This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Naming the CoT Deck

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Naming the CoT Deck

Post by Joan Marie »

I think it's time that we started to think about what to call this creation.

Lets all use this thread to brainstorm ideas.

I want to make one suggestion, I don't think we need to indicate in the deck's name that it is a "Multi-artist" or "Community" or "Group" deck. That will be apparent in the deck's description, or maybe the sub-title. We want the name to be catchy in some way, and we don't want to bog it down by turning it into a description, if that makes sense.

Same with Cult of Tarot, it doesn't have to be part of the name.

The name should describe the spirit behind it, or just something fun about it. It could be just be really random, like "Fred"

I don't know. I just want to say nothing is off limits for consideration and I always find that ideas spark other ideas all the time, so don't be shy.

Your idea might be terrible, but it could be the catalyst for a really good idea!!! :lol:

I'm joking, I'm sure everybody's ideas are great and together we'll find what to call our little monster.

So, bombs away! Let's hear your ideas!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Re: Naming the CoT Deck

Post by Diana »

The Patchwork Tarot? Apparently à synonym for patchwork is "olio" . The Olio Tarot?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

The Spaghetti is Ready Tarot Deck
tenor.gif

Deck box design :lol:
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

The Pandemos Tarot?

“Of the people”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodite_Pandemos
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Sorry for the triple post, but on that note the 4th day of the month is apparently sacred to Aphrodite, which would be Friday this week, aka the day of Venus. Won’t happen again until next September.

Shall we sacrifice a white goat? (Jk haha) or maybe include it in the backing somehow? Maybe that’s too much though. Idk how much it matters that the name is somehow woven into the deck, maybe it just needs to speak for itself.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Well then I will reply to you in the same vein as the other thread.

I really love the name and the story behind it. I'm really sold. I think you've had a brilliant idea.

But the goat, I'm not sold on that at all. Really not at all. I don't think I would want a picture of an animal on the back of my deck. I think it would bother me, sort of like it's imposing something on me. What if someone doesn't like goats very much (personally, I like them, they're cute, but they're not something I go wow about). There are enough pictures anyway on the other side of the cards.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Hahaha! Thanks Marigold :mrgreen: I replied to the goat-y factor in the other thread.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 15:47 The Patchwork Tarot? Apparently à synonym for patchwork is "olio" . The Olio Tarot?
In the US "Olio" was what we called margarine, only it was spelled "oleo". Was that true anywhere else I wonder?

It's a pretty word. But it makes me want to say, Olio Tarolio. :lol:

Which if not for the strong margarine connotation isn't so bad!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

AstralPasta wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 18:01 The Pandemos Tarot?

“Of the people”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodite_Pandemos
Pandemos is also a pretty word. And the meaning is nice.

Same root as "pandemonium?" ;)
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Marigold wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 15:47 The Patchwork Tarot? Apparently à synonym for patchwork is "olio" . The Olio Tarot?
I like The Patchwork Tarot! :D
also Cult Tarot? or Patch Tarot/Patarot? :mrgreen:
Amoroso
Sage

Post by Amoroso »

reall wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 20:34 Patch Tarot/Patarot?
There's already a Patch Tarot.
Start strong
End stronger
PamelaSteele
Seeker

Post by PamelaSteele »

When you started the Cult of Tarot, it was to fill the gap left by the Aeclectic site closing up shop. Solandia was the heart and soul behind that site, and many of us (me included) will be forever in her debt.
I'm going to suggest the name "Aeclectic Tarot" in honor of Kate and all she's given to inspire us to greater heights.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Amoroso wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 01:55
Thanks. And to be honest "Patch" or "Patchwork" makes me think of something that is tattered or cobbled together from scraps. Not exactly how I see this collection of art.

(Does anyone remember that tearjerker of a song, "Patches"? That was my brother's go-to-karaoke song. He tried to bring the audience to tears with it. He did, but it was tears of laughter. )

I like the idea though, of many individual pieces creating a whole.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

PamelaSteele wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 03:07 I'm going to suggest the name "Aeclectic Tarot" in honor of Kate and all she's given to inspire us to greater heights.
Naming our first ever member -created Cult of Tarot Forum Deck after...another forum..is an interesting concept! ;)

I truly appreciate the sentiment behind that suggestion. But I think that for one thing, it would be confusing as a stand-alone thing. If someone wanted to create a "tribute deck" they could go full-tilt and have purple backs and everything. I think something like that would work best if that were the concept from the get-go. Then it could include the whole pre-amble and dedication to make it clear what it is.

I have to say that with this deck I would kind of prefer we establish our own identity for the beautiful and interesting group of humans we have assembled in the here and now. ❤️
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 19:59
In the US "Olio" was what we called margarine, only it was spelled "oleo". Was that true anywhere else I wonder?

It's a pretty word. But it makes me want to say, Olio Tarolio. :lol:

Which if not for the strong margarine connotation isn't so bad!
Nope, never heard of Oleo margarine. Makes sense as oleum is Latin for oil. So definitely not olio. It was just to brainstorm more than anything else.

I like Pandemos and also Patchwork. Some word that indicates that the deck is varied with different styles and intentions for the card.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 08:28 Nope, never heard of Oleo margarine. Makes sense as oleum is Latin for oil. So definitely not olio. It was just to brainstorm more than anything else.

I like Pandemos and also Patchwork. Some word that indicates that the deck is varied with different styles and intentions for the card.
Let's keep the brainstorming going everyone.

There really are (almost ;) ) no bad suggestions! Ideas spark other ideas so please don't be shy.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Amoroso wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 01:55
yes, it's been pointed to me we should avoid using name that is already taken! :D
so I have better idea, how about *Unity Tarot" or "Uni Tarot" as it best describe spirit here & after completing 4 cards with accompanying text & artist statement I feel like I've just finished my Uni!^^ lol
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I think there may be another way to approach this finding a name issue.

We have here two things that qualify this deck. 1) it's a Community deck, and 2) it's all about the Tarot. We started out focusing on the community aspect, but it's a bit redundant actually when you come to think of it, as this is already apparent in the concept and the cards themselves, and we haven't yet focused on what is just as important, what led us all here to this project.

So then I got to thinking that it may be a good idea to think about this name tarotically. So I thought then about which card would symbolise best this New deck, this new Beginnings, this Adventure, and maybe the First of many, or at least of a few. And of course what came to mind was The Bateleur/The Magician. It's card number One : our first deck. He's the one who with his magic creates a whole new world with his magic wand - i.e. our computers and paintbrushes and glue. He's certainly on an adventure, as are all the cards, but he's the first card (as he is the number 1. Number 0 is not really a number - you can't really do anything with a zero as it's a zero.)

So I'm wondering if we couldn't use the Magician/Bateleur as an inspiration for the name of the deck. I don't have any ideas now, I was just wanting to talk about how we could maybe approach this in a way that so well fits the raison d'être of this forum, i.e. tarotically. And also I want to say that we have a really great Magician in our deck - maybe we could even inspire ourselves from that card itself for the name and this would give some kind of cohesion to the whole thing.

Then if we take up this idea of naming this deck with something Magician/Bateleur inspired, deck number 2 could be like inspired from The High Priestess, our 3rd deck, The Empress, etc. etc. Of course, this would mean we'd have to create 22 decks at least so on second thoughts, maybe not ! :mrgreen:

Et voilà.
Lucifall
Seer

Post by Lucifall »

Maybe 'Ethnic Mosaic Tarot' will fit?

Etnic Mosaic: "Cultural mosaic" (French: "la mosaïque culturelle") is the mix of ethnic groups, languages, and cultures that coexist within society.
Paths you don't draw as a blue-print; Use your lightest feet to create your own.
Lucifall
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Lucifall wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 09:01 Maybe 'Ethnic Mosaic Tarot' will fit?

Etnic Mosaic: "Cultural mosaic" (French: "la mosaïque culturelle") is the mix of ethnic groups, languages, and cultures that coexist within society.
I like "Mosaiq of Magic Tarot! :mrgreen:
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Mosaic or Mosaiq or Mosaik or Mosaique sounds good. (the ethnic am not too keen on, but the mosaic is quite brilliant).

Going back to my idea of getting inspiration from the Magician in the deck, we can keep in mind that Gemini (depicted on the card) is a twin star and also known as Castor and Pollux. Maybe we could find a name inspired also by these two twins (which would again reflect something community like - working together). In Latin the twins are also known Castores, as well as the Tyndaridae or Tyndarids. Together they are known as the Dioscuri.

But none of that inspires me, but as we're brainstorming.. one thing can lead to another.

I did think of something though. In many readings, The Bateleur/Magician reminds me of a Jack of All Trades. He epitomises this the best when referring to this aspect or character of a person. Would "Jack of All Trades" be too long for a name ? I quite fancy it in fact.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I just went for a walk in the rain and this idea popped into my head.

Does anyone know the story of Stone Soup?

A wandering and hungry traveler (The Fool maybe?) arrives in a small village. In the village square he builds a little cooking fire and puts a pot of water on it to which he's added a large stone.

A passing villager asks what he's doing and the traveler replies "I'm making stone soup" and goes on to describe what a delicacy it is and tells the villager if he could spare a little something to add to the soup he'd happily share it.

Long story short (well, it's not that long really) the people of the village, drawn by curiosity, each contribute something, some carrots, a bit of parsley, some potatoes, a soup-bone, an onion, etc etc, until someone has to go get a bigger pot and then the soup keeps growing attracting more people until finally the traveler removes the old stone and serves the beautiful delicious soup they've created together to everyone in the village.

Sort of a "group project." In some of the better versions of the story, spirits rise and someone brings wine and others play music and it turns into a real evening.

So I got the idea: Stone Soup Tarot
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

What a wonderful and delightful idea! I know that story, but I know it as "Button Soup". According to wiki, it has several names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup. In varying traditions, the stone has been replaced with other common inedible objects, and therefore the fable is also known as axe soup, button soup, nail soup, and wood soup.

I love the idea, but I think Button Soup would be even better. Because buttons are colourful and happy. I love buttons! Who doesn't love a button. Although there is a very uncommon phobia called Koumpounophobia, which is a fear of buttons. Seriously. Apparently Steve Jobs had a great aversion to buttons and was maybe koumpounophobic. It has been said that this is why he was keen on touch screens but I don't know if this is not just an urban legend. Petrophobia is a fear of rocks (petros means stone in Greek) so either way, we may get caught up in someone's phobia. :shock:

You did well to take a walk in the rain, Joan Marie.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

hehe, in my country it's a Rock Stew!xD so let's call it Rock Tarot? :mrgreen:

eta; good point @Marigold think we have that axe version as well so how about Axe Tarot? :D
also luv button!^^ You Have my Vote!^^ :D :D :D
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Button is a seriously fun word.

Can you imagine what people would think if they see Button Soup Tarot ?
My first thought would be, "what is that?"

Just like in the story!

Yeah, I think it's kinda catchy. It's also a little story to tell instead of just "we did a community deck"

Also, starting with a "B" is better than "S", so many tarot decks start with an "S"

The initials would be BST,

The brainstorming sesh is still on everybody...

Return to “Button Soup Tarot”