This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

JM's DoW: Claves Astrologicae

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

JM's DoW: Claves Astrologicae

Post by Joan Marie »

tumblr_1dc762ed9ee48248f4dd85c8bbaefbcc_02d6ab49_640.jpg

This little poker-sized deck is called the Calves Astrologicae - De Iris Sacra, by Tina Gong.

I received this deck as a gift some time ago but have not delved into it much as I am basically illiterate about astrology.
However, I am in a period of learning and exploring these days.
I have begun to get into the I-Ching. I even made myself a set of tiles out of clay yesterday. They are still drying.

And I am getting my toes wet in astrology. I kind of hate this dilettante stage. It's a little embarrassing. But one must begin somewhere.
And Deck of the Week provides such a good chance to connect with this deck.

Before I get to today's reading I want to say a little about it.

A quick word about the box. it's very pretty. I have to admit though I am not crazy about the ribbon tie. It's clumsy to use, difficult to tie. There is no magnet that helps hold it closed so cutting the ribbons off isn't an option, they are the only thing holding the lid down. That said, if this is my only deck with this type of closure, I can deal with it. It makes it special. And the the box is very sturdy. Did I mention how pretty it is?

The cards are as follows:
  • 12 Zodiac signs
  • 11 Planets (includes the Sun and Moon)
  • 12 Astrological Houses
  • 10 Lunar events
It comes with a small fold-out "lwb" with some very basic guidance to each card. There is also a link to a website that provides more info.
There is also an accompanying app with more detailed card meanings, lessons and spreads.
I have yet to check that out but I hope to this week.

This may turn out to be a nice way to get into this topic.

This deck can be used in several ways, according to the booklet, including as an oracle deck.

because I am a beginner with this deck I am going to take the advice in the lwb to start.
I divided the cards into their four categories and drew one from each:

tumblr_f01616ae3678eddaba06784539ce1d07_07e01c1b_640.jpg

Each card answers one of the following questions which I will apply to my day:

Q. Zodiac: How am I approaching the situation
A. Capricorn

Q. Planet: What part of my personality is involved here?
A: Mercury

Q. House: Where in my life does this affect?
A. 5th: House of Creativity

Q. Lunar Event: Guidance going forward
A. Waning Gibbous

I need to explore this further, the booklet gives precious little info as to the meanings of each of these. However, maybe that is the point; to encourage further exploration to find deeper meanings.

But from the little info there is I can see that today is a day for exactly this kind of thing! i just need to be cautious of the potential "downside" of Capricorn (my sun sign btw) which can get a bit frustrated and pessimistic when quick results elude her.

Something I am always on the watch for.

Looking forward to learning a lot this week. Or anything at all really!

Happy Monday.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: JM's DoW: Claves Astrologicae

Post by Joan Marie »

I downloaded the app for this deck yesterday. It doesn't really add a lot to the little book.
I may have to investigate some more in depth information to really get all I can from this deck.

But here is my reading for today:

tumblr_237a01bf8b8b642893a78a8aa8a10160_910ffe9e_500.jpg

Q. Zodiac: How am I approaching the situation
A. Scorpio

A: Jupiter

A. 5th: House of Creativity (again)

A. First Quarter

It seems I am somewhere in between an observation mode and an action mode and that frankly is pretty accurate. I'm getting a lot of strong messages lately to take things slow and to not worry about that. Slow is okay right now. I need to really have one foot stepped back to really observe and assess things. i also find myself lately getting what seems to be side-tracked, but, these "off-road" adventures are really enriching to me right now. I feel like I am, slowly, re-charging myself in many important ways.

It would be a huge mistake right now to feel stressed about the meandering nature of my path at the moment. Better to enjoy it.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I know this sounds really nit-picky, but I am not crazy about fold-out lwb's.

I really prefer a little booklet. The fold-out ones are so hard to find anything on.

tumblr_677aca3c33eea0d5a25e0af90d984067_03a2b567_640.jpg
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

The day is half over, so let's see what the cards have to say.

tumblr_fb5e5157b6c3ed0b4ef84d9eb5e363b1_7107eefa_500.jpg

Q. Zodiac: How am I approaching the situation (day)
A. Cancer

A: Luna

A. 1st House: Self

A. Solar Eclipse

maybe I waited too long or something but I'm not feeling this reading too much. Unfortunately I am reliant on the app to help me understand the cards and it is very limited. As i said before, I am encouraged to explore these things more, elsewhere.

I'll try again tomorrow!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I don't feel like I have given this deck the fair shake it deserves.
Someone with more knowledge than I have could utilise this system to a much greater effect.

But I will try and finish off with this one last draw:

tumblr_67c3cc79eeaf2b1ce6d909084b971815_ea132668_640.jpg

Q. Zodiac: How am I approaching the situation (day)
A. Aries

A: Neptune

A. 7th House: Partners

A. Lunar Eclipse

Interesting combination of messages here. maybe even contradictions. But I am used to that.

I really do seek some independence today, some needed "me"time as they say. saw friends last night and had a good time but I feel sort of drained today, and would like to explore my more Neptunian side and get into some quiet contemplation.

Just hope I'm able to get away with it as there are some conflicting factors at play (a houseguest for one). Maybe that partner card will come into play in the form of my partner taking charge of the guest.

next week I think I am going to need a deck I can relate to more. But I did enjoy getting my feet wet with this one.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Please don't get discouraged! I know for how many years I shied back from anything Kabbalah and how silly that was. If your mind wants to know it, you will absorb the knowledge. And astrology is not difficult to understand. Don't forget you have the tarot knowledge to help you along. You know already that there are four elements and what's their character, you have met the planets already (Venus in the Empress, Mercury in the Magician etc) you'll only get to know them better - but you know what to expect.

You'll see, it's not difficult to get a basic understanding. The whole technical stuff with numbers and ephimerids etc is beyond me, too. But I was lucky to stumble aged 11 or 12 upon Linda Goodman's classic Sun Signs. I still have the book (never returned it to the friend who lent it to me :oops: ). It's laughable how natural her extremely gendered writing must have seemed then - all women are coquettish housewives or glamourous divas, all men industrious providers or powerful bosses, and if Aries women try to behave like men and treated as equals - well, we all have our little foibles, don't we?

With all this retrospect madness, the book gave me a kitschy-but-useful hook to hang all my other knowledge on. I read a lot of astrology books over the years and I'm sure others can give much better recommendations. But try to start with the basics - the 12 zodiac types, their mixture of element (fire, earth, air, water) and modality (cardinal - start of season, fixed - height of season, mutable - preparing for next season). Look at the people around you and ask yourself: where is his Sagittarius character? would I have recognized her as Libra?

Planets are easy, and houses too, once you know the signs. Ascendants and moons signs are easy to understand, too, once you see before your inner eye the dome of the sky above, with the ring of zodiac signs moving all the time (i.e. WE move but it looks as though the zodiac signs move). Which part of the ring is rising right now, which one is sinking? which is above, which below?

Moon and Sun and all the planets follow the same path. Above your very own house. You can see them tonight if you want to. They'll be there.

It took me years to connect the wonders of the night sky with the stuff I read in astrology books but once I did, I got really really excited. If you ever saw the huge Lion above or Scorpio, you'll know what I mean.

Astrology is not some bullshit invented by journalists to fill columns for the light-headed. It's the foundation of culture and science, the search for a connection between celestial mechanics and experiences in our lives. It's like a huge old tree that people wanted to fell many times, but it still has green leaves and each spring, new blossoms.

Sorry for writing so much.

Get those feet wet! You'll love it. Tarot and astrology are a match made in heaven.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Nemia wrote: 22 May 2020, 14:43 Sorry for writing so much.
Never apologise for that!!

Thank you so much for this wonderful encouragement.

And you are so right, when you start just breaking things down into little pieces it's so much easier to start getting a handle on it. I do see all those connections and you are also right that I already know more than I realise.

We all do I'm sure.

Thank you again. ❤️

Return to “Week 21 - My Deck of the Week”