This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

March TdM Sign-Up

This month, I'd prefer

A BIG SPREAD
20%
a little spread
80%

Total votes: 5

Charlie Brown
Sage

March TdM Sign-Up

Post by Charlie Brown »

Hello all,

This will be where we sign up for the March 2020 TdM reading circle. Things are probably going to look a little different this month in terms of the circle make-up, so I'd like to get a sense of who's in before I assign stuff. In the meantime, there's a quiz.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Diana
Sage

Re: March TdM Sign-Up

Post by Diana »

I voted small as there wasn't the option "either".

I prefer small but am quite willing to go out of my comfort zone if others prefer a large spread. I'm a three to five card person habitually.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Aoife
Sybil

Post by Aoife »

I voted 'little' - but I'm not sure I have the space to sign up this month.
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

I'm here :)
I voted too, but I'm easy either way.

Maybe we could do a small 3 position spread but pull 3 cards for each position.

That way then we all get the best of both worlds ;)
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Love is the law, love under will.

The nature of Will is Love, and it is brought to fruition through Love.
iMoodyCrab
Seer

Post by iMoodyCrab »

I'm in & I've voted :)
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Alright. So, IMoodyCrab and AeonHorus will be paired this month.

This month, I think we should go back to the very first TdM circle and do a spread called the Triptych. It's a three-card, majors-only spread, in which one main card is elaborated/clarified by two neighboring cards. Here is a description of the spread. There are also several reading examples in the archive.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=376

Also, If Aoife decides that she wants to participate this month, she and I will pair up.
AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

You mean this...

This was all majors only.
1. One card answers
2. Triptychs—a three-card draw (2-1-3) in which cards 2 and 3 are not read independently, but are commentaries and/or elaborations on the basic answer presented in the middle card.
3. Three-card lines (1-2-3) in more or less the fashion we all understand them.
The author gave a cleaver analogy between this progression of reading and a progression of religious representations in the Renaissance or some such. With a one-card draw, you're getting a single image, like in an illumination from a sacred manuscript.

While the triptych is similar to, you guessed it, a triptych, which was an extremely popular medium for sacred art in the Renaissance, all the real action is still happening in the middle, but we get a lot more context and flavor with the sides.

When you start reading lines of three or more left-to-right, it then becomes like you're actually reading the scriptures/sacred texts. And then, of course, you have the tirage-en-croix.

FWIW, my gut tells me that the triptych approach is the root of what ultimately became elemental dignities.

......................................................................................

Are we able to read using elemental dignities ?

Or just simply tell a story of what we see in the triptych, middle to left, middle to right

Am I seeing that right ? :)
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

AeonHorus
Sybil

Post by AeonHorus »

I can't see any sample readings in that thread lol...

The instructions are in another link in theat thread too :)

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=346#p1672
For this first month, we are going to use a style of spread called the triptych. It consists of three cards and is read from the inside out...middle card first, described by charliebrown here: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=346#p1672. We will begin by using majors only. I think this will be fun for all and that we should be able to glean plenty of meaning using the majors.
Aeon Horus
Cosmological
Psychologist

Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

The sample readings are all of that month's exchanges. They'll be in their own threads. viewforum.php?f=82
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Is it still possible to sign up for this? I’m newer to the TdM but have been deep diving into it in the last few months and want more practice reading with it for others.

Thanks so much!
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Unfortunately, this month's circle is closed. If you like, however, you can answer this for me:

How can I best maintain my composure in the midst of all this stress?
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Charlie Brown wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 21:51 Unfortunately, this month's circle is closed. If you like, however, you can answer this for me:

How can I best maintain my composure in the midst of all this stress?
I understand and thanks for the opportunity! Using the triptych method, this is what I pulled:

I’m seeing Le Chariot singularly as your end goal: Composure in the face of stress. Not only is our charioteer taking a victory lap, but is armored against external forces.

Pulling out to the larger triptych, the charioteer has locked gazes with L’Imperatrice. L’Imperatrice is seated comfortably and confidently, holding a shield. Her throne reaches around her sides and behind, enclosing her. If you have a partner or close confidant, this is a time for mutual support and aid, as you both have qualities that can reinforce the strengths of the other.

The charioteer is turned away from La Lune, but the moon is looking right at the back of the charioteer’s head. Notably, the horses in the chariot card are also not looking at the moon and could easily run right into the pool where our lobster dwells. This is exacerbated by the fact that the charioteer hasn’t bothered to take the reins of the chariot. I’m reading hidden dangers here. It’s important to face your stress upfront and honestly so you can avoid the unexpected potholes and pitfalls of this journey. This may be a time for shadow work so you aren’t knocked on your butt by unconscious behaviors or biases.

Finally I’m seeing a through line on all three cards: Crowns. The domed crown of L’Imperatrice becomes an open crown on the charioteer, becomes the lunar rays surrounding the moon. I’m seeing this as remain open minded, don’t let the stress close you off too much. This could be another sign that shadow work will help keep you open.

I hope that’s useful, thank you again for giving me the opportunity to read and I’ll sign up for the next April one when it’s available. :)
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

That's a great reading. Thank you. Yes, I do have a spouse and we've been leaning on each other through all of this, so that's right on the money. I think that's an especially interesting observation about doing the shadow work. I'm going to have to let that marinate. If you're interested here's where I've been at mentally: What I've been thinking for myself is that I need to have a bit more, shall we say, ego. I've been working on being more humble, open, etc. etc. and I've been thinking that maybe I need to get back to being a bit more of an asshole rock star in order to build up to confidence to get through what I have to do. When I first saw the Chariot/Moon combo, I, Iike you, noticed that he has his back to the moon. My first impression was that it was saying just ignore the bad stuff, keep it out of your mind, etc. Your reading suggests that that might not be possible and even if it is might not be the best way to go about things. I think that's important to hear.

Thank you again. I thought that was strong.
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Thank you for the kind words. I’ve always seen Le Chariot as a big ego card, not in a positive or negative sense, just that the charioteer seems like a figure whose ego tends to dominate. So that seems to indicate that card is a good fit for where you are at right now.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Your observation about the chariot's structure was most welcome.

Return to “Tarot de Marseille Group: Hosted by Charlie Brown”