This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 28 Symbolon

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 28 Symbolon

Post by Rachelcat »

This week, I’m going to use Symbolon, which is an astrological deck containing one card for each combination of two signs plus one card for each sign. Which incidentally is 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12=78, but there’s no relation to tarot. (I have another deck with the same system called Visual Zodiac, which if I remember correctly is Brazilian.) Symbolon is an oldie but goodie by German authors and artist, published by AG Muller. All I have is the lwb in English, but I seem to remember there are several books about the deck, perhaps only in German? The lwb gives card titles, but the titles are purposefully not on the cards to allow more intuitive interpretations. I like the artwork, which I would call a detailed fairy tale illustration style, with some recurring characters. Let’s give it a try!

Sunday Deck Interview

Sunday.jpg

Most important characteristic: Taurus + Pisces, Garden of Spirits
The deck is a fruitful combination of practicality and spirituality. The fairies are blessing her for planting a tree? Lwb focuses on being too bound to fantasy and a false sense of reality. Huh . . .

Strength: Aries + Gemini, Stocks
Public punishment communicates (Gemini) political power (Aries). I note that the person being punished and ridiculed is a young woman, and the men doing the ridiculing are grown men. So it’s definitely about control. As a strength, I would say the deck exposes control and how power is involved in the question. Lwb emphasizes gossip, lies, and outing. Just more forms of social control.

Weakness: Cancer + Sagittarius, Mnemosyne
I see a beautiful balance of day and night, hidden and revealed, symbolized by a beautiful Justice or Temperance figure. But I thought Mnemosyne is the goddess of memory? And how is all this a weakness? Lwb illuminates: She is the muse of memory, standing in for therapy or a talking cure, remembering your past as a way of remembering yourself. As a weakness, the deck could be too focused on problems and what’s wrong and how to fix that, rather than neutral issues.

What can I learn from deck: Leo + Pisces, Retreat
The deck is a tool for memory and therapy, but also for withdrawing into the more peaceful parts of oneself. I can learn to profit from meditation and quietness. Lwb says “de-identification,” which basically means you are not your problems or desires.

How can I learn it: Cancer + Libra, Family
This seems the opposite, in that the card is encouraging identification with ones family and relationships? Maybe it’s selfless love for everyone, not just your immediate family. Project that natural care onto myself and other people I don’t even know. Lwb talks about two people making a third, and the necessity of being responsible for the third person. Which kind of agrees with my idea of being responsible for others in the world.

Outcome: Virgo + Capricorn, Fear
Ok, that can’t be good! Although it fits because I’m feeling that the deck AND the lwb seem to have a negative slant, or maybe a 50-50 positive to negative balance. And I feel like tarot is more like 70-30. And I’m not really seeing how Virgo and Capricorn add up to fear? Oh, it’s fear of death and learning to let go of things. So I could learn from the deck how to let go of some preconceived notions about cards and astrology. It could be a good thing!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 28 Symbolon

Post by Rachelcat »

Sunday, Full Moon in Capricorn, Blessing Moon

Sunday 2.jpg

What’s rising in my life? Cancer + Virgo, Caring
I’m now able and willing to truly care for other people in my life. I wasn’t always there.

How is the energy moving? Cancer + Capricorn, Ice Queen
The energy is moving away from being an ice queen. Was wasn’t able to connect and be present as much as I should have with my own child, but that is changing.

What is being completed? Aries + Libra, Disagreement
The picture looks stronger than a disagreement, more like an argument, or worse. But that part of my life is over. I’m not defined by someone else’s negativity, and trying to get out from under it, anymore.

What is slowing down? Aries + Scorpio, Vampire
Which just sucked the life out of me! I know the problems with being present were mine, not caused by other people, but their problems did make me unable to correct that problem when I should have. I just didn’t have any energy left to deal with it.

What am I making room for? Virgo, Servitor
I always say, am always thinking, I just want to be able to help people. But I haven’t been very effective at it for various reasons. My time of real contribution is coming!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday, Problem Spread

Trying the spread from the lwb without a question. It will tell me what the problem is!

Monday.jpg

The problem: Leo + Libra, Wedding
I’m too focused on myself (Leo) so I’m not too good at relationships (Libra). Lwb says depending my happiness on another person, which isn’t true. But it also says love yourself first, and be sure to have something to give and share in return.

The way through the problem: Gemini, Mercury, Mediator
Obviously, the way out of that is to grant equal time and attention. And interest to self and others. Promote the meeting of the minds so we can meet more equally. Lwb says face matters with a detached and objective attitude. That works too.

Outcome: Libra + Pisces, The King’s Two Children
The separation will be remedied. The yearning to meet will be accomplished under the rainbow. Lwb: The feeling of separation is part of life and helps us to realize what we want and that we are all connected and also separate.

So I think if I want to improve my relationships and feel more connected, I have to consciously try and try concrete, objective ideas and ways to make that happen.

Wow, this deck is very psychological and deep. It’s going to take we a while to get into it. So pretty though!

Happy Monday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday Problem Spread

Let’s try the spread with an innocuous question today to see if we can tone it down a bit!
How will the Tarot Society meeting go on Saturday?

Tuesday 2.jpg

Problem: Cancer + Gemini, Articulation
People will get a chance to express their feelings.

Way through the problem: Libra + Scorpio, Disaster
This is basically a Devil card with the people chained together. The way through is to acknowledge that things have been bad in the past and that talking about them will help.

Outcome: Virgo + Pisces, Deception
Deception will be exposed and shamed.

Ok, I think I’m getting the hang of this deck. I pretty much picked up on the meanings as they are in the book. But I still think it’s too negative. But I’m going to keep trying!

See you tomorrow!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
What would happen if I use Arcana Stones for my deck of the week next week and try to sell the last sets? (Arcana Stones is a set of crystals related to tarot majors with a booklet and spreadcloth that I created and sold a few years back. I have a few more sets to sell.)

Wednesday.jpg

A problem: Pisces, Angel
Well, I don’t see it as much of a problem, with such a beautiful angel! Maybe the problem will be that I think it’s all spiritual and beautiful that everyone will like it, but really it’s just a fun project I worked on and spent way too much on rocks. The book problem section agrees. It’s about illusion and avoiding problems. But maybe the illusion is that no one will like it! It can’t hurt to try.

A way through: Gemini + Libra, Vanity Fair
I should try to see things clearly, not worrying about what people will think of me, the only thing that matters is what they think of the product! It’s not a popularity contest, it’s sharing knowledge and creativity.

Outcome: Libra + Sagittarius, Symbolon
Since this is the name of the deck, I’m assuming this is a very positive goal card, a relationship based on higher truths. I can’t see this as anything but a good outcome. My product will be useful, make people happy, and help them glimpse the truth.

Here I’ve been complaining about this being a negative deck. It just had to prove me wrong! And now you know what my deck of the week will be next week!

Have a happy Wednesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday Problem Spread

How can I begin to get used to the idea of going back into the office for work? (Although we don’t know when that will be yet, I assume it won’t be later than September or October. But then who knows . . .)

Thursday.jpg

Problem, Leo + Taurus, Queen
Yes, that’s the problem all right! I’ve gotten way too used to being home, in my comfort zone, commuting from my bedroom to my dining room, playing with the cat and going in and out whenever I want, etc. Not to mention no clothes stress or bad hair days.

Way through, Capricorn + Aquarius, Captivity
Umm, the only way through is to get used to it all. Only a motley fool would expect total freedom all the time. I need to accept that sometimes there’s more, sometimes there’s less. And it’s not like my office is a terrible place. It’s really very nice! I just have to ride the metro to get there, which also could be worse, it could be the New York subway, or the Chicago El. Compared to them, the DC metro is like a Cadillac!

Outcome, Libra + Aquarius, Separation
Well, these Aquarius cards are quite appropriate, telling me it’s all about freedom. The outcome is really that my sense of freedom comes from within. And that I need to understand that there’s more to it than just doing whatever I want: My job gives me financial freedom, and it’s a good job, I have the freedom of not feeling wasted or taken advantage of. I’m good at it, enjoy it (mostly) and feel like I’m appreciated. That’s a good kind of freedom to have. (And maybe it’s saying I’ll be free soon enough if I get some money together to retire.)

So the answer is obvious, just suck it up and get used to it. But I like the positive encouragement of the cards, too.

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
What should I concentrate on over the weekend?

Friday.jpg

Aries + Virgo, Guilt
What’s happening here? Did the warrior injure the unicorn by mistake? And now he feels guilty. Well, he certainly needed to be more careful and not throw that spear all over the place without looking that an innocent being was there. There are some things I feel guilty for and some things I am always assigning guilt for. It might be time to work on that and release some of it.

Cancer + Gemini, Articulation
Which is what this card is saying. Let the negative out by expressing it. Both guilt and blame. I never think it’s a good time for that, but hey, this could be it.

Gemini + Virgo, Strategist
But it’s about more than feelings. I should also plan to do something about it. Communicate with a purpose.

Interesting progression through the cards. There’s no sign link from the first to the second, but there is a subject link. Then we have Gemini linking 2 and 3 and Virgo linking 3 back to 1.

I’m starting to like the deck more. I was starting with the impression that I like the art but just can’t get with the meanings. But it’s growing on me. Especially if I use my own interps with the signs, and look for links between the cards. I guess the problem, way through, outcome thing wasn’t really working for me.

One more day to go with Symbolon. Happy Friday all!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday, last day for Symbolon
Should I put some effort into working up some presentations for the forum?

Saturday.jpg

Problem, Leo + Aquarius, Fall
I’m afraid of looking foolish. Or that all my careful thought and work will be received like it’s no big deal. Leo is ego, Aquarius is independent thought. People will not receive it the way I want it received. Pride goeth before a fall.

Way through, Capricorn + Pisces, Moira
The way out of that is let it go. I can’t control what others think, of me or my work. I can only do the best I can. Cut (Pisces) the ego thread and keep the hard work (Capricorn).

Outcome, Leo + Sagittarius, Fortuna
If I can do that, it will be successful. Leo is back, but with Sagittarius. It will be successful to me personally, but it will also help others’ studies. Book points out Jupiter as luck, so Leo-Sun + Sagittarius-Jupiter = personal luck. I’ll take it!

I feel like I’m just scratching the surface of this deck. And some good astrological studying couldn’t hurt! I might come back to it later and try it again sometime.

Return to “Week 28 - My Deck of the Week”