This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A week with the Ferenc Pinter Tarot (Warning: Some artistic nudity)

📆 Choose a deck you want to (re)connect with and share your thoughts and insights!
Jump in ANY TIME.
Forum rules
Very simple. Choose a deck and every day post a reading you do for yourself with that deck.This can be anything from a one-card draw to a full spread of your choosing.

In addition to your reading, you are encouraged (highly encouraged!) to talk about the deck you are using. The object of this is to inspire us to re-connect with new decks, older decks, decks we have not used in a while or just to create a deeper connection to a favourite deck.

Also, it's so interesting to us all to see other decks in use and hear about what your experience is with them.

Jump in any time, just open a thread that includes the name of the deck you are using.
Have Fun!! 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

A week with the Ferenc Pinter Tarot (Warning: Some artistic nudity)

Post by Rachelcat »

Ferenc Pinter is a contemporary Hungarian artist. He painted majors for Lo Scarabeo in 1989, and they added minors taken from his other works (mostly book and magazine covers). It was published as Tarot of the Imagination. Now republished borderless with better backs (remember those weird LS monochrome, double-ended backs?) in a nice two piece box with a larger booklet in English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian. The backs say “Carpe diem” (along with the artist’s signature) which seems like a good sentiment for a tarot deck.

Sunday1.jpg

After a quick card-by-card look-through, I’m getting a dystopian vibe. But some of the cards are quite beautiful . . . . I can forgive it anything but the Hanged Man. (We’ll see if it comes up in a reading.) Oh, and nudity warning! Most of it tastefully done, but some inexplicable, like in the High Priestess. (Again, we’ll see if she shows up.)

Enough nattering from me. On to a whole bunch of shuffling and then the interview! (And I’m going to do full moon readings later today, too.)

Sunday2.jpg

Most important characteristic: 7 Coins
The focus is on the artwork (7=Venus) as a physical thing (coins). Like the man on his bicycle enjoying both the green and dead tree parts of nature, the user of this deck must enjoy both the beauty and the strangeness of it.

Strength: Ace of Cups
(What happened to her bikini bottoms? She’s still got the top on.) The strength of the deck is the emotional impact. It’s new and different (Ace), and hits in the feels (Cups).

Weakness: 10 Wands
But it can possibly be too emotional and different to deal with. You have to commit to it to endure all of its the energy.

What can the deck teach me? Page of Cups
It can teach me to be humble and deal with emotions as they come.

How can I learn it? Justice
By weighing the good and bad, attractive and ugly, but accepting both. I like the tug of war in the background!

Outcome of our work together: 3 Swords
At first I thought there was a lot to unpack in this illustration, but now I realize it’s Salome. The soldier/executioner impassively displays the head she asked for, but the man who ordered it is now sure he’s done something that’s already destroying his peace of mind. It took all three of them to manifest (3) this violence and destruction (swords). As an outcome, working with the deck will manifest some darker ideas, but that will be intellectually (swords) effective for all that.

Ok, then. I think I can work with that! See you soon with full moon readings!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: A week with the Ferenc Pinter Tarot (Warning: Some artistic nudity)

Post by Rachelcat »

Full Moon in Aquarius (Blessing Moon), Blue Moon

This is the second full moon in Aquarius, therefore a blue moon. The previous one was July 23. Some say a blue moon is the second full moon in a calendar month, but I’m more annoyingly saying that it’s the second full moon in an astrological month. Whichever you choose, they happen about every 2½ years.

It’s also exciting for me because it switches us back to having the new moon of a certain theme/title more appropriately earlier in time than the full moon of the same theme/title. For example, next new moon is in Virgo, the Corn Moon, on September 6. The full Corn Moon in the opposite sign of Pisces is on September 20. Whew! I’ve been waiting for this to happen since I figured out all the moon names over two years ago!

So first I’ll do one more (the third) Blessing Moon reading, and then a special Blue Moon reading.

Blessing Moon, Contentment

Sunday3.JPG

What is rising in my life? Temperance
Wow, 3 majors! Here Temperance is pouring into a vase from a tap. And way in the background is someone who is NOT temperate. He’s going overboard on enjoying his drink. Rising in my life is the need to blend different aspects in my life into one well-lived life.

How is the energy moving? King of Coins
To do that, I’ll need to take charge of all the physical aspects of all the things I’ll be doing. Then everything else will fall into place.

What is being completed? Chariot
This is definitely one of the dystopian cards! It looks like a huge executioner’s cart has already run over something, and the horse hasn’t even been put in the shafts yet. This chariot isn’t going to win any races. But the traditional chariot doesn’t look like it’s going very fast either, so. A portion of my life path is almost completed.

What is slowing down? 2 Swords
This one’s got me stumped for 2 Swords. Maybe it’s going long on the beach background and short on the swords . . . I’ve already come to some conclusions about things. I just need to act on them now.

What am I making room for? Emperor
I love the fiery colors here. Is the woman someone he’s leaving behind as he goes to war or someone he’s already conquered? A negative experience for either, I guess. I need to make room for dealing with authorities. Or maybe, like with the King of Coins, I need to make room to take my own power.

This is definitely a reading of change and preparation for me. I hope I rise to the challenge.

Blue Moon, Renewal

Sunday4.jpg

The storm that has passed: 3 Coins
I no longer have to worry about money. I mean, until I have to think about retirement. But for now, I don’t worry about money and can pretty much buy anything I need or really want, including food.

The emotional baggage I’m leaving behind: King of Coins
So the challenge is not to feel like a poor person. Or a miser. I can leave that behind.

The essential energy for my healing and rejuvenation: The Hermit
Are you serious??!! I think I’ve had quite enough Hermit energy for a while! But I am an introvert, so I guess it’s saying that when the time comes to be back out in the world, I still need to go into hermit mode regularly. I love the jet high over the hermit’s cave. It makes him seem even more isolated.

My reminder from the moon: 9 Swords
Well, that’s a cheery reminder! It makes me think of the end of Hamlet when the queen drinks the poison meant for Hamlet and is the first installment of the almost complete body count at the end. And maybe that’s the reminder, to not take things in a too tragic, dramatic light. As the other cards say, I have all the physical things I need and plenty of personal space. So life can’t be all that bad, or bad at all. And definitely not tragic. And knowing that I have it good makes it easier for me to share the good that I have with others who don’t have it so good. No more miser for me!

Well, that’s it for the full moon. I hope you have a happy Sunday and a great week!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
It’s been a glorious lazy day so far. But now down to work. Or tarot! Let’s try an unusual spread. I didn’t make it up, I found it on Aeclectic a while back and reworded it. Here it is:

The Royal Court: An Advice Spread

Deal cards from the top of the deck face up until you reach the first court card.
Start a new pile until you reach another court card of a different rank.
Repeat until you end up with four piles, each topped with a court card of a different rank.

The Page with the card directly under it is something you need to learn or meditate on.
The Knight with the card directly under it is something you need to act on.
The Queen with the card directly under it is something you need to nurture.
The King with the card directly under it is something you need to master.

And here we go!

Monday1.jpg

Something I need to learn: Page of Cups and Chariot
I need to learn to follow my heart in practical things and move forward.

Monday2.jpg

Something I need to act on: Knight of Wands and Wheel
I need to move forward (again!) and just accept what chance brings me. Here’s another dystopian major. Maybe the people on top of the wheel are having sex (although it looks quite uncomfortable). And far in the background is a skeleton/death with his own wheel. So it’s the circle of life in a bad dream. And it’s just a matter of chance if we’re creating life or ending it.

Monday3.jpg

Something I need to nurture: Queen of Wands and 7 Coins
I need to nurture my love of nature by being active. Loving nature includes taking care of my body. And that can be for appearances as well as health.

Monday4.jpg

Something I need to master: King of Cups and 10 Swords
I need to be master of my emotions when faced with fanaticism and violence. Well, this is dramatic! And bloody. But it is a good illustration of the mind/swords thing because it beheading! And also because beheading is usually a symptom of rigidity at the least and fanaticism at the most.

Wow, I feel like the spread worked! Have a great day, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
I have a short phone interview this afternoon for my volunteer tutoring gig. How will it go?
All-Purpose Spread

Tuesday.jpg

Me: 9 Swords
I’ll be a little (a lot) overly dramatic. Or feel guilty about something.

Issue: 7 Cups
The interview will be emotionally fraught. What is going on here?
The bicyclist seems to be calmly enjoying the view, but emotional black clouds are over him. And the view.

Outcome: Tower
Oh good! What the heck??!! I guess don’t ask if I don’t want the answer.
That’s a serious break in the tower! What could have caused that? Maybe a cannonball. I don’t think a lightning strike could do that. Just as well, though. All those horses can’t fit in there anyway.

Advice: 9 Wands
And the advice isn’t much better. Protect myself. It can’t possibly be that bad . . .
The two 9s lining up like that make it seem like it will be my problem. Again, what the heck?
This guy is protecting himself by hiding out or being out of reach in the branches, not by fighting back.

Well, that didn’t go well. Maybe I’ll wait and see how the interview really goes and come back to see if this make more sense then. In the meantime, enjoy your day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
Opportunity, Challenge, Resolution

Wednesday.jpg

Opportunity: 3 Wands
I have the opportunity to move on and make a change in my life.
I like the banner flying over her head. Even though she’s standing still, there is movement. It gives the impression she’s going to be doing something drastic any minute. Maybe go out and face the enemy. Dude peeking over the wall is afraid of them, but she’s not.

Challenge: Judgement
But the challenge is to make it a change for the better, a real life change, not just a change because I’m bored of the old.
Rather than showing the liberation of a new day, this is showing the first seconds of that process, when the people have just heard the call of the horn and don’t quite know what it is yet, and what they should do about it. And they’re still cramped and stiff from being stuffed into a small space. It’s going to take them a minute to stand up straight and act on the call.

Resolution: The High Priestess
To make it an important, meaningful change, I have to listen to my intuition and be honest with myself about what it is I want to do and why.
Here’s the inexplicable nudity. She has her book open but her eyes closed. Maybe she’s reflecting on what she’s just read, making it real to herself, not just someone else’s words. Why is there a tiny dude in her book? Maybe that’s the author. She thinks about him a little, but he diminishes as her own understanding grows.

Good to have all new cards today! I hope you’re all having a good day. See you tomorrow!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
What do I need to know about collecting and my collection?
All-Purpose Spread

Thursday.jpg

Me: Judgement
I’m really going through some serious changes in my life. Do decks still have a place with me?

Collecting: King of Swords
The issue is an intellectual one. Only I can decide what I want to do. And collecting is a fun intellectual game for me. I organize, reorganize, mull over my list and potential new purchases, what to keep, what to get rid of, etc.
This is a great King of Swords. He’s all head! And that amazing collar, whatever it is. He definitely looks like someone who’s in charge because he’s the smartest person in the room, and he knows it.

Outcome: 9 Cups
In the end, I’ll do whatever makes me happy. I’ll hit the happy medium (little Temperance) of collecting, not too much, not too little. Goldilocks all the way down.
Not sure why his chair is like a nest, but I like the guitar for this card. Not only is he entertaining and enjoying himself, but it works for Temperance. If the strings are too loose, they won’t make a sound. If they’re too tight, they break. If they’re at the right tension, they make enjoyable sounds together.

Advice: 10 Coins
This is St. Francis preaching to the birds. The advice is that I shouldn’t consider only my own enjoyment, but how it effects everyone I come in contact with. Collecting can be good for spreading the wealth around to artists and fellow tarot lovers! It could be bad for the environment (so much ink!) or for my budget that I could use for more charitable purposes. All the considerations count.
Good to see a completely positive card in this deck! He is blessing everything, the birds, nature, and the whole world. And the bird and trees are receiving it and enjoying it.

Have a great evening, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
Why the who is in the what

Friday.jpg

Ace of Cups, King of Wands, 3 Wands, Lovers
In the emotional realm (Ace), I want to use my energy (King) to move forward (3) toward a more substantial, fuller connection with people (Lovers). I was just lamenting the fact that I don’t have any travel planned for the foreseeable future. Maybe I feel like want to travel because I want to meet and interact with new people.

This King of Wands is very fiery in color, but he seems more like a swordsy, self-identified intellectual to me. The awkwardness of his hands looks like he’s twisting his ideas into knots as much as he is his fingers.

At last, a non-dystopian major! These lovers are lovely, with spring springing all around them. I guess that means it’s new love? I’m still trying to figure out their pose (are they laying down or sitting up?), but the card is pleasant and positive.

Have a wonderful Friday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
Last day for Ferenc Pinter Tarot
Angels and Virtues because I don’t have a question but want to use a larger spread!

Saturday1.jpg

Gifts to receive

Gabriel, potential: King of Swords
I’ll take it! I’d like to realize the potential to be an expert or a leader who has a vision of how things should be.

Raphael, healing: 8 Cups
Well, yeah, my healing is letting go of old painful and self-doubting feelings. I’ll take that, too!
He’s glad he let the bird escape, and now he’s heading home to live without it.

Michael, discernment: Queen of Coins
I WILL be able to get a handle on my finances and use what I have to do what I feel is best for myself and others.
She’s a beautiful lady and she knows it. She creates an effect with jewels, fashion, and a well crafted hairstyle.

Uriel, something needed: Queen of Cups
Hmm, what physical object is represented by the Queen of Cups? A ship? I will get to go on a trip that I really need!
This queen isn’t as glamorous as the other, but she knows her business of watching the sea and emotions. I like her naval costume!

Actions to do

Fortitude, stand for something: 5 Coins
I need to stay strong and really help people in need.
An empty room evocative of poverty, one pair of boots, unpainted walls, and an empty glass.

Temperance, take in moderation: Sun
I need to do what’s right, and I can enjoy that, but I shouldn’t try to be seen for it or praised for it.
This is kind of a scary fiery sun. Maybe it’s Phaethon beginning to lose control of the chariot and about to fall from the sky.

Justice, be fair: 2 Coins
Goes with 5 Coins across the way, doesn’t it? I need to balance my finances so I can help myself and others. It’s only fair.
This magician has a lot to do. While balancing a Mobius of devils and angels, he’s also working a marionette. Oddly, his audience is another marionette, but a free one. This one is going to take some unpacking, but today it means balancing finances!

Prudence, get the big picture: Temperance
Hmm, Temperance in the Prudence position. It’s makes practical sense to keep things on an even keel. It really works with the rest of the spread, especially 2 Coins. It’s all about sharing, balancing, finance, and what to keep and what to give away. I’m getting the big picture here!

Thanks for playing along this week. This is an interesting deck, but I don’t know how much I’ll end up using it. Well, one good thing, the Hanged Man never showed up.

Saturday2.jpg

Now you know why not getting it is good! Have a happy weekend. I’ll be back tomorrow with a (very) different deck!

Return to “This Week's Deck”