This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A week with the Gaian Tarot

📆 Choose a deck you want to (re)connect with and share your thoughts and insights!
Jump in ANY TIME.
Forum rules
Very simple. Choose a deck and every day post a reading you do for yourself with that deck.This can be anything from a one-card draw to a full spread of your choosing.

In addition to your reading, you are encouraged (highly encouraged!) to talk about the deck you are using. The object of this is to inspire us to re-connect with new decks, older decks, decks we have not used in a while or just to create a deeper connection to a favourite deck.

Also, it's so interesting to us all to see other decks in use and hear about what your experience is with them.

Jump in any time, just open a thread that includes the name of the deck you are using.
Have Fun!! 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

A week with the Gaian Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

This is a popular deck that’s been around for a while. I have the original full deck indie edition and the Llewellyn edition (with the incorrect title Emperor instead of Builder). I don’t have the newer Schiffer edition (with the unpleasing (to me) powder blue borders and titles). Oh, I also have the Fool’s Dog app! (I thought I would use the app to do readings with the book entries someday. Not that I have.) I’ll be using the Llewellyn edition this week.

Sunday1.jpg

I like decks that show contemporary people and scenes like this one. And I like the photo-realistic artwork. Is it weird to like that many of the illustrations subtly (or not so subtly) cross over into the white borders?

I read somewhere that the deck is very “middle class,” in a disapproving way. That turned me off of it for a while, but you know what? I’m pretty hopelessly middle class myself. I guess it’s made for people like me, so I might as well enjoy it!

Suits are fire, water, air, earth. Courts are Child, Explorer, Guardian, Elder, and are not gendered. Majors are somewhat renamed (Emperor to Builder, etc.). The book has, for majors, a short phrase, a description of the scene, “when you get this card in a reading,” “when you read the Shadow side of this card,” themes, symbols, journal questions, and affirmations. For minors, it has a description of the scene, “when you get this card in a reading,” “when you read the Shadow side of this card,” and affirmations. (I was thinking it had affirmation only for the majors. So I might be using the affirmations this week. We’ll see.)

In the meantime, on to the interview!

Sunday2.jpg

Most important characteristic: Five of Air
It’s good a portraying argument and intellectual conflict. These eagles aren’t afraid to have their say!

Strength: Ten of Fire
The deck is full of energy. It can trigger a crisis that will eventually lead to growth, like a forest fire can be a restart for life in the forest.

Weakness: Ace of Water
I don’t really connect with salmon and fish eggs! The deck is better at showing thought and energy than emotion?

What can I learn from the deck? Elder of Air
Well, this is all very court-heavy! I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a king and queen side by side in an interview before . . . I can learn that I’m not done my tarot learning. I can still get something useful from the book and the deck.

How can I learn it? Guardian of Air
By being open to learning. And sometimes we learn best by teaching. Teaching is being a guardian, passing information along with some added personal touches!

Outcome of our work together: Explorer of Water
I’ll fall in love with modern, new agey tarot again. The deck will take me places I haven’t been for a while.

Sounds good to me! Happy to start it this week! Have a great Sunday!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: A week with the Gaian Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
What do I need to know about giving Christmas presents this year?
Elemental star

Monday.jpg

Physically: 9. The Hermit
I need to do the shopping on my own. Online shopping again this year, even if there are fewer quarantine restrictions.

Emotionally: Nine of Air
I’ll feel like it’s a nightmare. And if I don’t end up with what I really want to give, it will be my own fault.

Intellectually: Eight of Air
I just have to make a plan and stick to it. List time! In order to push through the worries and doubts.

Energetically: Seven of Air
Planning will be the key to making me more comfortable with what I accomplish and will be what I put my energy into. If I follow the plan, I won’t get lost.

Spiritually: 21. Gaia the World
All will turn out ok, like it does every year. The important thing is to give with an open and joyous heart, not how wonderful the gift is! And just try to make people smile. I can do that!

Have a happy Monday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday on Wednesday
Am I finally getting into the groove with tutoring?
All-Purpose Spread

Tuesday.jpg

Me: Six of Earth
I’ve got the physical aspects of it down: commuting, showing up, etc.

Tutoring: Nine of Earth
This is a self-portrait of the author-artist, Joanna. The job needs a little more from me than just showing up, but it’s still a big part of it. Maybe I need to show that I’m enjoying it!

Outcome: 0. The Seeker
The tutoring gig will lead me to someplace I really don’t expect. A new direction or maybe just a new way of seeing things . . .

Advice: Elder of Water
In the meantime, I should be a leader, but a friendly, nurturing one. It’s ok to act like the oldest person there because I am! But concentrate on encouraging!

All this makes perfect sense. But I’m really wondering about what the Seeker might really mean!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
An affirmation for the rest of today!

Wednesday.jpg

Seven of Air: I make my plans but leave room for serendipity.
This makes sense for today! I’ve been so focused on parties and activities starting this Saturday that I never even considered when I’m going into the office. So when I found out I have a ride for tomorrow, I took it! So far I’m following my affirmation!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday on Wednesday
Going into the office tomorrow, so I might as well get ahead of the game.
Opportunity Challenge Resolution. Even though I use it all the time, this spread was created for this deck, or at least by the deck’s author-artist.

Thursday.jpg

Opportunity: Four of Earth
I have the opportunity to make some money and hold onto it. Or, I know, hit my weight goals! NOT hold onto it, but hold onto health and comfort!

Challenge: Four of Air
The way to do that is to change my mind. Most of budgeting and weight maintenance is in the mind. I know that for sure. I need to focus my mind, guard it from distraction, like the nest cradles the eggs. I also need to guard my mind from negative news and politics. Maybe that will help keep me from stress eating and spending, too.

Resolution: 7. The Canoe
The connection between body and mind is “just do it.” Don’t look back. Take forward-focused action to achieve my goals.

Great advice. I’m on it!

Have a great Wednesday and Thursday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
I’ve been really resisting doing my deck of the week readings. This is SO META, but! Should I continue reading every day? Or should I finish off 2021 and be done? (I could still do a once-a-week deck interview, I guess . . .)
How about Wirth’s courtroom spread? It seems to work for me for tarot-related questions . . . But then I have to decide if the for and against are for and against continuing or ending!

Friday.jpg

Prosecution (against continuing daily readings): 4. The Emperor (Builder)
Just because I’ve done it in the past isn’t a very good reason to continue. There’s no need to force it. There’s no law requiring it!

Defense (for continuing daily readings): Ten of Water
The readings aren’t just for me, they’re for others on the forum. I don’t get many replies, but I do get reads! Maybe it would be better to make them less about me and more about common topics? More “wisdom readings”?

Judge, advice: Nine of Water
But I still need to do what feels right to me. (Little Temperance) Maybe the weekly instead of daily is the happy medium here. Maybe an interview and one in-depth reading each week?

Sentence, outcome: Eight of Water
Wow, a water run! I will make a plan that feels right and will be able to stick to that.

Summary, most important issue: 4+10+9+8=31=4. Emperor (Builder)
I am totally at liberty to create the “should” in my life. But once I do, I “should” stick to them!

Wow, this reading really worked! I still have to decide, but I sure got plenty of good advice!

I’ll see you tomorrow with new moon and solar eclipse readings!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
New moon in Sagittarius, Crone Moon, Deep Wisdom

Saturday1.jpg

What is brewing in my life? Elder of Earth
I’m dealing with being in charge of my health and money. I’m taking care of supply and demand, providing nourishment and shelter to myself and others.

What ingredients should I add? Explorer of Earth
I need to add a bit of a younger, more open vibe. I can still be in charge and be open to learning something about all that.

What energy am I using to stir this brew? 8. Strength
Necessity is the mother of invention! I have to take care of myself, so I am. I was always the stable provider for the family anyway. But now I have to provide and organize. I also want to hug a lioness! Flower crown optional.

Counsel from my guides and allies: Eight of Fire
I’m doing fine on this front. Just make a plan and do it!

What ingredient should I leave out? Seven of Fire
Taking care of myself doesn’t need to include keeping other people down. It’s not a zero sum game. I don’t have to enjoy the competition. I should enjoy the cooperation!

What needs to brew longer? Explorer of Water
It’s ok if I focus on physical issues at this time. Emotional ones will come forward when I’m ready to deal with them.

Wisdom from the Crone: Two of Earth
Everything is a balancing act! Income and outlay, calories in and out, etc. If I keep that in mind, I will be a good enough Elder of Earth.

Solar Eclipse, Threshold

Saturday2.jpg

Earth, my current outlook: 10. The Wheel
Right now, I’m just going with the flow. Anything can happen, and I’m ok with that.

Moon, what threshold is before me? Elder of Water
True emotional maturity is available and will come to me naturally.

Sun, the new path through the portal: 16. Lightning
After I go through some stuff! Do I have to have another crisis before I’m whole? Is that really necessary?

A message from the earth: 15. Bindweed
It is if I want to truly free myself from bonds self-imposed and imposed by others in the past.

A message from the cosmos: Five of Air
I need to fight to get over old understandings and come to new ones. Don’t be afraid of conflict when it comes to moving on to the next step in my life.

Well, I wasn’t expecting that! But it kind of links with the Explorer of Water in the previous reading. Emotional resolution is coming. It won’t be fun, but it will be for the best. I hope so!

Have a happy weekend, everyone! See you tomorrow with a new deck!

Return to “This Week's Deck”