This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel's DoW 14 Minchiate Etruria

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel's DoW 14 Minchiate Etruria

Post by Rachelcat »

I'm continuing my streak of pips decks with swords that look like swords. This week its the Minchiate Etruria. This is the recent “Anima Antiqua” release by Lo Scarabeo, which dates it to 1807. I also have an earlier LS edition of the exact same deck that I used a good bit in the past.

It’s not technically a tarot because it has 40 majors (along with the regular minors). Its majors include most tarot majors (not including priestess or pope), along with astrological signs, the four elements, the rest of the virtues (prudence, faith, hope, and charity). The knights are charming centaurs. And some of the pips have interesting illustrations, like someone stabbing the elephant he is currently riding! And a monkey looking in a mirror. These add charm, but I don’t know about meaning . . .

Instead of doing a deck interview spread, I asked the deck to tell me how it feels about being a deck of the week and possibly working with me beyond that. I used the “Oldest Spread,” which lends itself well to a deck with 40 majors!

I got 5 pairs.

minchie interview 2.jpg

Ugh! I can't make this dumb photo upright, but if you click on, it is upright!

Capricorn-6 Swords
I love this 6 of Swords! Who can resist a disco ball above and a spotted cat below? (Not sure what they have to do with the meaning though.) I have to work conscientiously to get the full meaning of readings with this deck.

Scorpio-7 Wands
Reading with this deck might seem like a struggle, but, like a secretive Scorpio, I secretly enjoy the challenge.

Angel (Judgment)-8 Coins
This card is called “Angel” or “Trumpets,” and its meaning is sometimes thought to be “Fame” rather than Judgment. But I’m going with Judgment here. (You can see the city of Florence with Brunelleschi’s dome of the Duomo below. And is that the Medici coat of arms?) I should consider how working with a physical deck with such different majors can really take my reading to a higher level.

Sagittarius-Knight of Coins
Similar to the Capricorn pair, my hard work will be rewarded with understanding. Aim high! Two centaurs together here, although the knight is a lion centaur, not a horsey one.

Devil-5 Coins
Getting caught up in the physical aspects of the deck and its purported deficiencies is a temptation that will get me nowhere. I love devils that look like they’re very uncomfortable being devils. This guy seems quite disconcerted that he’s wearing a flame-and-snake loincloth and nothing else. Unless you count the long horns, smallish wings, and cloven feet.

Well, that was fun! It’s been a while since I’ve used the oldest spread because I feel like I don’t need to “cheat” when I read pips now by having a major to pair with every pip.

I hope you enjoy the glimpses of this deck!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Merrick
Sage

Re: Rachel's DoW 14 Minchiate Etruria

Post by Merrick »

I have this same deck and I also love it, but I always leave out the astrological cards because astrology is a weak spot for me. I LOVE the pips in this deck. They’re the reason I bought it actually. The interlocking swords and batons look so good.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Well, I'm trying to use the signs, but with the help of my trusty Key Words for Astrology book. Yes, I like the realistic swords and batons too. Thanks for checking in!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Sunday
Tea Leaf Spread prediction reading on virus social and economic impacts

This is a predictive spread that combines probability with timing.

Sunday.jpg

Will happen soon - Capricorn, Hanged One, 2 of Cups
People will mostly do what they’re supposed to, but things will remain up in the air. People will feel more compassion for others.

Will happen later - Emperor, Libra
Authorities, governments, will take control and try to balance out the impact on everyone rationally for the most part.

Might happen soon - Aquarius, 2 of Swords
It’s possible that more liberal, more unusual decisions will be made to cope with effects of illness and later impacts. More original but more logical and sensible.

Might happen later - 7 of Cups
Everyone might be emotionally overwhelmed. There might be a sentimental outpouring that might not be all that helpful.

Won’t happen later - 6 of Wands, Sagittarius
Even though things will bet more sensible to deal with the immediate crisis, sensible, intelligent honesty will not win out in the end.

Won’t happen soon - Queen of Swords, Batleur, Hope
We won’t learn (Queen Swords) that we’re being cheated (Batleur). We won’t learn to hope in a higher power’s help. Some will remain hopeless. I use cheated as the meaning for this magician. He looks like he’s cheating gullible children in a card game or cheap magic trick.

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday Why the Who is in the What

Monday.jpg

In the physical realm of health and wealth (Ace of Coins), I am the Knight of Swords again, a INTJ who is very airy, an independent thinker and theory lover, but I am able to express my emotions (3 Cups) because I’m also a Cancer sun. According to Key Words for Astrology, I’m a romantic, poet, and mother who is motivated by both helpfulness and ambition and strives for emotional safety and security. It’s true that in the past I have been quite fearful of anything too intense, but now I think I have emotional safety and security and so can act out my romantic side!

The coin is illustrated with an altar for burnt offerings (not sure what that means) and surmounted with a big crown. A lovely, earthy landscape is below in the distance.

The centaur knight looks like he’s in the throes of battle with his sword raised high and it shield at the ready.

Is that a lion on the 3 Cups? A smiling, curly lion?

And we have a very realistic crab poised above its ocean home, along with a tax stamp for “Etruria.”

I hope you are all doing well this Monday! Stay happy and healthy!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday Why the Who is in the What

I got a call this morning from my gynecologist saying I haven’t had my yearly appointment in long over a year AND that I need to stop taking the HRT soon. I promised I’d go see him when I can and that I’d take the meds every other day. So I thought today’s reading will be about HRT and me.

Tuesday.jpg

(I tried taking the photo with the flash today. I think it worked better.)

The doctor (King of Swords) is taking action (Ace of Wands) to be careful and cautious (9 Wands) about medication side effects because his job is to take care of women (Empress)? I think Empress is actually saying that I know more about how my body reacts to the meds than he does, so I should have a say. But it IS his job to know (Swords) and to exert his authority (King) about whether I should continue to take them.

On to the cards: I really like the wands in this deck: the ace is carved in a lovely leafy pattern and the others are refined, inlaid sticks of several colors with nice knobs on each end.

The king is smiling and holding a very long sword. I don’t think he’s thinking about battle, just showing his authority.

The II card is called the “Grand Duke,” but is a distinctly feminine person, so most of us just make her the Empress (since there is no “Empress” title). She is wearing men’s clothes (I think). She holds a globe and scepter and pats a smiling lion on the head. She looks comfortable and nurturing. Empress enough for me!

I hope you are all well and safe this Tuesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
How can I be in a better mood and have a better day today?

Wednesday.jpg

Look at all the happy cards! I have to act happy, fake it ‘til I make it (Ace of Wands). I should be a creative and receptive person (Queen of Coins). Join my happiness with that of others. Try to be happy with and bring happiness to a group (10 Cups). We can all use a better day! God maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Happiness is always there like the sun behind the clouds. We just have to accept it and live it. I know the answer. I am truly blessed to have what I have and who I have and to be healthy. AND I create my own emotions and mind. I can be happy whenever I want to by being it.

And on to the cards:

10 Cups in two groups of 5. Only the 2 at the bottom have one handle a piece. Hmmm . . .

The Queen gestures gently toward her very large coin, She holds her scepter in the same hand. Seems to have a lot of clothes on.

The Sun shows a loving couple under the sun, so does that lean the meaning toward emotional sunniness? I don’t know if they’re that loving. He’s reaching for her, but she looks like she’s trying to cover herself up. But the sun is seeing it all. Maybe the honesty meaning of the sun?

Have a happy day and beautiful April!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday Why the Who is in the What

Thursday.jpg

Today I will feel (Ace of Cups) that work (Knight of Coins) will be a little overwhelming (10 of Wands), but I will come out of it victorious! Or I will be appreciated for it (Chariot).

Here’s the Chariot I was talking about, and it definitely looks like Victory or Fame, with a naked woman as an allegorical figure. I don’t think anyone could actually drive like that, but I noticed that she definitely has the reins in her hand along with the victory banner.

I love the aces’ lovely large crowns! And the very neoclassical cup/urn.

Here’s the Knight of Coins again. This time I notice he seems quite burdened by his large coin, even though he has plenty of abs to help him hold it up behind his head.

And that’s a lot of wands! Very neatly arranged, but they barely all fit on the card. (The left end of the crossing wand is cut off by the frame.) So overwhelming seems a fitting meaning here.

Well, I hope I’m not too overwhelmed today! I’m actually in a much, much better mood today. We’ll see what work does to me . . .

I hope you all have a cheerful and productive and healthy day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday Why the Who is in the What

Friday.jpg

In the realm of emotions (Ace of Cups), I emotionally identify with my finances, and I’m very happy that I’m in charge of them (King of Cups) and that I have enough to pay for everything with a little left over to save (7 of Coins). I feel like a practical and responsible person and like being responsible for myself (Capricorn).

Today is payday, and I’m looking forward to paying myself with a transfer to savings when all the bills are paid!

It’s fun to look at all the different faces on the different coins. And they’re all different! The king holds his cup with little effort, and he’s in a very casual seated pose. I wonder if that is royal casual clothing too? Ah, the goat-fish. Seems an odd and oddly specific combination for a whole sign of zodiac. This one is very goatish, with long horns and a beard. He has a nicely decorated staff to help him stand upright on land (or is that the surface of the sea?) (with the fishy tail and all) and he has a pet turtle to keep him company.

Have a great Friday! I hope you all stay happy and healthy!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday Why the Who is in the What
Last day with Michie
How will the Tarot Society call go today?

Saturday.jpg

In the intellectual realm (Ace of Swords), we are trying something new (Page of Swords) and won’t be able to completely express what we want to say (4 of Swords). We will get our ideas across, but the emotional contact and content (Water) will be limited.

Well this is very swordsy! I think this is the only page I got this week. He looks like of overwhelmed by the weight or sharpness of his sword. Who doesn’t like a horse sitting on a stool reading a book paired with a resting unicorn. Now THAT’s a 4 of Swords! I also like the water illustration, a majestic sailing ship and the spouting whale below. Certainly gives a different feel that the Ace of Cups, especially in this deck.

See you in the new week with a new deck!

Return to “Week 14 - My Deck of the Week”