This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s Deck of the Week Inversion Tarot

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s Deck of the Week Inversion Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

Hope it’s not too late to join in! I’m working at home starting yesterday, so I have a little extra time to play with cards and share them with you!

My deck this week is the newish U.S. Games Inversion Tarot. It’s one of their tarots in a tin, which are just the right size for a carry deck for me. (The Lo Scarabeo minis are just too small now for my aging eyes!) Plus, they’re in a tin, so easy to carry around! But, now that I’m not going anywhere, including work, it’s living here on my dining room table.

The inversion it that it’s black and white, but with a black background and white lines, so it looks rich somehow even without color. It’s a pips deck with swords that look like swords, which is pretty much all I’m using now, historic repros and newer creations like this. (Except certain decks for certain spreads.)

From the LWB, “The Inversion Tarot is based on and inspired by the artwork created in 1960 by Paul Mathison for the Rolla Nordic Tarot. . . . tarot artist . . . Jody Boginski Barbessi . . . wanted to pay homage to the original deck while updating it . . . . The images have been inverted, some of the anatomical and decorative elements have been refined, and new details have been brought into focus . . . .”

My only quibble is that the cards all have RWS titles. I don’t mind the major titles or “wands” so much, but “pentacles” bugs me. It seems so pretentiously “magickal,” when “coins” will do just fine! ( I used to think the same about “Hierophant” until I saw it is used in a non-esoteric context in Jane Eyre. So now I’m fine with it!) Oh, yes, but knights are “horsemen.”

For my draws of the day, I’m using Mary Greer’s “Why the Who is in the What (and Where)” spread, for which you choose one major, one court, one minor, and one ace. I thought it would be good for deck of the week so you can see a variety of cards.

I did one for yesterday, Monday, which was very auspicious for the beginning of my working at home time, but I forget the minor card.

Monday.jpg

In the realm of physical things (Ace of Coins), I’ll be a hard worker (Knight of Coins) in ???? (forgotten minor) because I have to follow the new rule for my firm (Emperor). I like the Ace showing a brick house: That’s me, the Knight of Coins working in my house!

For today, Tuesday, I got Ace of Coins again! (Well, it’s a 25% chance . . .)

Tuesday (2).jpg

In the realm of the physical, or in my house! (Ace of Coins), I will be self-focused and self-reflective (Queen of Cups), worrying about being confused by the new system (5 of Swords), but all will work out as I figure out how to combine (Temperance) work and life in the same space.

I hope you enjoy the pics (bad lighting and all), and I'll see you here tomorrow!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s Deck of the Week Inversion Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday

Wednesday.jpg

What am I going to do (Ace of Wands) with this extra time because I’m not commuting? I’m in charge of my own emotions and creativity (King of Cups), and I have something to give that needs to manifest in physical form (6 of Coins). Because, even though the situation is bad for the world at large, it’s an opportunity for me. Now is the time to rise up to the next level of my life (Judgment)!

These cards are so sweet and engaging! I life the incorporation of play card symbols in the designs (the US Games Angel Tarot does that too). The courts especially look like playing card face cards. I like the grapes under the king’s throne, too. Soon he will squeeze them into his cup. No diamonds on the coins card though. And the Judgment angel is just what an angel should be. Note the Americanized “judgment.” Many of my tarot society friends here in DC are lawyers or work in the law field, and they say that the RWS British spelling of “judgement” makes them crazy!

Have a happy and healthy day, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday

Thursday.jpg

In the realm of action (Ace of Wands), if I take responsibility for my work (King of Coins), I will be successful and will communicate well (6 Swords) because good communication is one of my strengths. My eyes seemed to focus in on the lion’s tongue.

So apropos to what I’m supposed to be working on right now!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday

Friday.jpg

In the realm of communication (Ace of Swords), I’m going to have to be more active and pro-active (Horseman of Wands), and it’s going to be a struggle (5 Wands) because of the way I have to work and live now (Emperor). (I hate conference calls!) But I have to step up and do my part for my firm and my community (Emperor).

All very fiery and masculine today. (Where’s that Queen of Cups when you need her?) I had to look through about half of the deck to get to an ace today. In earlier days, all the four types of cards were close to the top of the deck. The first card today was the Emperor, so the focus is definitely on him.

Return to “Week 12 - My Deck of the Week”