This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A week with the Way Jodorowsky Explained Tarot to his Cat

📆 Choose a deck you want to (re)connect with and share your thoughts and insights!
Jump in ANY TIME.
Forum rules
Very simple. Choose a deck and every day post a reading you do for yourself with that deck.This can be anything from a one-card draw to a full spread of your choosing.

In addition to your reading, you are encouraged (highly encouraged!) to talk about the deck you are using. The object of this is to inspire us to re-connect with new decks, older decks, decks we have not used in a while or just to create a deeper connection to a favourite deck.

Also, it's so interesting to us all to see other decks in use and hear about what your experience is with them.

Jump in any time, just open a thread that includes the name of the deck you are using.
Have Fun!! 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

A week with the Way Jodorowsky Explained Tarot to his Cat

Post by Rachelcat »

Yes, that’s the name! Curiosity killed this cat. I just had to have this in my hands to see what it was all about. It’s a Nice little slip box with a slim paperback book and a cartoon cat majors-only deck.

Jodorowsky is known in the tarot world as the author of The Way of Tarot. In the larger world, he is known as an avant-garde filmmaker and graphic novel collaborator.

The shtick of this kit is that Jodorowsky’s cat, Kazan, whispered tarot secrets to him as he slept, and the man, in turn, explained tarot back to the cat. According to the foreword, The Way of Tarot describes a scene in which Kazan knocked a deck of cards onto the floor at just the right time for Jodo to have an illumination about the minors.

In the book, each major is interpreted in the first person by the cat featured in the card, followed by a string of keywords under “If you have drawn this card, it could mean.”

The card titles are a strange mixture of Waite and Marseilles. I’m guessing that’s an artifact of the Lo Scarabeo translation. I’m not sure what language the book was written in or if there are other language versions out there . . . ? Anyway, this version is all English, book and cards.

They’re not the cutest cat cards I’ve seen, but they do have a feline charm! Maybe I’ll like them even better after I hear their stories from their own mouths.

Sunday1.jpg

Sunday2.jpg

I’m not sure how I’m going to read with this over the week. Maybe just a card of the day with a shortened version of the card cat’s story? We’ll see. But first, the interview! Wash and shuffle!

Sunday3.JPG

Strength: VIII. Justice
The deck is a good balance of whimsy and serious tarot. It does justice to the Marseille tradition, even though it’s cats!

Weakness: VII. The Chariot
But it’s kind of a one trick pony. There’s really nowhere to go from here. It’s pretty much all on the surface. Also, being meta, the animals on regular cards (horses here, the lion, the dog on the Fool, etc.) are also cats. It’s kind of strange to see cats driving cats. (In other cat decks, the Chariot’s horses are dogs!)

What can I learn from deck: VII. The Hanged Man
Well, it’s a cat. Just sayin. And what is he dropping? It’s not like he has pockets . . . ? No clue on that in the book, but a very interesting and deep take on how this card can apply to a cat. I’ll save it for a card of the day if it comes up. For the reading, I can learn to be patient. The deck can teach me interesting, deep things if I take my time with it.

Outcome of our work together: XVII. The Star
I like the star inside her chest. She’s glowing from within. Our work together will be a blessing to both of us, and from both of us to the world, poured out in two vases. The work will be sweet and light and optimistic. I’m good with that for this week!

Have a very happy Sunday, everyone!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: A week with the Way Jodorowsky Explained Tarot to his Cat

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
Card of the day

Monday.jpg

XVI. The Tower
The tree is struck by lightning. One kitty is trying very hard to land on his feet. The other is eagerly yet calmly moving on to a better place. Let’s see what the book says.

The cats’ story is that they were pampered but never allowed outside, until an explosion set them free. Yes, they have it harder because they have to survive on their own, but they are also able to enjoy freedom and autonomy and struggle. “By the power of heaven and earth, the disaster made it clear that the world is our ally.”

A very positive take on the Tower for sure! Have a happy Monday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wow, well I know what the Tower was all about yesterday! I got more information on my tutoring schedule, and I’ve been worrying over it and trying to make it work with my work schedule for a whole day now! So many things are about to change for me, and it’s a good change, but I’m not good with change and uncertainty, so Tower!

On to a card for today. Hopefully not the Tower again, even though the schedule thing isn’t settled yet!

Tuesday.jpg

XV. The Devil
Uh oh. Let’s get all the pretty cards out of the way, huh? The devil is a chimera cat, orange and black. He has horns, but I can’t see his tail. The poor enchained cats seem pretty sad, even though they have horns too. Exploding volcano, red hot lava, and a firecracker-like wand complete the picture. Oh, and it’s blue-black tongue!

What’s this cat’s story in the book? He is tempting the enchained cats to sell their souls to him in order to be able to do all kinds of nasty cat stuff, and even to become gambling murderous humans! Pretty ugly! But I don’t think they’ll go for it. They don’t want to be bad, they just want to be themselves, and that includes getting along with their humans. Mostly.

BTW, the cards don’t track with the book. The book mentions that he’s all black and has bat wings and hooves. (And for the Tower, the book said it was a castle, and the card showed a tree.) But they’re still pretty cute. Although I would like to see this cat with bat wings!

I hope this means I will be tempted by something but will stay true to myself today. That’s what I’m going with!

Have a happy day, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
New moon in Libra, Harvest Moon, Gratitude

Wednesday.jpg

Harvest: World
This is a time when I can have it all! I felt this yesterday. I really have a lot of things I’m involved with, and that’s a good thing for me!

What did I sow? Hierophant
I sowed learning and ideas.

What did I reap? Emperor
And I reaped action.

What did I learn? Sun
I learned that giving really does benefit the giver.

What should I plan for next? Hanged Man
I can’t expect things to continuing changing for the better at this current pace! The routines I’m establishing now might start to feel like a slog later, but that’s ok. They’re really all for the best. And an opportunity to adjust routines if they’re not.

Short and sweet because I’m in the office today! Have a happy day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Lots of catching up! This has been a wild week!

Thursday
Card of the day

Thursday.jpg

XXI. World
I like the kitty angel, but why a horse instead of a bull? And he’s a dark horse, literally and that he doesn’t have a halo. What’s his story? That’s a serious wreath, very dense.

Thursday was a very busy day, and other day proving that my world is the process of totally changing. More like a wheel of fortune that the World, but maybe the World is to say that that all the changes are for the good and are bringing me closer to a generally good outcome for me.

Let’s see what the book says. It points out that the World is the opposite of the Fool, from having nothing to having everything, everything in oneself. That everything includes health, wisdom, morality, and altruism. I hope I’m on the track to all that!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday on Saturday
Card of the day

Friday.jpg

XIV. Temperance
I like this dynamic Temperance kitty up on a cloud with his golden wings and gold and silver jugs. Full of movement but stable.

Yesterday was a transitional day, more like my usual work at home days but also going on the metro to feed the cats. Nothing changes completely. New times include pieces of the old, if only in memories. I’m blending my life into a new, better mixture.

Book cat says s/he is a guardian angel, protecting and advancing earthly cats. Everyone could use a little guarding and helping sometimes!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
Last day with Jodo’s Cat
How about opportunity, challenge, resolution?

Saturday.jpg

Opportunity: IV. Emperor
He’s got the world on a string. It looks like a cup and ball game, but with a light saber! He looks very self-satisfied, and confident that he can easily and positively rule over his subjects in the background. I have an opportunity to be in charge of my life and maybe even lead in some things.

Challenge: I. The Magician
But I have to beware of leading by deception or just plain MISleading people, or someone misleading me. There’s a big difference between influencing someone to act for their own good and taking advantage of them! This cat brings out all the negative sides of the Magician: plausibility leading to deception, gambling, obsession with material things, insider trading, etc. I might be tempted to take an unfortunate risk.

Resolution: XV. Devil
The resolution is to be aware of the difference between power to help and power to take advantage. The Emperor is a benevolent dictator, the Magician a false friend. You might think one is oppressing you and the other giving you something for nothing, but the Devil just laughs because he has the knowledge of good and evil. If you choose poorly, you might end up chained in his lava chamber.

Well, I’ve certainly spun a tale here! I don’t quite know if it’s helpful to me, but we’ll see if it makes sense as I go through the day!

Thanks for playing along with the kitties this week. I’ll be back tomorrow with ROBOTS!!! Have a happy weekend!

Return to “This Week's Deck”