This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A week with the Folk Cards of Destiny

📆 Choose a deck you want to (re)connect with and share your thoughts and insights!
Jump in ANY TIME.
Forum rules
Very simple. Choose a deck and every day post a reading you do for yourself with that deck.This can be anything from a one-card draw to a full spread of your choosing.

In addition to your reading, you are encouraged (highly encouraged!) to talk about the deck you are using. The object of this is to inspire us to re-connect with new decks, older decks, decks we have not used in a while or just to create a deeper connection to a favourite deck.

Also, it's so interesting to us all to see other decks in use and hear about what your experience is with them.

Jump in any time, just open a thread that includes the name of the deck you are using.
Have Fun!! 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

A week with the Folk Cards of Destiny

Post by Rachelcat »

I’ve gone full circle on this deck. I decided I needed a German-suited deck, so I ordered it. I was disappointed when I saw it was 36 cards, and I didn’t get a divi vibe from it! Then, a Wikipedia article later, I’m into it again. I found out that most German-suited decks are 36 or 32 cards. The suits are acorns (staves, wands, clubs), hearts (cups), leaves (swords, spades), bells (coins, diamonds). It doesn’t have aces, but the 2s (deuces) have taken their place, so the numbered cards are 2, 6-10. (32-card decks leave out the 6 too.) And the courts are all male, including the unter (the suit symbol is at the bottom), ober (the suit symbol is a the top) and king, who has two suit symbols at the top.

Sunday1.jpg

According to the booklet, this deck was published by Dondorf in Frankfurt in the 1870s. (The deuce of hearts has “B. Dondorf, Frankfurt a.M.” at the bottom and a tax stamp at the top.) The deuces portray animals. The numbered cards have various countryish scenes. The booklet has gone off the rails by trying to say the unter is a “standard bearer” in place of an ace. It has the correct suit correspondences as above, and a spread based on “four kingdoms,” which I might try. It has divi meaning for each card, but I think I’m going to try to read the pictures, adding in my canned pips readings as needed. I might deviate from the suit correspondences based on the deuce animals. We’ll see how all that goes!

Time for a shortened interview!

Sunday2.jpg

Strength: 6 Leaves
It’s a social deck, good for friendship and other mundane readings. It’s the pause that refreshes!

Weakness: 6 Acorns
Another 6. It’s not good for relationship romance readings. Or it treats romance as fun or a game instead of as a serious, life-changing experience.

What can I learn from the deck? Ober of Leaves
I can learn to make my readings sharp and to the point. In more ways than one. He’s got spurs, a sword, and a pike, lots of points to make and use!

Outcome of our work together: 6 Hearts
Another 6! I will be cautiously optimistic that I can accomplish something with the deck. But it will take caution and planning. Otherwise, it might bite back!

And I would say with three 6s in four cards, that in general work with the deck will be auspicious and will shed some interesting light on things. (6 = Sun).

Well, that was fun! See you tomorrow with more Folk Cards of Destiny!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: A week with the Folk Cards of Destiny

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
Trying out the “four kingdoms” spread from the booklet. It looks a bit like the Wirth courtroom, but has its own quirks, like “kingdom to be conquered”!
What do I need to know about my part in the wedding preparation?

Monday.jpg

My kingdom: 7 Bells
I have what I need (gun), but it’s not positioned properly yet. I’m innocently gazing into the future, assuming I’ll figure it out eventually. My goat is also just chilling, not ready to move and accomplish something yet.

Allied kingdom: 6 Acorns
Luckily, the happy couple and the rest of the wedding party are doing the real preparations. And it’s going well, so I shouldn’t worry about my part.

Opposing kingdom: 6 Bells
Travel might be a difficult part of the planning. I will have to deal with Dad coming to town. That barrel makes me think maybe alcohol might be a concern . . . Just something to be aware of, I hope.

Neutral kingdom: Ober of Acorns
Potential positive or negative, or advice. I should concentrate on my dress and my appearance. This guy’s fashion is on point!

Kingdom to be conquered: X Bells
Goal I will achieve. I will come off as a proper mother. It will all be happy family. I’m for that! And maybe this is the first step toward grandchildren! (But I promise not to mention it. Don’t want to be than annoying mom!)

All bells and acorns, no leaves or hearts, so I’m thinking the reading is very practical and external, nothing soul-searching or internal. And I’m good with that!

Have a happy Monday the 13th!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
Advice on gift buying, etc. Three cards no positions. Let’s live dangerously!

Tuesday.jpg

6 Hearts, Unter of Bells, 7 of Hearts
At first, it seemed like I didn’t know what I was doing at all, like someone who is trying to rob an eagle’s nest. Not a good idea at all!
Then I felt like I had to just do it! Force it and maybe something would happen. This guy is a very determined hunter, as I should be for gifts. Even the dogs are serious about it. In the end, all will be well and the lion will lie down with the lamb, or at least the dog will chill with the goat. All will be contentment and family togetherness.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! Have a happy evening everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
Will I have an unpleasant reaction to my booster shot? Two cards no positions.

Wednesday.jpg

King of Hearts, 9 Hearts
Nothing that won’t be overcome by good emotions. I will be happy with my friends, so if I feel a little odd, it won’t bother me one bit.

Sounds good to me! Have a happy day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday on Friday
Did we spread any covid at our party on Thursday? Will anyone get sick?

Thursday.jpg

6 Bells, Unter of Acorns, Ober of Hearts
2 people will get sick? Oh, I hope not the drummer of the band! He was visiting from our Richmond office. And another lawyer. That’s not good. And the 6 Bells means it was carried by our office manager, who just got back from a trip to Spain! Travel isn’t good.

Well, I hope none of this is true. They’ll let us know if we were exposed . . .

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
I got another astro oracle because, as much as I like the Heavenly Bodies, it’s just a little too ethereal to use all the time. So I sprang for Starcodes Astro Oracle from Hay House. The box says it’s “boldly illustrated,” so I guess it’s just what I wanted! (“Artwork by Lucas Lua de Souza.”)

All that as preface to a three houses reading! The deck has cards for the four “cardinal points” (otherwise known as the angles?) as well as for houses, so I’m including them. Let’s see what we get!

Friday.jpg

All courts all the time!

Ninth House, Ober of Hearts
I’m starting to go off on a bit of a study exploration of a topic I haven’t explored much before, which I’m really feeling interested about. I’ll be sharp with my two swords!

Eighth House, King of Hearts
When I eventually master the information or subject, it will bring the end of some of my current understandings and ideas.

Ascendant, Ober of Bells
I’m not totally sure the difference between the ascendant and the first house, but here we are. I guess I’ll go with the keyword, and do some research later! The end of something will be the beginning of another. Oh! I will begin to take action that refers to the change I will go through!

This seems very vague, but I kind of know what I mean, and it’s making sense to me, I just am not explaining it very well . . .

Have a happy evening! See you tomorrow for full moon in Gemini reading. Which should be interesting with only 36 cards!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
Full moon in Gemini, Crone Moon

Saturday.jpg

Well this is all oddly balanced. Obers on the right, goatherds on the bottom, and pigs on the left. What does that mean??!

What is brewing in my life? 7 Leaves
The hunter has already gotten his fox and is carrying it home. But he’s looking back as if afraid of what’s behind him. But it’s not stopping him from continuing forward. Hmm. I’ve achieved my goals but I’m not aware of it yet. I’m still looking back at unpleasant things instead of looking forward to enjoying my accomplishments.

What ingredient should I add? X Acorns
The lady goatherd got to the top of the mountain before the goats. What took you so long? She can take care of them and relax at the same time. I should do the same. Work on my responsibilities but don’t overstress about them.

What energy am I using to stir my brew? Ober of Acorns
Confidence, determination, and style!

Counsel from my guides and allies: Ober of Hearts
Be more like the Ober of Hearts than the Ober of Acorns: Less showy and more substantial. Also less self-protective and more properly equipped.

What ingredient should I leave out? 7 Bells
Both “ingredient” cards are (lonely?) goatherds. But this young guy is ignoring his goat and looking far into the distance, perhaps trying to get someone’s attention by waving his hat. I need to be more like the other goatherd, focusing on the earth and my responsibilities, not something far away.

What needs to brew longer? Deuce of Acorns
All the acorn cards in this reading make me think acorns are earth, not fire (staves/wands), especially with all the pigs involved. I need to take the time to realize and let it affect me practically that I have achieved some important goals.

Wisdom from the crone: 9 Acorns
The crone says yes, being grounded in my new reality will be fruitful and multiply more little successes.

Well, that was interesting! This deck has really made me work on reading pictures. And they have seemed to make some kind of sense! I’ll see you on Monday for the Sacred Days of Yule! Please join us if you like!

Return to “This Week's Deck”