This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

DoW 16 - Ethernal Sands of Time, Joan Marie

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

DoW 16 - Ethernal Sands of Time, Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie »

It's easter Sunday and the weather where I live is decidedly un-spring-like and feels more like mid-summer.
So I am turning to a deck that makes me feel for the hot dry weather, Ethernal Sand of Time, Tarot by St Germain.

This is a funny deck, and by funny I mean a little strange and wonderful.

Firstly, the name, Ethernal. I can't help but think this is, not a typo, but a kind of mix-up. The author of this deck, reall/irena who self-publishes under the name My Lucky Card, is native german speaking (at least I know she lives in Germany). She's lovely by the way. Warm and enthusiastic and a real lover and supporter of all things Tarot. In the German language you create the hard "T" sound with "th" as in the name Thomas. The english dipthong "th" as in "think" doesn't exist in German. In fact, for a lot of Germans it is a very hard sound to learn to pronounce and that is where you get the "z" sound to replace it sometimes. "Vhat are you zinking!"

So I am not sure and have never asked, but I always think the name of the deck should be pronounced, in english, "Eternal" even though it is spelled "Ethernal".

This deck comes without a booklet and so unless you are really adept at Tarot symbolism, some of the cards can be a little hard to identify. Where some people might have a little problem with this, I myself, just have fun with it.

For example, my first card of the week:
tumblr_757b2b9e9864ce5e2e7e10b1889cb88a_dab93ab3_640-1.jpg

What is this card? I have to confess I do not know. I am sure someone out there does. I see the Saturn symbol. It could be the Chariot. Or the Ace of Cups. I really don't know and I truly am amused by that. I find it kind of charming.

But this is only with the majors and the Courts. The minors are not pictorial, they are true "pips." (is that the right word?)

But what does this card say to me today?

This creature, this pig-dragon-aligator-rhino-snake-woman looks really self-determined and armed with everything and everyone needed to achieve something.
I feel that today. I have, I hope, made a breakthrough that has been a long time coming on the start of a new project and I am very lifted up by that.

I think that some of the bluesy feeling I have had of late has been due to a feeling of frustration about this and I now feel that veil lifting and hopefully like this strange creature, I am moving full steam ahead now.

Looking forward to spending the week with zis crazy little deck.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: DoW 16 - Ethernal Sands of Time, Joan Marie

Post by Rachelcat »

(I'm pretty sure this is the Devil. See here https://www.theoracleslibrary.com/2014/ ... the-devil/ )
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Rachelcat wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 14:12 (I'm pretty sure this is the Devil. )
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right! :lol:
Seems so obvious now!

That's a pretty scary interpretation! :twisted:

Stand by while I embarrass myself all week like this!
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 11:56
Firstly, the name, Ethernal. I can't help but think this is, not a typo, but a kind of mix-up. The author of this deck, reall/irena who self-publishes under the name My Lucky Card, is native german speaking (at least I know she lives in Germany). She's lovely by the way. Warm and enthusiastic and a real lover and supporter of all things Tarot. In the German language you create the hard "T" sound with "th" as in the name Thomas. The english dipthong "th" as in "think" doesn't exist in German. In fact, for a lot of Germans it is a very hard sound to learn to pronounce and that is where you get the "z" sound to replace it sometimes. "Vhat are you zinking!"

So I am not sure and have never asked, but I always think the name of the deck should be pronounced, in english, "Eternal" even though it is spelled "Ethernal".

I'd always assumed it was a mix of Ether (Aether) and Eternal. Ether being the fifth element.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 15:57 I'd always assumed it was a mix of Ether (Aether) and Eternal. Ether being the fifth element.
I thought something like that too for a while, but there are a few other "germanisms" on the box and website and other writings from her. That's what led me to the conclusion.

Or maybe it is a poetic combination of two words. I honestly don't know.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

tumblr_f7492d01ce5d316e8c62d7ccfb673eb4_baf8cc98_640.jpg

What a pretty Ace of Cups. Or, is it in fact, the 10 of Cups? At first glance it looks like a ring around a cup, but actually it is a ring of 9 Cups.

I'm guessing it is a 10 of Cups.

Again, the fun of this deck is just riffing off the image with no preconceived notions.

This card sports pretty pastel colours on a sunny gold background. The feeling is light and peaceful and flowing.
I am really beginning to strangely feel that this situation with "shelter at home" and all with all the peace and quiet around me and everything closed is normal. I suspect it will feel very strange when things go back to the former "normal."

My son said the most interesting thing to me yesterday about how people are just being humans right now. Normally we don't just hang out like this unless we are on vacation, which is a special state of being in itself. People are just finally getting a chance to be themselves. To think. To stare out the window. To call friends and talk. To play with their kids and pets. To write long emails. Bake. Just human things.

It's nice and I want to appreciate it while I am in it, before it is over.

My mind always goes to people who aren't able to enjoy this time. But how is that ever different really?

We each have only one heart. Surrounded by the hearts of others.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

tumblr_79fc37db02caad43fe741ed963fb807b_ff1c787c_640.jpg

What a deck!
Once again, I could make several guesses at what this card could be.
If I went through the whole thing I could probably figure out and sort which cards are which, but pulling them one-by-one, I just am not able to definitively tell most of the time.
(although I REALLY should have gotten that Devil card the other day. I really am embarrassed about that.)

We have a woman here, plying her talents and above her four quadrants and a wheel of flowers. I see the 4 elements represented. This could be The World card. It could be the Wheel of Fortune.

She seems to be practicing her craft sending her spirit into the bird where it is shared amongst the elements. As if to return the favour of the gifts she's received, thanking the Muse.

My mind really wanders with this deck and this is exactly what I need this week.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

tumblr_ce39ca6c91b169289ae230ba64702318_d9f9ac47_640.jpg

Pretty sure this is Temperance.

I love how this Temperance has wings on his back and his feet.

Today is a day I am having a little trouble finding the "sweet spot" for.

I've been really busy so far today but I have the strong feeling that I need to chill back a bit and do some serious thinking about some things.

I think a little more planning and a little less action is in order and for the remaineder of the day I will try to do that.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 12:27
I love how this Temperance has wings on his back and his feet.

Perhaps the wings of on his feet evoke Mercury. In this case, your thinking that you speak about will surely be successful as Mercury brings messages.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)

Return to “Week 16 - My Deck of the Week”