This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A week with the Primordial Tarot

📆 Choose a deck you want to (re)connect with and share your thoughts and insights!
Jump in ANY TIME.
Forum rules
Very simple. Choose a deck and every day post a reading you do for yourself with that deck.This can be anything from a one-card draw to a full spread of your choosing.

In addition to your reading, you are encouraged (highly encouraged!) to talk about the deck you are using. The object of this is to inspire us to re-connect with new decks, older decks, decks we have not used in a while or just to create a deeper connection to a favourite deck.

Also, it's so interesting to us all to see other decks in use and hear about what your experience is with them.

Jump in any time, just open a thread that includes the name of the deck you are using.
Have Fun!! 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

A week with the Primordial Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

This is another Lo Scarabeo reprint of a deck they published in the 80s-90s. This primitive/ prehistory-themed deck was previously published as the Tarot of the Origins, a “D’Arte” majors-only version in 1989, followed by a full deck in 1992. I had both at one time and traded them away long ago. The new version (2020), like the other reprints, has more artistic borders allowing more space for the art, along with the nice two piece box with shiny bits, an attractive multilingual booklet, and better backs.

Sunday1.jpg

This is an interesting deck, interp-wise. The suit cards are somewhat monochrome color-coded:
Nature (wands), green, bone scepter
Soul (cups), blue, jar
Blood (swords), red, spear point
Jewels (coins), yellow, gold pendant
(Majors are full color and black-bordered.)

Even more interesting is that the numbers have invented keywords:
1. Etching
2. Age
3. Mask
4. Bones
5. Stone
6. Rite
7. Era
8 Spirit
9. Birth
10. Environment
11. Child
12. Animal
13. Woman
14. Man
So, while we have recognizable court cards, 11-14, and possibly aces, the other numbered cards don’t really track with any RWS, GD, or Marseille interps. Hey, it was the wild and wooly 90s, a time of great tarot experimentation!

And possibly the most interesting of all is that Barbara Moore has written the booklet for this new edition, which combines the number and suit keywords into card meanings, for example, the 6 of spear points as the Rite of Blood.

In my readings this week, I’m going to try to do the combinations for myself before resorting to the booklet, but we’ll see how that goes . . . Well, let’s see how far I get in the interview! After a thorough wash and shuffle . . .

Sunday2.jpg

Most important characteristic: Child of Jewels
Earth of earth. This deck is all about the art, the physical presence of the deck. And the beauty and creativity thereof.

Strength: Mask of Jewels
Same as above. The deck’s strength is that it’s a physical creation. And, as a mask, it’s a particular lens or specific way to look at its theme of early humanity, as a visual and physical object, not just a concept.
The creator is very proud of his creation that he holds up for us to approve.

Weakness: Age of Soul
The deck doesn’t follow very closely a tradition (age) that some may think of as spiritual (soul). It might be (and was for me in its prior iterations) over our heads, and therefore perhaps not worth the learning curve.
The aged face looks down smugly to his questioner, who seems to be genuinely and reverently asking (he’s prepared with a formal robe and headdress), but that doesn’t mean he’s going to get a useful answer.

What the deck can teach me: XV. The Demon
I was just reading an excerpt from Carl Sagan’s The Demon-Haunted World, and here’s the demon himself! (I’m reading The Portable Atheist, ed. Christopher Hitchens.) I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the deck, along with the stuff I’m reading, can teach me that religion and spirituality are all about power, for good or ill. Sagan mentioned Socrates’ personal demon, who was benign and even helpful, before launching into a history of more orthodox ideas of demons, including fallen angels, witch persecutions, etc.
The power dynamics are really revealed in this deck’s theme. This is obviously a man wearing a wooden demon mask, but when he does, he and his viewers believe he has the power of a demon, again for good or ill. I’m not explaining myself very well, but I know what I mean . . . !

How I can learn it: Child of Soul
Earth of water. I can learn about the relation of spirit to power by keeping an open mind and following my feelings. Without preconceived ideas, I can follow where my feelings take me to a broader truth than just agreeing or disagreeing with what I read.

Outcome of our work together: X. Time
Only time will tell! Or more likely, this work is going to take some time, probably more than a week.
(This is the source image for the backs.) Interesting take on the wheel. Early humans would definitely see time a more of a cycle than an arrow, with the repetition of the days, months, and seasons as the only form of measurement they could see. Obviously, they suffered the vagaries of chance, but trusted in the certainty of repeating cycles.

Well, all very interesting! I look forward to more readings with this deck. And there are two spreads in the booklet I want to try! Have a happy Sunday, all!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: A week with the Primordial Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
I reengineered (of course!) one of the spreads in the booklet. This is what I came up with.

Stone Circle Spread

7-------4
6-------5

1. The question, issue, or heart of the situation
2. The cause or foundation of the situation
3. Your attitude toward the situation
4. The likely outcome if nothing changes or no action is taken
5. Action to take for a better outcome. Do this.
6. Action to avoid for a better outcome. Don’t do this.
7. How to avoid repeating unhelpful actions in the future

How can I get a better attitude toward going back to the office?

Monday.jpg

Issue: Era of Jewels
To everything there is a season, including mundane things like going into the office. When the time comes, I have to go with the times. Enforced by the skull. When some things end, other things begin. Staying home will end; going to the office will begin.

Foundation: Rite of Jewels
I love her tattoos, but that headdress looks really uncomfortable. I guess that’s what rites are all about. You do them whether they’re easy or not. I think the rite is that I have to make an appearance whether it contributes to or hinders my efficiency. Getting the work done isn’t the issue. Following the rules and showing up is.

My attitude: Birth of Nature
Not sure why 9 is birth and not 1 . . . It is definitely going to be the beginning/birth of a new routine for me. It’s going to uproot the way I’ve been putting energy into (nature/wands/fire) my life for the last year and a half.

Outcome: Woman of Jewels
Water of earth. I will conform (water) to the way things have to be, the plain physical requirement.

Do: XVIII. The Moon
The moon looks very similar to the gold pendant of the jewel suit, which predominates here! I should use my auto-suggestion and imagination to psych myself up for this. I can visualize how it will be or how it should be, and how I can adjust my routine to be even better. I should fake it ‘til I make it.

Don’t do: XI. Creative Power (Strength)
I shouldn’t go through with it by forcing myself or just pushing through. It’s not the right time to be resigned to it or just do it. I should try to convince myself of the advantages, as above.

Avoid negative pattern: Age of Blood
I should avoid rationalizing my unwillingness by saying that because I’m old, it’s hard for me to adjust. Since I must adjust, I should be thinking I CAN adjust. Nothing is good or bad but thinking makes it so. Another skull to show that change is simply one thing ending and another beginning.

Interesting that the 2 advice cards are the 2 majors. That’s helpful because the meanings are much clearer than the minors! I’m still stumbling around with those, but I’m getting there! Happy Labor Day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
New moon in Virgo, Abundance

Tuesday.jpg

The abundance I seek: Mask of Blood
I have to work to create my own abundance. And I’m a knowledge worker (swords).

My relationship to abundance: XVII. The Star
I know I’m blessed and I’m grateful for it. I know that there but for the grace of god go I. Primitive people got fire from a fortuitous striking of rocks together, but they soon figured out and made a reliable technology of it. I’ve done the same by capitalizing on my good fortune.

How can I be more open to abundance? Animal of Nature
The animal is a chimp, one of the smartest species out there! I can be more open by being smart about it, and, as I said, following up on my good fortune with good management.

An obstacle in my path: Birth of Soul
No clue on birth of soul, so I’m going with 9 of Cups. And obstacle to abundance can be wishing for it but not working for it. And getting what you want but not appreciating that you have it already. Maybe that’s the birth of soul: being thankful. Even when your success is self-caused, it’s still good to be thankful!

How can I clear the obstacle? Bones of Jewels
Jewels and gold are only valuable when people value them. Otherwise they’re worthless rocks. That’s the bones (basic truth) of jewels. These statues don’t care that they’re wearing jewels, but the people who dressed them do care. So I should value what is of value to me, not necessarily what’s of value to other people.

What is my motivation? Rite of Jewels
Again I’m going to go with 6 of Coins. I want to have enough for myself and enough to share. Maybe like this woman is doing the ritual for herself and for others.

How can I align my motivation with my higher self? XIV. The Source
What a lovely Temperance! I understand that primitive people might not have gotten the idea of the happy medium. It seems like they were living in an all-or-nothing kind of world. Here, the goddess is the source of life because she combines life-giving water and food-giving earth. She waters the earth and the plants and animals it provides. This is saying I’m on the right track with wanting abundance not just for myself. But I have to balance the having enough for me and having enough to share.

A step I can take to manifest my desire: III. The Mother
More beautiful goddesses, a statue and a living mother goddess. I can consider people as family and try to mother them. Even though I’m a Cancer sun, I don’t really identify as the motherly type, but I am the “family is very important” type, so I can do that!

Outcome that will manifest my abundance: Age of Soul
If I manage my abundance properly, and share it well, I’ll have a happy and soulful old age! Looking at the illustration, it looks like the face is a judging god, so I won’t have anything to regret when it’s my time to go.

Well, that was long, but it all seemed to hang together! Have a lovely day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
How will the rehearsal dinner plans work out?

Wednesday.jpg

Me: Rite of Soul
Just looking at the illustration: I’m confused now and trying to figure it out by concentrating on the issue. But I know it will all work out in time (the moon). Or at least I hope it will!

Issue: V. The Shaman
There’s more to the issue than I think. People will be expecting certain “traditional” things and/or will compare me with others, and they will judge me for not living up to their expectations. It’s not just a dinner, it’s a mother-in-law test for me.

Outcome: Man of Blood
All will turn out well if I take charge and micro manage all the details. I will be forced to be fierce in my dealings with the restaurant.

Advice: Environment of Soul
I should be aware of potential disaster (the lightning in the distance) but maintain my equilibrium and calm. I have the resources to do this inside me. All will be well. If I keep my eyes open.

Have a happy Wednesday1

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
This is a spread from the booklet. What you want. What you don’t want. That’s it! I think it’s supposed to go with a question, but let’s try it without!

Thursday.jpg

Huh! Two court cards! Let’s figure this out.

What I want: Woman of Jewels
What I want is to be a real woman. Not necessarily feminine. Or an ideal woman. But a real one. Not only have the “feminine” attributes, but live them. Be a strong woman in a womanly way. This woman on the card is just that. She’ beautiful and feminine but she’s also very strong. You can tell she means business, whatever her business might be.

What I don’t want: Man of Soul
I want to be a woman, but not because I want a man to complete a couple! I need to face facts and know that I don’t want a man at all, no matter how “soulful” a random man may be. This guy looks like he’s someone who embraces his suffering as a sensitive person. So what I don’t want!

Well, this turned out to be kind of silly, but it’s actually freeing to say out loud that I don’t want, and definitely don’t NEED any man in my life. Except my son. And MAYBE my knuckleheaded brother.

I hope you have a lovely evening!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday on Saturday
I visited my mom yesterday, so catching up now!
A general five elements spread, a card from each suit.

Friday.jpg

Earth: Era of Jewels
What we consider beautiful or beautifying is a function of our era or time. There aren’t many people today who would wear or enjoy seeing someone wear a full sized skull attached to his or her ear. Although I’m sure that there are some today who would love it! A thing of beauty is not a joy forever because concepts of beauty change over time.

Water: Era of Soul
The same goes for emotions. We can assume prehistoric and early historic people had some emotions similar to ours, but many were probably different. This young woman is feeling a strong emotion, but it is difficult to guess what that is. It looks like she’s making a desperate determination to act on something, but maybe not. And why? Maybe she has to do something drastic to obtain the coveted moon pendant she’s visualizing so well for us.

Air: Spirit of Blood
Speaking of determination! A hunter must be determined and hardened to kill a beast much stronger and more powerful than himself. And he can’t have any empathy for the animal. His empathy must all be for his hungry family at home. For the time of the hunt, he has to be possessed of the spirit of destruction. Even though he knows, especially from the evidence of the blood that he spills, that that he and the animal have much more in common than not.

Fire: Child of Nature
Here’s the flip side to a life nasty, brutish, and short. Our primitive ancestors participated fully, not only in the death and destruction, but also in the beauty and pleasure, of the natural world. Its life was their life. When I was young, I felt a kind of existential angst about human destruction of the environment, but then I read “you are a child of the universe,” and I realized humans are part of the environment, but a part that has a responsibility to fit in as a neutral or beneficial thereto.

Spirit: 0. The Fool
What foolish, crazy idea is he hatching? If the cracks are any indication, we’ll soon see! All this thought and talk of primitive people hides the fact that every one of us is a beginner, and individual with his or her own path and life to live. We can make use of advice and examples of those that have come before, but we each have to make our own way. If we do that authentically, who knows what we’ll hatch!

I'll be back soon with the last reading for Primordial Tarot.

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
Last day with the Primordial Tarot
The presentation to our tarot society meeting today was on Jungian archetypes. The presenter created this Personal Archetypes Tarot Spread, so I want to try it right away!

Saturday.jpg

Persona. How I present myself: Animal of Soul
I present myself as a rhinoceros. I try to be big and unmovable and well-armed but slow and not aggressive. Unless you cross me. This actually works with my rising sign, Taurus. Slow and stubborn but strong to defend what I think needs defending.

Animus. What does my other half have to say? Era of Nature
My masculine side is more submissive and more of a believer than my feminine side? Well, maybe my cynicism comes from being a woman in this crazy world. Growing up as a woman, you just realize how much of current society and popular culture is focused on controlling you and keeping you down. Even in my relatively privileged and liberal-ideal-filled life. My masculine side is more on the side of traditions supported by education and “civilization.”

Unconscious. The underlying influences: XIX. The Sun
There’s more in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in my philosophy. Real honesty and truth, real enlightenment, real innocence and goodness. Maybe?

Shadow. The aspects I don’t want to acknowledge: Birth of Jewels
I don’t want to acknowledge that I am old. I think about it all the time, but it still doesn’t really sink in. I don’t want to think I’ve wasted my life on sticking with being miserable because I didn’t know how to do otherwise. And now I’m wasting it by doing the same things over and over. The bright shadow is the older you get, the more you know, so the better you are able to create something of value.

Self. What I’m trying to achieve: Rite of Jewels
I want to BE the sun, not just know about it and accept it. What is the rite or ceremony I need to do to make the sun manifest in me?

Wow! This is a really powerful spread. I think I learned a lot here!

I’ll see you tomorrow with another new deck! Have a great evening!

Return to “This Week's Deck”