This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Nemia's DoW 19 - Art Oracles

Nemia
Sage

Nemia's DoW 19 - Art Oracles

Post by Nemia »

Let's go oracle-divingi a bit!

Art Oracles is a great deck because it's very clever, full of humour and irony, and it has a wonderful clear look.

So today we have Le Corbusier.

I'll add the rest incl pic later, domestic duties call me!
Nemia
Sage

Re: Nemia's DoW 19 - Art Oracles

Post by Nemia »

Today, I drew the second card - this is not a deck for every day, and I don't know yet how to connect it to my life. The cards are witty and give insight into the art they relate to and to life in general, less insight into my life. But since art is such a big part of my life, that's actually great.

On Sunday, I had Le Corbusierr - I'm a bit ambivalent about him, I must confess.

img_20200506_174713.951.jpg

Today, poor old Edvard Munch with his traumata, obsessions and fears.

img_20200506_174726.769.jpg

Just today, in an online lesson about Neo-Classicism, I showed Munch's re-interpretation of Jacques-Louis David's Death of Marat - of course, Munch saw it as sexual aggression of the aggressive woman (clearly Tulla Larsen) against the helpless, wounded male (himself). I can't really stand his fin-de-siecle suspicion of The Female but I value his empathy for pain.

Both cards are very well done, really great. Theory makes perfect, practice makes problems is really a life's motto for me :lol: I always prefer theory to practice!

And Scream into a canvas, not a pillow is just what I actually plan to do. I've been drawing less and crocheting more again since learning of a baby-to-be-born in my very close family, and crochet is often a much-loved substitute for more expressive or daring art. But I'm on my way back to the realms of art making and I take this as sentence as encouragement.

I prefer these wry little gems a thousand times to any marshmallow affirmation a la Doreen Virtue.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

There's good walkthrough here on YouTube, which shows the cards one by one with time (just) to read the captions.

Very clever and witty, seems simple to use and there's enough in the way each is written to make the little grey cells work a bit.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Nemia wrote: 06 May 2020, 15:04 I prefer these wry little gems a thousand times to any marshmallow affirmation a la Doreen Virtue.
I agree. I am going to have a go with this deck this week.
I know what you mean, it's a little hard to connect to on a literal level. It's fun and there is a lot of truth in it. But as we talked about before it might be a case of being a bit too specific.

I'm going to see what I can do with it.

And regarding Munch, his scream paintings are so famous that people don't know much about his other work. I saw a really big exhibit of his paintings a few years ago (I miss museums!!) and was so moved by some of his work. I especially recal some about death, and one especially of someone at the bedside of a dying person.
The Scream was almost the first "meme" wasn't it? And the prioblem with having a painting that famous is no one knows your other work. It's like how actors get typecast by a role they played once. It's strange when you think about it, the fate of an artist who has a success.

I saw a big exhibit from Le Corbusierr also. I have to confess I don't remember much of it. A couple of things of course, but overall it didn't speak to me, at least not that day.

I was surprised by an exhibit I went to of Yoko Ono. I had a lot of preconceptions about her that were dashed entirely. She made some really powerful things.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “Week 19 - My Deck of the Week”