publish it! If she didn't, I won't buy it. Just as I didn't buy the new Mythic which was also created without even informing the original artist (she read about it on AT, iirc).
It's not naivete or stupidity. I wouldn't have known either, if I hadn't stumbled onto some hardcore Greenwood fans talking about it. It's not the kind of behavior one normally expects. Mr. Ryan is banking on the fact that Chesca Potter will most likely not come forward to fight this.
Thank you for the information, that really puts a different face on the action. I certainly won't support the creation of this deck and will write a mail to make that clear. As long as Chesca is against it, it's not right to print, sell or buy it.
Thank you. It's good to see someone doing the right thing.
There are some people I thought better of, who continue to support this in spite of knowing the facts. It's sad when someone sells their integrity for something like a deck, and even moreso when the images are available free online!
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

katrinka wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 22:53
RavenOfSummer wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 22:35 The reprint is very controversial. I don't claim any special knowledge about it, but many people in the tarot community are upset that this reprint is being done without the permission of Chesca Potter, the artist, who apparently holds the copyright to the art. Chesca went out of contact with the community some years ago- again I don't know the circumstances of this. The co-creator has now decided to reprint the deck, even though Chesca has apparently expressly stated she did not want the deck reprinted. I don't know how the legality of the how thing works, but I understand that many feel that regardless of legality the artist's wishes in regards to her own work should be respected. I've heard people say they feel there is some male entitlement going on with the rights of the woman creator being trampled on, as I believe has happened to several women tarot artists throughout history (and obviously happens to women in general). Again, I claim no special knowledge, but am only sharing the arguments I have heard so that people can perhaps find out more information for themselves.

Agreed.

I could not purchase the reprint in good conscience, or even accept a copy as a gift. If I did, I'd never feel right using it or even seeing it on the shelf.

It's worth the trouble to download the free version if you'd like a copy, and have it printed up at a site like this one https://www.makeplayingcards.com/

The posts at this facebook group are well worth the time it takes to read them. Please, educate yourselves about this before ordering. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Chesca-Pott ... e_internal
Does anyone have a good tutorial on the best way to get cards printed in MPC from the files provided by Chesca?
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Does anyone have a good tutorial on the best way to get cards printed in MPC from the files provided by Chesca?
I'm not sure that that MPC would print images for which the copyright is not owned by the uploader, as before the images are passed for publication one always has to tick a box saying that one owns the copyright. I guess if one were less than honest the box could be ticked, but the Greenwood is well known and it would probably be spotted and printing refused, even for a private printing with no intention of resale.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Pen wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 06:49
I'm not sure that that MPC would print images for which the copyright is not owned by the uploader, as before the images are passed for publication one always has to tick a box saying that one owns the copyright. I guess if one were less than honest the box could be ticked, but the Greenwood is well known and it would probably be spotted and printing refused, even for a private printing with no intention of resale.
Fair enough, how about a tutorial for DriveThruCards or another print on demand card site? Chesca has given her permission for the images to be reprinted for private use, expressly for this purpose.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

If you search the Drive-Thru site you may be able to find their very exacting instructions on preparing files for publication, but the place is a labyrinth and I seem to remember that I had to register first. I'm fairly experienced with Photoshop file preparation but the process involved correcting out-of-gamut colours which was a bridge too far for me. I'm pretty sure they'd insist on copyright ownership too.

I do know someone who received permission from an artist to get a copy of a deck printed - she used Printers Studio, which I believe is a sister company of MPC, so I'd imagine that she would have had to produce proof of permission to print before they went ahead.

The cards on the download are many per page and would have to be separated before uploading to a POD print site, also resized if necessary, keeping the proportions to the most appropriate (or desired) size from the standard ones offered by the printer.

It's not that difficult to print your own if you have a home colour printer. You'd also need a laminator, but these are fairly inexpensive. I think there used to be threads on Aeclectic tarot with tips and instructions.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Well that is disappointing. I appreciate releasing the images for us to use as we wish, but I prefer the quality of a professionally produced deck. I’m extremely disappointed that this reprint is being done without Chesca’s permission, as I could not use a deck that is so compromised.
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

If you go to our Facebook page Stella has some good resources for a well-made deck. They will print from the uploads from Chesca's authorized site.
Maskelyne
Seer

Post by Maskelyne »

Pen wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 06:49 I'm not sure that that MPC would print images for which the copyright is not owned by the uploader, as before the images are passed for publication one always has to tick a box saying that one owns the copyright. I guess if one were less than honest the box could be ticked, but the Greenwood is well known and it would probably be spotted and printing refused, even for a private printing with no intention of resale.
I had a copy printed by MPC about 2 1/2 years ago. I don't recall any copyright issues at the time, but I would assume that permission for personal use includes the right to print one copy.

Return to “Sneak Peeks & Works in Progress”