This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A week with the Minchiate Tarot, Brian Williams

📆 Choose a deck you want to (re)connect with and share your thoughts and insights!
Jump in ANY TIME.
Forum rules
Very simple. Choose a deck and every day post a reading you do for yourself with that deck.This can be anything from a one-card draw to a full spread of your choosing.

In addition to your reading, you are encouraged (highly encouraged!) to talk about the deck you are using. The object of this is to inspire us to re-connect with new decks, older decks, decks we have not used in a while or just to create a deeper connection to a favourite deck.

Also, it's so interesting to us all to see other decks in use and hear about what your experience is with them.

Jump in any time, just open a thread that includes the name of the deck you are using.
Have Fun!! 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

A week with the Minchiate Tarot, Brian Williams

Post by Rachelcat »

I got this as an exchange gift at our tarot society solstice party yesterday, so it’s this week’s deck! I had it years ago. And I did a deck of the week with a historical repro minchie in 2020. A minchiate is like a regular tarot but with different and extra majors, including the astro signs and elements. The knights are centaurs, and there are female pages for cups and coins. The pips have small odd illustrations on some of them, like a monkey looking in a mirror and Romulus and Remus and their wolf foster mother. This version follows the historical deck pretty closely but with Williams’ more “classical” line drawing illustration style.

Sunday1.jpg

I haven’t taken time to look into the book, but I’ll be sure to do that during the week. But first, wash and shuffle and interview!

Sunday2.jpg

Most important characteristic: Knight of Cups
The deck is mix of many things! You might like it or not, but that’s its most important characteristic! This guy is kind of a mess! Human lion with a fish tail and wings. If the lion is fire, tail is water, wings are air, then human is earth? It’s down to earth, except it’s hard to figure that out!

Strength: Prudence
She’s as wise as a serpent and self-reflective, too. The deck provides a way to reflect and understand things in a practical way. Also, it’s better than a regular tarot because the fourth cardinal virtue is right here, not hidden in the World card!

Weakness: Eight of Swords
Three eights in a six-card reading. That’s gotta mean something? I would say that the deck’s weakness is that it is VERY intellectual. To me it’s very airy, and the book looks like an art history lesson. Which is fine, but it can be a weakness when practical advice is needed.

What can I learn? Eight of Staves
The deck can teach ways of planning ahead. It’s a good deck for advice as in what to do in the future. I love the delicate roses! Or are they tulips?

How can I learn it? Two of Coins
I can learn about planning by realizing that you have to take into account adding and subtracting. Doing and not doing. Sometimes deciding to do nothing is doing something.

Outcome of our work together: Eight of Coins
So the Eight of Staves will get crossed with the Two of Coins and we’ll get the Eight of Coins. The result is some actual learning will happen, real facts about real things will come to light.

That’s it for now! See you tomorrow with more minchie!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: A week with the Minchiate Tarot, Brian Williams

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
The book has three spreads, the Celtic Cross, 12 houses, and a tetractys by Tom Little. They’re all a little bit too big for me today, so I’m going to do the three houses drawn randomly.

Monday.jpg

Fifth House, Eight of Coins
In order to have fun and enjoy the holiday, I need to plan my gift-giving!

Fourth House, The Wheel of Fortune
And I’m going to have to deal with changes in tradition, too.

Second House, Seven of Staves
I will enjoy shopping even though it will be a challenge, stressful, or energy-consuming.

Didn’t know it would be about holiday gifts, but it turned out that way!

Have a happy Monday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday on Wednesday
Why the who is in the what?

Tuesday.jpg

Ace of Staves, Queen of Staves, Two of Cups, Pisces
I’m making an effort (Staves) to perfect my relationship skills (Cups and Queen) because I have no idea what Pisces means! Let’s see, using Key Words for Astrology, because it’s a spiritual imperative. Or because I want to be better than I am and I really want to help people.

Well, I guess I’ll take it!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
The back window of my car shattered last night. Will replacing my car window tomorrow go well?

Wednesday.jpg

A good thing about it: Temperance
It will go about as well as expected. The good and the bad will be about even. We’ll go with the flow.

A bad thing about it: The Fool
I’ve never done this before, so I’ll ask dumb questions. But that might be the way to get it right!

Final outcome: Five of Coins
It will cost more than I expect, and I will be huffy about it.

Well, let’s see if that’s how it goes tomorrow! See you then!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
Rachel’s Serenity Prayer Spread

Thursday.jpg

Lots of coins (especially if we include Prudence) and lots of queens and lots of virtues. Let’s see what that gets us!

Something I can’t change: Two of Cups
No matter what happens, I have to deal with people. And I want to, I’m just not that good at it.

How do I accept it? Queen of Swords
I can be no-nonsense and sensible and also connected to people.

A gift of serenity: 17. Prudence
If I do everything I can to be prepared for and careful, then there’s no need to worry. That’s serenity!

Something I should change: Five of Coins
The poor you shall have with you always. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to do something about it.

How do I change it? Queen of Staves
Take compassionate action.

A gift of courage: 16. Hope
When there’s life there’s hope. We might not be able to solve all the world’s problems, but we can always to something to help. Brighten the corner where you are.

The difference: Two of Coins
It takes the two from the Two of Cups and the coins from the Five of Coins. So the difference is it’s not five and it’s not cups. Money isn’t always about lack (Five of Coins). Sometimes it’s about exchange instead. It’s like there’s plenty of food in the world to feed everybody many times over. The challenge is the distribution, whether because of money or transportation or whatever.

How do I recognize it? Queen of Coins
The third queen. I need to be compassionate but also practical. There’s only so much you can do by throwing money at the problem. Often a system change is necessary.

A gift of wisdom: 18. Faith
You can’t just act and hope for the best. You have to plan and believe in your plan. And then act.

Well, interesting focus today. The queens have a lot to say. As do the non-tarot virtues! Have a great day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
What do I need to know about next week?
Elemental Star

Friday.jpg

Physically: Ace of Coins
I’ll take the two aces at the “foundation” as auspicious, especially coins in the earth position. Physically, everything will turn out well. I’ll spend money and buy gifts. Which is what I want to do.

Emotionally: Handmaid of Coins
Lots of coins again today! And she’s earth of earth, too! I’ll be emotionally focused on getting the right thing for the right person. I will be invested in getting the right gift, but I’ll be practical, too.

Intellectually: Three of Coins
Manifestation of the physical. I’ll be emotionally AND intellectually focused on physical gifts. I’ll want to pile them up and see the pile get bigger until I have all of them!

Energetically: Ace of Cups
All this earthy stuff is based in a desire to let people know I care about them.

Spiritually: Five of Staves
And in my non-shopping hours, I’ll be continuing to read and learn about philosophical arguments for and against the existence of gods.

Sounds like a great week! I’m looking forward to it! Have a happy Friday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
Last day for Minchiate Tarot
This weekend
First part of Celtic cross

Saturday.jpg

Very swordsy this time. Let’s see what we’ve got.

Me: 11. Time (equivalent to Hermit)
Yep, I’m old. I’m letting my perception of being old stand in the way of what I want to do, really. And my perception and assertion that I’m an introvert. Need to let most of that go, too.

Cover: 13. Death
And this is saying that, starting today, many of my defaults and self-perceptions will be ended.

Cross: Queen of Swords
Well, I hope this isn’t a specific person who will be crossing or going against me. Let’s say, similar to Time and Death, that I’m hurting myself by being a passive (aggressive?) intellectual, living in my head, but not really living at all!

Crown: Ten of Cups
This is definitely my goal: a happy family, extended family, or group, with everybody getting along and full of happiness and good will!

Beneath: Four of Swords
Here’s that monkey looking in a mirror. With a unicorn to boot! I’ve thought things through. I’ve gone about as far as I can go intellectually on my own.

Behind: And here’s Romulus and Remus and the wolf mother! Pretty much same as the four. I’ve studied and learned and drunk in the wisdom of my predecessors. Time to move on.

Before: King of Swords
I’ll meet someone who will intrigue me and spur me to new interests and new learning! One can hope, I guess!

Well, I wasn’t expecting all those swords, so I can’t wait to see what happens!

Have a great weekend! I’ll be back tomorrow with a new deck!

Return to “This Week's Deck”