This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

This Week’s Deck, Tarot of the Hidden Realm

📆 Choose a deck you want to (re)connect with and share your thoughts and insights!
Jump in ANY TIME.
Forum rules
Very simple. Choose a deck and every day post a reading you do for yourself with that deck.This can be anything from a one-card draw to a full spread of your choosing.

In addition to your reading, you are encouraged (highly encouraged!) to talk about the deck you are using. The object of this is to inspire us to re-connect with new decks, older decks, decks we have not used in a while or just to create a deeper connection to a favourite deck.

Also, it's so interesting to us all to see other decks in use and hear about what your experience is with them.

Jump in any time, just open a thread that includes the name of the deck you are using.
Have Fun!! 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

This Week’s Deck, Tarot of the Hidden Realm

Post by Rachelcat »

Happy Sunday, everyone! This week is a good week to join in on This Week’s Deck, but you’re welcome any time, of course!

My deck this week is Tarot of the Hidden Realm. I’ve had it for quite a while, and have the Fool’s Dog app, mostly because it makes the book so handy! That said, I don’t think I’ve ever done a real or serious reading with it, or any reading at all maybe?

I’m not a big fairy deck fan, but this deck is different. It’s really got something special going on. I like the character close-ups style, and the realism. There’s nary a wing in sight except those sewn onto the children’s costumes in one of the cards. There’s pretty much pointed ears and that’s it. The deck gives me the impression of an alternate reality in which everyone lives in the woods.

I also feel like I want to contrast it with another character-driven deck, the Touchstone. I couldn’t get anything from the Touchstone even though I tried. But I think it might have been because the art was altered, not because it was a deck of close-ups. I had the same problem with the altered art of the Impressionist Tarot. Because I was UNfamiliar with the art, I was hesitant to read meanings into it that in reality just aren’t there. If I knew exactly what I was looking at, I would have been able to see and wink with the quotations or allusions. Or something.

The Hidden Realm is beautiful. Naturalistic, as I said, with Celtic knot work backgrounds. Borderless cards with gold title blocks. Art by Julia Jeffrey, book by Barbara Moore, published by Llewellyn.

Enough intro! On to the interview!

Sunday.jpg

Most important characteristic: King of Pentacles
The deck is nurturing, protecting, and devoted. Its beauty and physical presentation are key to its appeal and strength.

Strength: X. Fortune Fairy
The deck is good for divination. It might even be likely to give favorable determinations. The dandelion crown is so sunny, bright, and positive! She’s sure her wish will come true.

Weakness: Nine of Swords
The deck’s negative cards are dramatic. They portrays fear a little too well! But fears are just fears. If they’re not real, you have nothing to fear.

What can it teach me: IV. The Emperor
The deck can teach me how to be a boss. Because he’s like the King below, I think it can teach me how to take charge but with consideration and care. The Emperor is listening to news from the crows. So the deck can also teach me to use my intuition more. Take charge by letting go of preconceived notions.

How can I learn it? XIV. Temperance
With a mix of taking charge and letting go, a mix of intuition and learning.

Outcome of our work together: Four of Pentacles
One of the few cards in this deck that doesn’t have people/fairies, and that makes it just that much sweeter. In the background is an ancient burial mound that has been uncovered by the work of time, but the badger’s work of protecting its young is even older. The outcome is that I’m somehow bound to this deck over time, and I will learn to treasure it, like the badger treasures her children.

Well, that was fun, and easy! I have a feeling my good feelings about this deck are going to be confirmed this week. Have a very happy Sunday! See you for more tomorrow!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: This Week’s Deck, Tarot of the Hidden Realm

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
Opportunity, Challenge, Resolution

Monday.jpg

Opportunity: Two of Swords
I have the opportunity to make an important decision, but it has to come from a place of quiet and confidence.

Challenge: Seven of Pentacles
The challenge is to wait for the outcome of the decision to manifest. And to enjoy the wait and the growth it brings.

Resolution: Five of Cups
If all that happens, a lot of emotional suffering will be washed away. The horses of self-doubt won’t be galloping around inside my head quite as much as usual!

I’m not sure how this applies to me. I’m just weaving a story from the pictures. But I think in general it’s saying that troubles that I thought would never leave my memory have done their job, and are now making way for new occupants of my mind, hopefully more pleasant ones!

As my co-worker from many years ago used to say, from my mouth to God’s ear!

Have a happy Monday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
Should I go to the Pathways conference, or is it still too covidy out there?
Cross part of the Celtic Cross.

Tuesday.jpg

Me: I. The Magician
I’m a free agent. I have the ability to do whatever I want. I want to make something important happen. And I can if I want to.

Cover: XVIII. The Moon
But fear of the unknown is slowing me down. I really don’t know the best thing to do. Also how can I be sure people are vaccinated who say they are. What if there are children there? Lots of questions and not many answers. The atmosphere is that there are too many unknowns.

Cross: XIV. Temperance
A “blended” approach might be a bad idea. Going into a crowd but with a mask, not touching stuff, etc. Better to be all no rather than yes to some, no to others.

Crown: Ten of Cups
I want it to be a love fest of esoteric people getting together to have fun and support each other. But will it be?

Beneath: Page of Cups
I’ve been kind of operating under the impression that the combination of the organizers and the hotel will do the right thing to keep everyone safe. But that might be too trusting, and I’m in charge of my own safety and that of people I have contact with.

Behind: IX. The Hermit
Well, that’s appropriate! I know it’s not just me, but a lot of people will be wanting to get out of the house and connect with likeminded people at a day-long activity like this.

Before: Four of Cups
I’m going to decide not to go but keep my safety concerns to myself. Everyone can decide for themselves.

Hmm, maybe not the right spread for this question, but I tried to make it work! All majors and cups (with the cups of Temperance, too), so it’s an important question, and the answer depends on how I feel.

Did I mention that this is a beautiful deck? (I think I did!) I look forward to another reading tomorrow! See you then!

archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

Thank you for sharing your readings. I've just purchased the digital version of this deck. It's beautiful! I'm not really a fairy person but a description of it where someone said it was like all these lovely people had just gone off to live in the forest kind of sold me on it. Because how I'd love to do that.

It's so very character-driven and with less accoutrements than the Touchstone, so I'm not sure how I'll go reading it.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Good luck with your readings! Yes, it's nice to have the app for quick access to the book. Enjoy!

Now for today:
Wednesday
I have a mild case of poison ivy in various places, including my face and neck. It’s not horrible, but it’s REALLY annoying AND ugly. Am I going to get better soon?
All-Purpose Spread

Wednesday.jpg

Me: VI. The Lovers
I want connection and with people, and I can’t do that because I look a sight. That’s what’s bothering me the most. We’re having a happy hour in the office tomorrow, and I’m not going to go because nobody wants to see this!

Issue: X. Fortune Fairy
I’m lucky it isn’t worse? I guess that’s true, but it’s also not very helpful. Also lucky I have the option of staying home instead of grossing people out. Ok.

Outcome: Nine of Swords
I will get more worried about it than I am now before it’s all over. But it’s not a serious health thing. But I’ll worry that it might be. Also she’s hiding, but not very effectively. And that’s me now. I’m hiding from my friends and coworkers, but I’m still taking my walks in the morning. In hiding sunglasses, but that’s not every effective.

Advice: 0. The Fool
Don’t worry. Just accept it as part of life and keep on keeping on. Accept it and investigate it with curiosity instead of fear and worry, like the fool is observing the butterfly. Isn’t this the best fool ever?

It seems like I’m getting a lot of the same cards, but I guess they’re the cards I need to be seeing.

Have a happy day, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
Witches of Oz Spread for no apparent reason

Thursday.jpg

Wicked Witch of the East: A negative in my life I’ve already overcome: Eight of Wands
I have been able to plan an action and then execute it. I’ve overcome ennui and stagnation. Sounds good!

Wicked Witch of the West: A challenge I’m dealing with currently: Nine of Swords
Definitely, because it keeps coming up! I’m worried and concerned about things beyond my control. I’m obsessing about justice, when I should just be taking care of myself and my own issues.

Glinda the Good Witch of the North: Something or someone helping me with that challenge: Seven of Cups
I usually read this as a negative card because it’s an overload of emotions with nothing to balance it out, but as a positive, I can overcome worries and obsession by feeling my way. Follow my feelings instead of my mind. That’s where I need to be.

Good Witch of the South: Something good coming to me that I don’t know about yet! Four of Pentacles
Another repeating card. Again, sometimes a negative, “miser” card, I can read this by the picture. I will soon be guarding something I treasure.

Me as I receive all these influences: Page of Cups
Another repeater! This really just confirms the Seven. The real me that needs to accept these good things and reject the worries is an emotional me. The page doesn’t just feel, she gives out good feelings, too. So I should tune into good feelings for myself, and spreading them around is a good way to help myself and others!

This deck seems so familiar, like a friend giving me good advice that I can trust. Have a wonderful evening, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
Why the who is in the what

Friday.jpg

In my studying (Ace of Swords), I’m a beginner in a new area of learning that I feel very emotional about (Page of Cups). Through that, I’ll open up a helpful relationship with someone (Two of Cups). Because my earlier studies really are at an end (Death).

I don’t know what kind of bird that is, but he’s perfect for swords: feathery and airy and very sharp!

I didn’t notice until I have the side by side that the woman in the Two of Cups IS the Page. You can tell by her facial tattoos that it’s the same person. Good to see her (almost) connect with someone.

This is a very active, red Death. A little scary, and I’m usually not scared of the Death card at all. And the crow is also a bit menacing by being so close. But I guess that works for death. You never know when endings swoop down on you.

Have a very happy Friday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
Full moon in Leo, Blessing Moon

Saturday.jpg

Moon rise: What is rising in my life? XVII. The Star
Blessings and wonder are rising in my life. Since this is a Blessing Moon reading, seems appropriate. And this child is just so full of wonder at the life before him.

Flow: How is the energy moving? XVI. The Blasted Beech
To receive it I have to let something else go, even if it’s scary. These people are falling from their home in a tree. They’re being forced to give up what’s familiar to them. But for me, wonder will be on the other side.

Highest point: What is being completed? V. Hierophant
That’s what I need to let go of, religion and accepted wisdom and authority. It’s almost completed!

Ebb: What is slowing down? Two of Wands
This is the card with the wings. You can plainly see they’re sewn onto the children’s costumes. Bold move for a fairy deck! My action and participation in religion and spirituality is definitely slowing down to nothing!

Moon set: What am I making room for? Queen of Swords
All this letting go is making room for me to be a queen of swords, a true materialist but a humanist one. (Can you tell I’ve been reading a lot of philosophy these days?)

Wow, this is a powerful reading, pretty much telling me what I already know, but making it important by couching it in major cards and court card.

That’s it for Tarot of the Hidden Realm. I think I’ve confirmed that it is indeed something special. See you tomorrow with a new deck!

Return to “This Week's Deck”